Which one do you use... Difib Paddles or the Pads

tunnelrat83

Which one.. Paddles or Pads  

111 members have voted

1. 1.

• Paddles
    • Pads

Ah, Philips HeartStart AEDs! Very good choice. In fact, the BEST choice, as far as I am concerned! :lol:

They have two separate adapters. One fits all Lifepaks. The other fits all Zolls. Each is $30 bucks retail, which is cheaper than a set of pads.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok i know im gonna get called a whacker, but i prefer paddles. for the quick look option and get the shocks in fast. The service in Auckland found they were wasting soo much money with the combo pads that they are looking at bringing the paddles back. they are at the moment making it policy to put electrodes (ECG) on before pads to determine v-fib etc.

Alot of the ones shocking themselves do it to themselves being idiots or slack. So not everyone is gonna be dumb (well one hopes) and shock themselves.

And come on, admit guys and gals, there is something that just looks soo damn cool holding a set of paddles onto a patient and discharging them,

*waits for the whacker whacks*

Scottymedic

The one, the only, ZAP EM ZAP EM

I can't disagree with anything you said, Scotty. For an industry who is constantly complaining about costs, they sure seem to be awful eager to spend a buttload of new money on pads now.

Losing the "quick look" capability is the first thing that concerned me. I'm sure I'll get used to it, as it's not really a huge deal to me. But still, time is muscle, and it takes about a minute longer to shock with pads than it does with paddles.

After that first look/shock, I'd rather have the pads because it will save both time and effort on subsequent shocks.

Of course, I do like that losing the paddles has made the defibrillators lighter and more compact. That is a big plus for the medic in the field.

Only personal experience, without actually watching the second hand while in the process.

You have to open up pads. You don't have to open up paddles.

You have to un-peel pads. You don't have to un-peel paddles.

You have to plug in pads. You don't have to plug in paddles.

You have to worry about pads sticking. Not so with paddles.

Simple math dictates it will take longer to shock with pads than with paddles. What that actual time difference is, I don't know. That would be the reason I wrote "about a minute" instead of "exactly a minute.

even if the pads are preconnected, the process of open, peel, slip, analyse etc, it will take longer than just slapping a bit of goo on the paddles and grabbing a quick look.

And even when the pads are on, there is no garuntee that they will be in vfib, so there is a set of pads down the gurglur without a shock getting planted.

The lifepak 5's were a feather compared to the lifepak 4's and lifepak 33's hehe. I know a few medics who used them and we laugh talking about them.

Paddler to max muwahahahaha

Scottymedic

The one, the only, you know it baby :)

The two services that I work at require you to confirm flat line in defib view as well as Leads I-III since we only have three leads. One of them requires you to print strips in Leads I-III for all transports that a monitor is used, with print outs every 15 to 30 minutes depending on how long the transport to the ER is, with a min. of two sets of strips for any transport under 10 minutes.

• 2 months later...
The two services that I work at require you to confirm flat line in defib view as well as Leads I-III since we only have three leads. One of them requires you to print strips in Leads I-III for all transports that a monitor is used, with print outs every 15 to 30 minutes depending on how long the transport to the ER is, with a min. of two sets of strips for any transport under 10 minutes.

Im confused, so you have to print a strip every 15 - 30 mins to doubly confirm asystole? or is this in a reverted arrest during transport phase?

*plus is trying to figure where this is in the paddle versus pads debate lol, its late at night gimme credit here rofl*

Scottymedic

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.