• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer anal.

And, of course, tis more blessed to give than to receive. :twisted:

:shock:

I think I'll stick with the anal.
:shock: :shock:

I'm begining to think our friend Dust is a 'pitcher' :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Yeah, I'm not sure which would be more unpleasant: getting an NG tube, or having to swallow 50 nasty cc's of that stuff.

I think I'll stick with the anal.

Dust, you animal. I didn't know you preferred it that way!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:

I don't suggest it if there is an alternative route. I had to reprimand an employee as it is not a routine route of D50w. If they are able to eat, drink, why not give oral glucose or high protein food?

R/r 911

My thoughts exactly. If they can eat let them eat.

I haven given D50 PO several times, without problem. The problem with Glucagon is that it does not work as well in obese patients, and you are kind of fighting the clock.

The other option is D50 rectally, usually via ETT tube in the anus (please lube), but again, you have absorption issues as it relates to time.

I can not recommend the following in every scenario, but should be added for thought. I have given D50 in small sips to patients with altered LOC (still talking or moaning). I have found that diabetics seem to have that 6th sense to swallow when they are in trouble. I know this is contrary to everything you have ever heard, but I have done it (again, starting with small squirts or swallows).

Like I said in another post, the thought of PR D50 has always been the movtivation that I needed to find the only vein left. But when faced with life/death, PR D50 is better than nothing at all. And of course, no one said you had to use the biggest ETT in your kit. And it is a good motivator for that diabetic patient that you see 3-4 times per month; once he/she wakes up with an ETT tube in the butt, they seem to suddenly get better at remembering to eat after they take their insulin.

And the comments about eating and drinking are correct (instead of oral D50). If I remember right, a 12oz can of cola has about 39 grams of sugar, versus the 25gms in D50, if you have a cola to offer. When I have given oral D50, it was in business settings without food/drink nearby.

I don't suggest it if there is an alternative route. I had to reprimand an employee as it is not a routine route of D50w. If they are able to eat, drink, why not give oral glucose or high protein food?

R/r 911

Indeed! My original question though was which would increase BGL quicker, oral paste or D50?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.