Is alcohol (storage/ingestion) tolerated at your station?

vs-eh?

As we all know, if we get into a motor vehicle crash while in the ambulance, we are automatically at fault because we had to drive with "due regard". I'll then have to automatically take a urine test.

I don't need any alcohol in my system to make me look criminal.

One of the places I ride at has a 24 hour alcohol consumption rule. You are not to drink any alcohol within 24 hours before a shift. I follow that rule strictly and make sure I find coverage if I have a social event ( like my brother's recent wedding).

I wouldn't want to smell beer on my EMT, fire fighter, or police officer just like you wouldn't want to smell tequila on your doctor before a surgery.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

um...u guys completely missed my point. I think drinking on the job is wrong in any kind of professional workplace however I still feel that storing it for entertainment use for those not on the job. I guess at an ambulance core there is absolutely no use for it but at a firehouse where we also make use of the party hall for recreational activities

um...u guys completely missed my point. I think drinking on the job is wrong in any kind of professional workplace however I still feel that storing it for entertainment use for those not on the job. I guess at an ambulance core there is absolutely no use for it but at a firehouse where we also make use of the party hall for recreational activities

Are you from Patterson, NJ?

If anyone out there is currently sitting at your computer typing a defense for drinking any amount of alcohol while on duty or at the station, stop what you're doing and go rip up your certs.

Not every department has a zero tolerance policy and if they do, it may be interpreted differently. As long as there are lawyers and union reps, there will be excuses made and the behavior may or may not be punished. The alcohol scandal in the SFFD department 2 years ago showed the nation the meaning of "case by case" partiality.

Not every department has a zero tolerance policy and if they do it may be interpreted differently. As long as there are lawyers and union reps, there will be excuses made and the behavior may or may not be punished. The alcohol scandal in the SFFD department 2 years ago showed the nation the meaning of "case by case" partiality.

As an educated person Vent, I assume you aren't defending this.

What are the "case by case" basis' people are using for drinking alcohol while on volly or paid (or whatever) EMS/Fire stations?

Of course I'm not defending it. I just had the displeasure of reading about it for several months in the SF Chronicle with my morning coffee. I actually found it absurd that there were defenses made for the behavior. But then, we can find reason to justify almost any type of human behavior as defense against a violation of our perceived rights.

And then, there are the "functional" alcoholics who are may or may not be known by fellow co-workers. If anyone has been around for more than 5 years in the business, they probably know someone who has an alcohol or substance abuse problem and is still on duty.

While it's obvious that no alcohol can be allowed in the system of on-duty personel, I really don't see anything wrong with storing it.

I may think differently because of our (ridiculous) system where you can't buy any alcohol (not even beer) anywhere except in state-run liqour stores. Can't exactly pick it up at a gas station on the way home.

there are no excuses for on duty personnel to be drinking or to have consumed alcohol within a sensible period before duty (at least 8 hours , quite probably more and themore you've had the longer theperiod needs to be ... little or no point getting wound up a bout a beer or a glass of wine ar 2200 when you areo n duty at 0700 - but a serious drinking session ending at midnight when you are on duty at 0800... )

there are no real excuses for off duty personnel to consume alcohol on station etc ... 'on the premises' might be a little different - imagine a service with a community hall on the same parcel of land - is this on the premises or not ?

to be brutally honest there should be no issue with unopened sealed containers of drink being stored in people's own vehicles in the car park ( assuming they don't respond in them - when it becomes part of 'work') or in their lockers ... would you do the same for a sealed packet of cigarettes although you have a no smoking on duity / on station rule ... ?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.