Drinking D50

My understanding is that Oral D50 would raise the blood glucose level faster because it is already in the form that does not have to be metabolized by the body, but it would not raise it as high or for as long. Providing the paste (essentially corn syrup) works slower, but because the body has to metabolise it, it will last longer and raise the BGL higher.

Adding more complex foods such as pizza results in a longer lasting and more controlled resolution to the hypoglycemia because of the time it takes to convert those complex carbs into dextrose. Personally, I'd stick to the D50 for IV and a more appropriate oral solution for patients able to respond to commands.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm guessing you cannot drink D50, since if it infiltrates that is bad, causes tissue necrosis. So if it is above 40 and they are conscious and have patent airway give them the oral glucose.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I have never had someone drink D50. But picture this scenario, no IV access, no food anywhere. 1 amp of D50. haha. I guess I would t/p though b/c no food around would prolly mean I would be back soon.

I have never had someone drink D50. But picture this scenario, no IV access, no food anywhere. 1 amp of D50. haha. I guess I would t/p though b/c no food around would prolly mean I would be back soon.

English please...?

This isn't an AOL chat.

NO... really?!

*Facepalm*

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Some how I doubt that ingestion is an acceptable form of disposal.....

Exactly. If she thinks this is acceptable behaviour, how do I know that she doesn't think it's okay to "waste" leftover morphine on herself?

I'm not taking that risk. She's fired.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.