Your opinion on a mandatory 2 year degree (version 2)?

vs-eh?

Should paramedics have a minimum mandatory 2 year degree/diploma?  

54 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DwayneEMTB, you pose an interesting question. First, nurses were able to recognize problems and band together in powerful and unified groups. These groups put aside petty differences and worked together toward collective goals that helped nursing as a profession. (note the emphasis on group work and not I, me, myself, or the many versions of the "to be verb.") At this point allot of people in EMS refuse to agree on what color of cool guy bag to put in the ambulance let alone uniting and pushing ideals that may actually help EMS transition into a profession. I may anger some people; however, this is the truth. We must unite and agree on what coarse to take before we can even consider planning or implementing our thoughts.

Next, nursing realized that the road would be long, rough, and have many turns. Modern Nursing has been several decades in the making and dedicated people have been at the forefront to see it through. In EMS we must dedicate our selves to improvement and realize the process will be a long, hard, and ever changing work in progress.

In addition, Nursing has traditionally (over the last few decades) embraced higher education and research to further solidify the providers as professionals. I know that even AAS students are strongly encouraged to seek higher education. Nursing realizes that medicine is a massive animal and no one program of instruction will produce a competent provider. Rather, I see a basic program of instruction that provides a solid foundation to build upon. (Nursing School)

Next, nursing school emphasizes the professional aspects of nursing and includes in depth courses on nursing history, professional development, critical thinking, and emphasizes the fact that medicine is multidisciplinary and emphasizes the nurses critical role in this system.

Finally, nursing education does not focus on "shake and bake" medicine. Nursing focuses on a holistic care concept. You are taught that the human is a whole and complex being, and treating a person is complex and involves multiple individualized interventions. There is less emphasis on performing skills and more emphasis on understanding the person's physiological and psychological response to illness. The assumption is that many of the invasive skills are specific to specialty areas of nursing and can be learned upon gaining experience and further education in those areas. Core skills such as IV therapy, med admin, foley, NG intubation, wound care, etc are taught; however, the emphasis is still on the person.

This is my take on how nursing managed to gain acceptance as a profession. I think EMS is at a critical junction and can choose to take the path of a profession, or choose the path of a skilled monkey.

Unfortunately, I see some negative changes in many of the nursing programs. I see a lack of discipline and basic professional abilities in newly minted nurses. I also see a lack of basic competence in new grads.

Take care,

chbare.

We continue to denigrate kids for not meeting a standard that almost none of the people training them have met, almost none of the people they respect (see at work, or those that got them interested in EMS) have met, no one will compensate them for meeting, and having met them (from what I've seen here) will not even distinguish them in the work place later.

Bing-freakin-o!

I have never claimed to be knowledgable about EMS but I will say this as a Nursing Student.. do you all think a nurse could have less then 2 years and be licensed? I voted yes but would like to say, a minimum two years is scarey, everyone in any profession should want more education, things change in the health care system and everyone should stay up do date with anything that could make them a better health care provider.

be safe

K

the piece of paper doesn't make the professional. we need to quite acting like ambulance drivers and act professional including training our patients. if i was required to attend a 2 year college i would be unable to attend. no college in the area and i have to support my family. i am currently working on advancing to next level. if ever this happens the rural areas will suffer because people that leave for training will stay gone because they can receive better pay in citys.

ohthehumanity.jpg

Oh jeez, did anyone else notice this??

the piece of paper doesn't make the professional. we need to quite acting like ambulance drivers and act professional including training our patients.

How does one do this? And is it anything like training a beagle? :shock:

^

I'll give him benefit of the doubt and say he meant patient education. Unfortunately that's a slight problem where you're only slightly more educated than the patient to begin with.