Which one do you use... Difib Paddles or the Pads

tunnelrat83

Which one.. Paddles or Pads  

111 members have voted

1. 1.

• Paddles
    • Pads

I like the paddles, but I refuse to use them on very obese people. They get the pads only. I'm not going to chance getting lit up leaning over someone unless they are of average build. Admittedly, pads do work better in a code situation than paddles. Also, if you have to cardiovert someone who is unstable but still conscious, I sure wouldnt be caught without pads.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 years later...

We have life pak 12's and use the pads. Personally I like the pads. I don't always get someone in the back with me when I transport an arrest so I kinda need my hands free as much as possible. I will say however it's damn fun to use the paddles. It makes me feel like a real medic. :D

I have to say that if I ever get the chance to use paddles I hope that it's with the gel not with those moistened pads that way I can rub the paddles together, yell clear holding them up in the air and then slam them down on the patient's chest and make them jump like I we see on TV all the time :D

It's one of my professional goals to get to do that at least once in my career.

We use Lifepack12 w/ fast patch combos.......but we also have the paddles in one of the cabinets of all the ambulances just in case. I've never used the paddles though so it would be rather interesting if I had to resort to them considering I've never been shown how to use them! :-k

I could just pray I don't have to ever use 'em [-o< .......oooor......I suppose I could ask someone in the education dept exactly how it's done (although I'm sure it's probably rather straight forward).

Maybe they should also include that info in the academy because I'm sure i'm probably not the only one that doesn't know how to use them!

Actually your FTO was supposed to take care of that. However, given that education is adding more to he FTOs workload it is not surprising that is overlooked. That and the 4 sets of pads on the truck (2 in the bins, 2 in the LP) you shouldn't even need the paddles. They are there because the state requires them.

Also, don't forget the LP12 can be used as a AED. Nice to know when you are working alone in the booth of the State fair and someone collapses a few booths over.

As for the thread, I prefer pads. I feel that they are safer. I watch a guy in the Navy stick the paddles to his rear and charged to 100j. Didn't sit for a week. Lesson learned was never leave a boed 19 year old with defib at 0200.

Althougth there is something to be said for shock at 400j and give 2 amps of bicarb!

R

Actually your FTO was supposed to take care of that. However, given that education is adding more to he FTOs workload it is not surprising that is overlooked. That and the 4 sets of pads on the truck (2 in the bins, 2 in the LP) you shouldn't even need the paddles. They are there because the state requires them.

Also, don't forget the LP12 can be used as a AED. Nice to know when you are working alone in the booth of the State fair and someone collapses a few booths over.

As for the thread, I prefer pads. I feel that they are safer. I watch a guy in the Navy stick the paddles to his rear and charged to 100j. Didn't sit for a week. Lesson learned was never leave a boed 19 year old with defib at 0200.

Althougth there is something to be said for shock at 400j and give 2 amps of bicarb!

R

are you nominating that navy guy for a near darwin award?

paddles look cool.... pads are safer I'll use pads

Ok I will bite here:

Can anyone really PROVE that pads are safer is there a study out ... maybe by a company that manufactures these "rather expensive devices" ??

Anecdotally, I have never seen an error with Paddles, (I have been at a few arrests too )

One is directly over the patient and has a great view of procedings very easily, to observe if anyone has any contact with the patient, and a FLAG is raised in my little beany when the paddles come out of their cradles, a physical sign of impending electrity! The pads are far more inert looking, more akin to opening an MRE...(in itself that can be terrifing j/k)

I have witnessed 3 occassions where someone has hit the floor with pads.

1- A Student RT of mine was holding on to BVM when a goof stated "clear" but was looking at the monitor button. (in Hospital ER crash cart mounted) student wilted like a head of lettuce.

2- A "past" supervisor in car, (no center mount cot) slipped on vomit on the floor, inadvertantly while reaching over and hit the "weld button" and made contact in more ways than one .... this would not have been physically possible with paddles. (no longer a super btw)

3- A darwin deal when one finger on the flash button, one on the bed frame.... so guess what ... yup a cocky ER Resident.

ps all survived with minor motor funtions disability (for a day) yet tremours next time the pads were charged ... does that qualify as PTSD ? aka PDefibSD ?

I take mild offence with the introduced concept that paddles are somehow a wanker/ ego deal, sorry really don't understand that concept at all.

Sure may look like a wanker if someone "forgot" to include a spare set in the kit, O that NEVER happens in a busy service does it ? AND this single use device can be very difficult to restock where one is in the boonies or back order has not been filled, so what does one do put the truck out of service because some stocks guy fergot ?

Just speaking for myself:

GIVE ME PADDLES OR GIVE ME DEATH .... because that is just what it may boil down to!

I like a solid proven back up for the what ifs ... but then I am crusty and old as dust.

cheers

R

Agreed, my FTO should have showed me.......I didn't even think about it while doing my FTO rides and apparently neither did he. But I'd say that would probably be my only real complaint (not that it's actually a complaint persay) about him......I think he did a great job as my FTO!

And I know the chance of actually having to whip out the paddles is slim to none but I'd still like to know how to use them.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.