EMS Tattoos

Just Plain Ruff

I agree to a point. but tasteful tatts are to me ok.

But I seriously don't think that a heart with a name through it is out of line.

But the biker tats that I've seen, well if you have one and it's visible, well, there's probably not a job in EMS that you are gonna get over a more qualified applicant with no tatts.

One mans tasteful tattoo is another mans obscenity. Who decides? How can you decide?

Keep them hidden, and ink up all you want. If you dont want to wear a long sleeve shirt to cover your sleeves..then dont get sleeves. Period.

Dutifully chastised Croaker. True, what I find tasteless another man or woman may find completely fine and dandy. And I have no idea who makes the decision what is obscenity. I have my marker, and you have yours. But I am damned sure that I don't want 435 people in congress and another 100 who are sitting in the senate and the other 9 who wear the robes and the final 1 who is the president defining for me what is obscene but I think that's who will define it.

But then again, someone has to define it and for my family, that's person is me and my wife but we won't get into that discussion.

Keep em hidden when working. Show em off when not.

I have no problems with tats, it's your body. However, when you are on the job you want to give off that professional appearance. As for EMS/FF specific tats, most that I have seen are these huge, monstrous stars of life or malteese crosses that just look like they are shouting, "LOOOOOOOOOK AT MEEEEEEEEE!!!!! I AM AN EMT/FF AND YOU SHOULD ACKNOWLDGE THAT AND WORSHIP ME!!!!!!!!" I realize that I have a very large selection bias coming from volley world on Lawnguyland.

I don`t have anything against tats. For years, I`ve been pondering about getting one myself, but it just never seems the right time (and now the summers coming, it`s out of bounds again, as for the swimming ;) ). Friend of mine is a pretty good tattoo artist and most of my friends are "inked" in some way.

At work, we have a few with visible tattoos, never heard anyone say anything against it. Never saw an EMS tat, though, wouldn`t be too freaked about one getting myself.

Not sure about an EMS tat. I love body art, have 4 myself and will probably get more BUT, none of mine are visible when I'm clothed. Upper arms, shoulders, back, chest, those are the only places I, personally, will get inked. I don't have a problem with people who go for full sleeves or whatever, it's their body, that sort of thing isn't for me though. I think face and neck tats look a bit ridiculous but again, not my body, do what ya want. I wouldn't get an ems tattoo unless I found a design I really love. Even then It would be a back tattoo most likely and none of my patients would ever see it. We have a few medics and basics with sleeves and our company has no policy against it.

To summarize: I most likely won't get an ems tat but if you want to; knock yourself out.

I find EMS and FD tats kinda whackerish. A "racin the reaper" tat complete with a speeding ambulance with the grim reaper himself in pursuit is wackerish. I put them in the same catagory as some of the freakin' t-shirts I see. Usually they are being worn by lower level providers and the younger crowds. Just an observation, I have no science to back it up Dwayne! I personally don't have any tattoos, but am not against them. As others have stated, what a person wants to do with their body is their business. I do think full sleeves are ugly but again, that is just my opinion and opinions are just like assholes, everybody has one. As long as your body art is not visible to patients, I'm ok with it. It is a perception, right or wrong, that patients have about their provider. Body art just associates you (generic you) with bikers and gangs. I know a great many people who ride and they are the best people. However, I have noticed in a social setting that ppl tend to stare or avoid them. Wierd, but it happens. A first impression is everything. Body art has become marketably more socially acceptable in recent years and again, I have no problem with tattoos. I just think visible ink doesn't have a place in the medical profession.

Edited by JakeEMTP