Well, well, well. Rules

runsoversquirrels

It's been my understanding within the past few years, since all of this "National Scope of Practice" talk fell upon us, that EMT would be removed from paramedic. You would be an EMT or a Paramedic. I've said it before, and I'll say it again (at the risk of hurting all the EMT's out there) EMT-Basics are technicians, they perform skills. They may or may not know why they are performing the skill or even the outcome of a skill, but they are there to perform the skill. Paramedics are clinicians. They treat a patient based on assessment and and an advanced educational foundation (we hope).

Now, before the basics get their star of life panties in a bind, I was a basic for quite some time. I knew what my job was and how to do it efficiently. I knew on 90% of our patients that I was going to put oxygen on (I could even get the liter flow and device correct most of the time), run a 12-lead, spike an IV bag, get a set of V/S manually, and put the BP monitor on. I knew when the patient would require EtCO2 monitoring. I could most of the time, pull out the appropriate drugs for the paramedic to draw up. I couldn't read a 12-lead, and outside of being able to associate a drug with a symptom, I couldn't tell you why the paramedic might want a drug.

As a paramedic, I understand the end result of the treatments I perform. I can read the 12-lead and I know exactly why I would or would not use a drug on a patient. The skills I preformed as a basic were invaluable to good patient care and the flow of a call. An EMT doesn't "save" me, they make my job easier by doing the skills they were taught to do. You have to know your role, and that goes for both EMT and paramedic.

If EMT's save paramedics, then paramedics save doctors! That's just silly.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How does every topic end up as EMT vs. Paramedic? We are never going to be recognized as a profession if we can't stop the bickering from within our own ranks. Whew... with that said...I'd have to agree with James and say that the meaning of the "phrase" is all in how you read it. I read it as BLS before ALS.. and always have. I have NEVER used the phrase, and detest when it IS used as I see it as a cop-out or excuse of sorts. However, the fundamental truth is that with most patients we do base our care on BLS skills.

oh, and yes.. I am an EMT, but I have no light bar or bat belt... so, calling me a tosser is like saying that all Paramedics are arrogant.

My 2 cents.... Continue the battle

Jo

Yeah, I can't tell you how many times I've lost a patient while I thrust my BVM to the sky and shouted "IF ONLY I HAD AN EMT HERE!!! IF ONLY I COULD REMEMBER MY BLS TRAINING!!! OH WOE IS ME, I CURSE THE DAY I EVER FURTHERED MY EDUCATION!!!", and then it starts raining and lightning bolts start coming down from the sky and stuff. It's all very dramatic. This goddamned phrase has been so overused that I am at the point of considering small scale airstrikes to put an end to it. Yeah, I'm sure sometime it was cute when you found the paramedic's keys that he had dropped in the fracas and saved the day and got a pat on the back and had a good laugh about it, but just like your niece breaking wind at Thanksgiving dinner, the first time is cute but it gets old really, really quickly. Oz, I love the term 'tosser'. I'm procuring it for my own purposes.

This is the funny stuff section and Asys has not let me down- i almost hate reading your posts whilst drinking anything... my new comp screen almost bit it this morning...thanks. :wink: :D

How does every topic end up as EMT vs. Paramedic? We are never going to be recognized as a profession if we can't stop the bickering from within our own ranks. Whew... with that said...I'd have to agree with James and say that the meaning of the "phrase" is all in how you read it. I read it as BLS before ALS.. and always have.

oh, and yes.. I am an EMT, but I have no light bar or bat belt... so, calling me a tosser is like saying that all Paramedics are arrogant.

Jo

Only tossers say BLS before ALS. :)/

And from what I'm understand, every single goddamned EMT from Augusta to Sacramento thinks they are being horribly wry, witty, and clever in pointing that out. You people.

Well, Asysin-don't know if I'm one of the EMTs that post was aimed at or not-but if it was-my response is this-I didn't get into EMS to try and compete with paramedics-I know the difference between a paramedic and an EMT-Basic. I have no aspirations of becoming a paramedic-I'm happy doing just what I'm doing now. It's what I focus on being my absolute best at. Therefore I do not feel the need to be witty, wry or clever when discussing EMS issues. I have had my share of experiences with paramedics and nurses looking down there noses at me when "dealing" with me-I don't care-that's their problem-not mine. I respect them for their advanced level of training and responsibilites. As for me, I love being an EMT-Basic and a firefighter. I'm right where I'm supposed to be. If I'm not one of those EMTs from Augusta to Sacramento, no harm, no foul-this was the first time since being a member here that I've shared this about myself and is not intended to be confrontational or sarcastic. I've read a lot of what you have posted on this site-and in the chatroom. You definitely have a lot more experience in this field and I respect that as well. Take care and stay safe.

Wowz! Yuz soz coolz!

If i searched hard enough, i bet i could find every one of those stupid cliche's here on the city at least twice..

Rule 41: Posting lists of cliche'd phrases on EMS forums makes you look like a tosser :roll:

Hey bushy-could you define the term "tosser" for me? I'm relatively new to EMS. I'd appreciate it. Thanks :wink:

Not here in Ontario ... :)

Hey Lithium-I didn't know that. I'm not familiar with the differences between EMS in the U.S. and other countries. That's interesting. I'm relatively new to EMS-I'm still learning! :wink: I have a friend up in your area that's in EMS. He's a member here also. Well, take care and stay safe.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.