Your opinion on a mandatory 2 year degree (version 2)?

vs-eh?

Should paramedics have a minimum mandatory 2 year degree/diploma?  

54 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

If you did research and kept up with the times, you would know some systems already do chest tubes in the field. One of the systems I worked for in Alaska allowed us to perform them due to long response/transport times and limited resources. So, once again your supportive argument is flawed.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, the service I worked for did use nurses in the ambulances for backup

Wait a second, I think we've worked together before. you came to my service from the big city where you thought you were the best medic out there cause you worked in the inner city. We ran a call with 4 critical patients of those 4 two became trauma codes in front of our eyes. You know the call, the one where the 4 kids drove off the bridge and tipped over into 6 feet of water, and two of them were nearly drowned. You started to scream on the radio, get me all this additional help and when I told you that it was you and me and the next nearest unit was 25 minutes away you freaked, you focused on one patient and left me with the 3 others. I thought you quit after that call. So that wasn't you. I could have sworn it was you based on your crap don't stink attitude.

So you are saying that because you work in Chicago that you are better than all of us?

you need to stop and think

I will ask this of you. since you have seen our titles. Why don't you give us an idea of your experience.

Is chicago the first ems job you've ever held?

how long have you been a medic?

have you ever transported anyone with a longer than 1 hour transport time?

You tout your way is the best so show us why you think it's the best?

How much education is required to be a paramedic?Not a nurse,or doctor.A ambo grunt, i have to laugh at you supermedics who are impressed with your titles! Hey we're talking being a paramedic, next thing i'll here is lets do chest tubes in the field!

It is attitudes like this that will keep EMS in the 1960s. If you want to be considered a professional, then do what it takes to be professional. It has nothing to do with titles, it is all about education. With better education you can provide better and more informed care to your pts. Why are you against providing a higher level of care for your pts? Only when the dinosaurs with attitudes like this leave EMS will it become a profession and not a job.

How much education is required to be a paramedic?

Not enough. That is what we are trying to discuss here. If you don't have anything constructive to add, don't bother posting.

A ambo grunt, i have to laugh at you supermedics who are impressed with your titles!

It's not a matter of being impressed with ourselves so much as being ashamed of some of the posers that want to be considered a paramedic without the first clue of what that really means. Again, you aren't adding anything of value to the course of this discussion.

Hey we're talking being a paramedic, next thing i'll here is lets do chest tubes in the field!

Maybe you can remember a time when the requirements to become a paramedic were a bit more strenuous. Maybe you've decided the best use of the urban medic is BLS and fly. Your narrow view of what works is handicapping the progression of the rest of the industry.

Unlike Ruff, I'm willing to bet that you've settled into your current position quite well. I'd even wager that the experience you've had has never been outside of a major receiving facility's catchment area. Knowing that you've got all the back up you will need within a moments reach makes everyone a better provider.

Your argument about not needing more education is pathetic. It is the same argument that fire chiefs and ambulance system administrators use to prevent our advancement. You've yet to show any semblance of professionalism or education at your current level. I suppose we should not expect someone in your situation to recognize the need for more education.

Hey you rural guys are right, you got long transports!Why not have nursing part of your system criteria?

Awww.. I doubt he is a paramedic. I know of some of Chicago's Paramedics as well as Dr. Shea that was instrumental in their EMS system. He was a pioneer in advanced protocols and advancing paramedic education. This individual attitude is one of those people that failed the entry tests or never 'quite" made it, or if they are a paramedic is one prefers the colored box system. If he is a real Paramedic, they are a prime example of an ambulance driver title .

R/r 911

How much education is required to be a paramedic?Not a nurse,or doctor.A ambo grunt, i have to laugh at you supermedics who are impressed with your titles! Hey we're talking being a paramedic, next thing i'll here is lets do chest tubes in the field!

Go back to school.

On the poll there are 5 that have said no. I guess we can assume chicago is one of them. Let's hear from the other 4 (who hopefully have the ability to carry on a conversation without resorting to insults). Why do you feel that it is not important to have an education to care for patients?

Don't ask a question ,if you can't handle an honest answer!You guys must have thin skin,would you feel better if I jump on your band wagon and lie?Over the years i've seen alot of guys burn out and leave EMS because of there own silly thoughts,if you want more education go get it! Its your choice!When I entered EMS (26 yrs ago)there was no PALS,ACLS,PHTLS.I took them on my own, now they are part of paramedic school.Nurses have always been jealous of the $$$ we make and time off,they run the hospitals which mandate con -ed.You guys sure sound like nurses who are frustrated!

Don't ask a question ,if you can't handle an honest answer!You guys must have thin skin,would you feel better if I jump on your band wagon and lie?Over the years i've seen alot of guys burn out and leave EMS because of there own silly thoughts,if you want more education go get it! Its your choice!When I entered EMS (26 yrs ago)there was no PALS,ACLS,PHTLS.I took them on my own, now they are part of paramedic school.Nurses have always been jealous of the $$$ we make and time off,they run the hospitals which mandate con -ed.You guys sure sound like nurses who are frustrated!

chicagoambo you are a muppet of the first order ...

odd how everyone else on the left side of the pond bemoans the money that Nurses make over and above Ambulance staff, even those who have sold their arses to the dripstands ...

odd how in all the other health jobs education = money and status

odd how most of the rest of civilised world has either Helath Professional in their own right Paramedics (UK, Eire, Canada, Australia... even the Germans ) or Paramedics as Advanced practice Nurses (netherlands, Scandinavian countires)

I am one of the people that do not agree with the mandatory 2 years. I am a firm believer in education. I am an EMS instructor. I do feel the education has improved and that there is still room for more improvement. I have seen some very good shorter certificate programs and I've seen some that are not worth the cost of the piece of paper and ink required to print the certificate. I've also seen the same from college level courses, some great some a great waste of time.

Compare textbooks of today with the textbooks of 10-15 years ago, many EMT Basic textbooks are now bigger than the EMT Paramedic textbooks of yesteryear. Now some courses have progressed to use this greater wealth of information, others sadly still teach the same material from 10 years ago. Many train you to take the test they do not educate you and that includes college and certificate course. So choose your program wisely and don't fall for the longer the course the better. If you can take the time and can get a degree great, in the future it may open more doors for you. But if you live in an area that does not have college level courses but does have an organization with a good reputation offering you Paramedic education go for it. Regardless of which way you go you must continue to get education for the life of your career.

My point is quality of education far out weighs quantity!!!!

If you want recognition for having more education come to Texas and get a degree then you can work as a Licensed Paramedic instead of "just" being a Paramedic, you'll work under the same protocols but you'll have more letters by your name.

Texas has the following certifications: ECA, EMT-B, EMT-I, EMT-P, EMT-LP