Drinking D50

There is one other route that is gross, but if no venous access you can always go rectal. It causes a big mess, but with an unconscious, unresponsive BS<50, I saw almost immediate results. Just one more option.

I'm almost positive the "almost immediate results" you saw had nothing to do with the D50. I'd be willing to bet it had everything to do with where you put it. :D

This has come up before, but there is a member of the City who has a story of a Snicker's bar and a diabetic in a wilderness setting. It can work. I'll just leave it up to you to figure it out.

And if Croaker decides he wants to share it it's on him to do so. ;) (For the record, he is NOT the diabetic in question.)

-be safe

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never heard of the pizza trick before. I kind of like that one. We have a frequent flyer that we have standing orders to give orange Hi-C followed by a glass of Ensure. I'm thinking next time we'll stop by the pizza joint and grab a supreme and have dinner with him. I'm sure he would like it. He's pretty lonely most of the time.

I have also heard of peanut butter and jelly on graham crackers (nursing home thing). Bread costs too much you know.

Thanks for all the good ideas.

In most cases, I'd say it is worth the $10 bucks to order the guy a Domino's and a Pepsi in return for his signature on the no-ride form.

That way I can get back to the station in time for Turd Watch! :D

There is one other route that is gross, but if no venous access you can always go rectal. It causes a big mess, but with an unconscious, unresponsive BS<50, I saw almost immediate results. Just one more option.

Do most services not have Glucagon as a backup?

In most cases, I'd say it is worth the $10 bucks to order the guy a Domino's and a Pepsi in return for his signature on the no-ride form.

That way I can get back to the station in time for Turd Watch! :D

You are assuming that we work in services where we have that kind of money to spare!

"911"

"Yes sir can I get a pizza please?"

"Excuse me?"

"Last time the nice ambulance people bought us a pizza, can I get another?"

If you are giving D50 oral, I would think the pt would not follow commands and that they wouldn't be able to shallow properly. So, you lose there airway cause you have a bit globe of crap in there airway.........you cric them and that fails because you are now covered in dextrose...............you only wish you had given the 1.0 mg glucagon IM. Now u have a date with a lawyer cause of malpractice and causing death....................kiss your licence and the last thing on your mind is rectal D50 :oops:

If you are giving D50 oral, I would think the pt would not follow commands and that they wouldn't be able to shallow properly. So, you lose there airway cause you have a bit globe of crap in there airway.........you cric them and that fails because you are now covered in dextrose...............you only wish you had given the 1.0 mg glucagon IM. Now u have a date with a lawyer cause of malpractice and causing death....................kiss your licence and the last thing on your mind is rectal D50 :oops:

It is quite apparent you did not read the initial situation, or perhaps forgot what it was.

This patient was capable of communicating, was maintaining their own airway, and the question was would oral D50 or oral glucose paste increase the blood glucose level faster.

I don't believe that anyone is suggesting to give anything by mouth to someone that is unable to follow commands.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.