Is alcohol (storage/ingestion) tolerated at your station?

vs-eh?

If people see partys at the station with alcohol they assume we also drink while waiting. Why do anymore damage to our image? We all talk about becoming professionals but this goes completely against that! I'm all for partys at the station, but fun can be had w/o alcohol.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No alcohol period. Same rule applies in all places I've worked, no alcohol consumption 24 hours prior to work.

All the volunteer stations I've had the opportunity to work will GO OUT for parties (i.e. Christmas, birthdays) they do not "find coverage" and drink on the premises. The one and ONLY time I've ever heard of an entire station closing for any period of time and having another department come in for coverage is for a funeral of a coworker.

As for the unopened inside a vehicle, if Billy Bob has his cooler of beer and is on his way to go fishing, typically he'd have his cooler closed. Therefore if he stopped by to say goodbye before venturing off, I wouldn't know it's there, unless he told/showed/got one out.

Tolerated and allowed are two very different areas. It has taken many years of court battles to actually adopt Zero Tolerance policies in many EMS and Fire companies. Tolerance has also come in the form of co-workers looking the other way when off duty personnel show up with alcohol at a station. It also comes in the form of knowing you partner is not quite "right" due to off duty drinking and/or on duty drinking. But, you keep your mouth shut because he/she is going through some rough times and you don't want to jeopardize their jobs. Years ago before we had zero tolerance policies where some EMS companies would fire both partners. Then, the court systems got involved.

The NAEMT just this year came out with their position on Zero Tolerance. Most companies adopted their policies officially after 2003 when a couple of court decisions were finally decided. Much of this has to due with the possibility of random drug and alcohol testing that might come with a Zero Tolerance policy. People don't want their rights violated. The other argument is "tradition". Much of this also comes unfortunately from some fire departments. Although, the large private ambulance companies bought out many "traditional" ambulance services that were more laxed. Some isolated and low call volume stations are harder to supervise. I, myself, remember a couple good parties at one of our nicer residental stations. "I cannot recall if the crew members on duty were drinking". Of course, if there actually was a policy in effect, all of us should have been fired.

It would be naive to think that alcohol is not being ingested in some of the many EMS stations across the country. Tolerated, yes. Granted, many of the news making examples are concerning the fire departments, EMS is part of many of those fire departments. I agree that what should be commonsense isn't always what the argument is about.

Example:

http://firefighting.com/articles/namFullView.asp?namID=8676

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...BAGB15K1SK1.DTL

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c...BAGR6BR9LU1.DTL

There are several volunteer fire departments in this area that have large banquet halls attached to their stations. They raise enough money to support their fire department operations with weddings, parties and other functions. Alcohol is purchased by the renters and firefighters work the events as bartenders and set up and clean up functions. While working the event they are not permitted to respond to fire calls and do not drink. They get paid to work the event. I don't see anything wrong with this.

Otherwise alcohol in the fire or EMS station is a very bad idea.

Live long and prosper.

Spock

We have a zero tolerance policy. No drinking while on duty, as if you needed a law or rule to state this. It should be common sense.

Our we that simple that we need to reference a a list of policies to figure out what isn't appropriate behavior.

There will be an answer for changes, it's called litigation. When the fire chief, (you can bank upon the attorneys are already salivating) awakens (if) there will be one hell of a law suit. Even though, he was in command, there will attempts that he was not closely monitored and etc... etc.. After the first million or two, they will change their policy. The same is true, allowing alcohol consumption upon city property.. an accident occurs, or a DWI kills someone... whammo And rightfully should get their arse sued!

How can any city claim it is all right to consume alcohol beverages and participate in any city activity? As well, the city should not be endorsing alcohol consumption, if they have any sense... geez!

R/r 911

No Alcohol on the property, at any time. If a member was drinking at home, they cannot be on a call or on the property until at least 16 hours afterward. If someone smells of liquor or beer, unless they work as a bartender, they are suspended for 30 days. Alcohol use on the grounds is a 60 day suspension. We have a company picnic and dinners, but they are also dry, there are children there. We don't want their mommy or daddy driving them home drunk. What kind of example does it set if you have firemen drinking and responding to emergencies? Billy Goldfeder will be all over that on his secret list.

No smoking in the building either, it's 115 years old, don't need it burning down. It'll do that on its own some day. :roll:

No Way no How!!!! Having it on the property will just create problems. People see it and of course assume that it is being used. Don't show up on scene if you have had anything in at least 8 hrs.

Yes, we are volunteer, but we don't have to look like bumbling idiots. We are still expected to maintain an atmosphere of professionalism.

I know depts. that do have it at their stations. I have seen depts. bring a cooler along to parades. Never made sense to me. Who (what chief) in their right mind would let a cooler go on a truck, and then trust someone to drive that $300,000.00 vehicle home. Doesn't make sense. Never will.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.