Is alcohol (storage/ingestion) tolerated at your station?

vs-eh?

This is obviously playing off this thread...

http://www.emtcity.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.ph...asc&start=0

For those that haven't read it...

Essentially, it contains arguments/explanations for allowing drinking at a Fire/EMS station (volunteer is mentioned) or at minimum tolerating alcohol to be allowed even on the premises and its ingestion given certain "circumstances".

Now I'll say this...

I've never worked as a volunteer and have been a professional paramedic my entire EMS career (as limited as that may be). I also work in a very large urban service and as such have never been privy to the assistance of any volunteer (what I would consider volunteer, not a lifeguard or something).

My question as per the topic...

If there is an indifferent or (dare I say) "yes" answer, I would like to hear the rational.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I cannot see a time when alcohol would be aloud in our station. I can safely assume that ones employment wound be immediately terminated if any sort of alcohol was brought onto the premises. We think we run a fairly professional department and wish to keep it that way.

Since we don't have to go to the Brewers Retail ( or is it Beer Store now?) it is easy to pickup on the way home. The only instance I can recall in my short tenure here, is once Johnny Red was goin' fishin' and had his cooler full in the back of his pickup. He was told to leave the premises immediately and given 3 days to think about why.

The answer is "NO" here, i am also a professional, and surrounded by 3 different fire districts that have recently become paid (within the past 3 years). these guy/girls have NO alcohol in/ on/ or around their district properties. we have NO alcohol allowed either, not even for cooking. NO tolerance, NO question!!

the perception of the public, if this were to happen, would destroy the reputation of our profession in this area, and we have worked way to hard in many different aspects to gain the public's respect!

Not only is it not allowed at bases..A person on duty cannot, or is not supposed to, ingest alcohol 8 hrs prior to working..We have had terminations for violating this policy as have other companies/counties. This should be zero tolerance....

Not only is it not allowed at bases..A person on duty cannot, or is not supposed to, ingest alcohol 8 hrs prior to working..We have had terminations for violating this policy as have other companies/counties. This should be zero tolerance....

Ours is either 8 or 12. It doesn't matter much to me, I work so much at my FT job I never drink anyways.

First of all alcohol on the job is ridiculous. But my argument is our dept has a party hall in 2 of the stations. Why is it wrong to have dry departments when parties such as the banquet could be held and the ones who are of age can partake in such beverages.

First of all alcohol on the job is ridiculous. But my argument is our dept has a party hall in 2 of the stations. Why is it wrong to have dry departments when parties such as the banquet could be held and the ones who are of age can partake in such beverages.

Go on...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.