MEDIC TAG

WendyT

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have a medical condition and/or are on medications that may directly influence a significant medical situation wherein you may be unable to inform the proper medical personal about said condition/medication? You should be wearing a medic alert bracelet/have some sort of ID about said condition at all times.

Any EMT or Paramedic worth ANYTHING should be able to adequately manage an emergency situation prior to an MD's intervention, bloods, etc...

But seriously...

How many EMS services carry a laptop or have computers that allow USB drive access such as this? Or hospitals for that matter?

In the end...THE ONUS IS ON THE PATIENT.

Remember, home personal computers were way overpriced when first made available to the public.

I don't think I will be getting one of those medical alerting "thumb drive" type devices soon, as per other's statements, most ambulance services and hospitals near me lack the equipment to utilize them. This does not mean I will rule them out completely, but whoever the comedian was who said, "I'm not buying any new electronic stuff until they stop inventing, and I feel I can catch up," I agree with him.

Debated this issue from another EMS forum, the problem is as discussed no one usually has a USB port, as well even in ER and field EMS most prohibit any insertion or reading from another drive.

In my hospital we have plenty of PC, but again the worry of viruses and hacking, there is a strict policy of placing any non-regulated device into any computer of the hospital.

Far as "if they lost their wallet" scenario, I never check ID in the field for a medic alert, etc.. If they want me to know about their PMHX they better have a bracelet or necklace on. I will open wallets in ER when witnessed and able to place to security and sign etc.. real life, I have yet seen anyone examine for a medic alert info from a wallet or purse.

It would be much easier to invent a web site with their information on it. For example, have the ID attached to the license with an ID number to validate it and only be licensed to an approved EMS and hospital provider. With approval, attachments of recent HX., copies of ECG etc.. could be done....Hmm maybe I should get a patent :wink:

R/r 911

Unfortunately, I have to do a little badmouthing of my colleagues. For the last few times I went for refresher training, while playing victim in the patient physical evaluation classes, nobody seems to be checking for either wristband, necklace, or ankle band medical alert devices. I wear a necklace type (organ donor, cardiac), and nobody ever found it!

Our service uses laptops, but over half the crews don't even take it with them in their trucks when they go on calls. This is just another over-priced device-interesting idea, but not much beyond that. As previously mentioned, if the patient has a significant medical problem that he wants others to know about, he will normally have a medic alert bracelet on or the info in his wallet.

You never said anything about wearing a medic alert, you only said (above). 8)

Wouldn't matter. Even though I NEVER take off my bracelet, not having that information shouldn't change how you treat me.. An unconscious, unknown medical patient w/ no info. It certainly can't hurt to have the info.. But if what is on the tag, is in progress, your training should help you recognize the signs, and put to use the proper treatment.

Agreed with CD. I also wear a medic alert bracelet which I never take off... but I would hope that the medical providers caring for me should I become unconscious or otherwise unable to provide information about my condition would exercise good judgement and assessment skills.

The downside of the USB keytag is that they can become damaged or corrupted. What if you're lying in a puddle of water and the USB drive gets drowned? What if you're in a wreck and it gets crunched along with everything else? That's a moderately expensive mistake... a stainless steel bracelet or dogtag with the basics is the much better option in my opinion.

Now.. this reminds me.. time to update the emergency contact info card in my wallet!

Stay safe out there!

Wendy

CO EMT-B

MI EMT-B

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.