Which one do you use... Difib Paddles or the Pads

tunnelrat83

Which one.. Paddles or Pads  

111 members have voted

1. 1.

• Paddles
    • Pads

I don't see it as a ego and/or wanker issue, more of personal preference. Like gloves, or cars etc etc.

As for the safety issue, I had a partner that after 6 months working together still managed to dump me 4 times in the back in one week. (And no I could not talk to her about it, nor change, due to other issues). I just don't like bouncing in the back with loaded paddles. It is nice that Almost all the fire guys either use the LP12 (ALS) or have compatible pads in their AED (BLS); furthermore, we have 6 hospitals and all but one have compatible pads.

PS the navy jerk was not a darwin, but grand champion of the Moronic Secret Society. He is the only guy i have ever known that needed to crossdeck from ship to shore for an extended stay to remove a particularly robust strain of an STD acquired from an adult fun street vendor.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed, my FTO should have showed me.......I didn't even think about it while doing my FTO rides and apparently neither did he. But I'd say that would probably be my only real complaint (not that it's actually a complaint persay) about him......I think he did a great job as my FTO!

And I know the chance of actually having to whip out the paddles is slim to none but I'd still like to know how to use them.

Yes, your FTO is one of the better ones, prolly an oversight. There is just so much to show/teach/eval with little time to do it in. Track me down and I can show you, or some of the older EMTs or Paras can.

Agreed, my FTO should have showed me ....... I think he did a great job as my FTO!

And I know the chance of actually having to whip out the paddles is slim to none but I'd still like to know how to use them.

Sure hope that my name aint SLIM, thing is your FTO did not do his job thoughoutly because if it state legislated to carry them then one should be endorsed to use them correctly .

That said to solve this terrible gap in your education I will personally volunteer to give you an in-service, unfortunatly you must travel great distances by snowmobile and snowshoes and learn Neufanese or Kanukistanese before the lecture, tee hee hee.

cheers

I personally like the paddles. You cant really get you 25 pounds of paddle pressure that ACLS recommend with the pads. However I have seen a cardiologist on multiple occasions fold a towel and press down on the pads. It was kinda ridiculous to me but then again he is the man. The Zoll is what we use. Charles

You don't need 25 lbs of pressure with the pads, the 25 lbs of pressure is to ensure you have good, solid contact between paddles and patient, so nothing comes off... try to take a quick-combo pad off a patient--it isn't going to fall off, lol.

I would definitely prefer the pads. No doubt. It may be somewhat anticlimactic, but it's safer for me and my partner, and you can defibrillate safely while moving. That's pertty nifty. Plus, you can use the Quick-Combo pads for all kinds of Edison Medicine, so once you set it up once, you're good to go. No gel to rub, no 25 lbs of pressure, no worries.

Paddles? What are paddles? I haven't used them since the early 90's. Yes, pads are safer. Do a Google on it. most of them were performed in the late 80's, describing other advantages as well. I have seen pads arc, gel causing rescuer sliding across chest, poor contact again causes arcing, even seen flames on a few.

Paddles are a great back up tool.

R/r 911

I don't know if I'd be labeled as old school or not, but I'd have to go with paddles since I hadn't used pads very often. If I had a choice, which since I'm out of the active field now, I just don't know. :-k

I have seen pads arc, gel causing rescuer sliding across chest, poor contact again causes arcing, even seen flames on a few.

As have I. Paddles arc and, when the uber-excited medic forgets the gel or saline pads...EWWW, that smell :shock:

The pads are quick, easy, and..well..quick and easy. I like that you can pace with them too..You need to make sure of good contact and lots of chest hair makes for a fun show sometimes..

I don't like the paddles anymore, although a lot of EDs still use them with the lifepacks and HPs and such..

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.