EMS Tattoos

Just Plain Ruff

Ok, was on Facebook and saw a thread from a different forum and it had to do with EMS tattoos. I cannot find the actual threads but it showed a staff of life with a ECG tracing. It wasn't that well done but it got the message across.

Most of the people were commenting that it was EPIC, and awesome and all that other rah rah rah that you would expect but there was some others who were saying that it was not so cool and really kind of stupid.

I don't really care either way but I don't really care for tattoos on my body but other people can do what they want with their bodies.

What is the CIties response to EMS Tat's in general?

Like em or hate em? Do you think they portray your support of EMS or do they make you look like a Whacker?

I'm curious as to what some of you all think.

Tats are a way of showing individuality:::

Unfortunately now a days EVERYONE has them.

Had a mid 50's female pt not too long ago that had a tat on her upper chest , What was probably a cute little butterfly 30 years ago when applied.

NOW it's a hideous looking teradyactyl which with the force of gravity is now a 38 long if you get my drift.

Remember that you will have to explain them to your children and grandkids someday.

I'm OK with tats. If your profession allows visibles, and that's your style, go for it. Tattoos mean something different to the younger generation than they did to past generations. They are a way to signal your status, interests, etc... they're dead useful info on an unresponsive patient (lots of jail tattoos? Uh huh...)

I'm planning to get a tattoo this summer. An otter, on my right ribcage. Otters symbolize female/maternal strength, they play as adults just like dogs do, and I can add baby otters around the main one once I have my babies.

Know that a tattoo is different than another fashion accessory, such as a purse, style of dress, etc... very expensive and painful to change once chosen, so be very sure it's what you want before you get it... (I've considered the otter for about 4 years now!)

Wendy

CO EMT-B

OK, I am very pro TAT... for a variety of reasons. BUT I am opposed to TATS visible in uniform.

Now this was discussed heavily in a previous thread... link to said thread here: http://www.emtcity.c...os-miami-metro/

This is a qoute from that discussion, and my opinion hasnt changed.

This is my personal philosophy....keeep in mind I LOVE body art, and have some (non-visible) myself. But I realized that this is not at all about freedom of expression. It is only part about getting accepted as a professional.

It is about medicine. Follow along with me here....

A key point of medicine is patient interaction. It is essential that we are able to subjectively assess our patients. If our patients fear or distrusts us...right or wrong....it interfears with our medical assessment and treatment. And anything that erects as a barrier to our medical care must be mitigated.

Simple , huh?

Our appearance is a TOOL to do our job, just like our hygiene, and the cleanliness of our ambulance, and our demeanor when we interact with patients. Just like our monitors, our drugs, and our knowledge base.

Cover up the tattoos, you present a better appearance. Dont like it?

Go be a garbage man, a carpenter, or a bus driver, or some other profession where public trust and public image isnt an issue, or chose a profession is so arrogant that they think it doesnt matter ( can think of a few....). Because trust me... with what we do... it does matter.

Steve.

Edited by croaker260
  • Like 1

Don't get me wrong, I am neither pro nor against tattoos but I think having visible tattoos that patient's see is unprofessional. Tattoos have a generally negative impression and that impression translates negatively over to those who have tattoos. That's unfortunately the impression that many people have of those with tattoos.

And Wendy is right, remember that what you put on your body is there forever unless you spend oodles of cash to get rid of it in the future and even then it's still actually there, the removal techniques don't get the entire tatt.

So if you want a tat, then by all means get one, I'm good with it, but make sure that you get it where it's not visible if you work in EMS, impressions count.

I've worked at services that allow tat's to show and others that say you cannot work there if they show even a little bit and if you work for the second service and you get a tattoo and it shows and you can't cover it completely, then you are out, gone, finished, you don't even get to give a 2 week notice, they fire you.

I actually think that tasteful tattoos on a woman are really sexy.

Most of the EMS tattoos that I have seen are rather...whackerish IMHO. Not that I have any real aversion to consenting adults doing whatever they wish to themselves assuming the activity is legal or relatively legal. I actually had a caduceus tattooed on one of my arms after graduating from Army combat medic school when I was eighteen.

Looking back, it was a rather impulsive, macismo and whackerish thing to do. At least I had the sense to put it in a place that was generally out of sight.

I have to echo the thoughts of several other people in saying that while I'm all for people getting tats if they want them, I also think that for better or worse, right or wrong, tattoos do not present the image that our patients seem to want. I'm not sure if we have a policy regarding tattoos or not at my service, but I know there are several people who do have multiple tattoos who don't do much to cover them. I don't have any, though I've often thought about getting one.

As for EMS specific tats... I don't know, they seem kind of whackerish. To each their own, but I'm not sure if I would get one myself.

We have no policies about tattoos. And, I tend to believe, that most patients don't care, since they have other problems at the moment. As for the non-critical interfacility/non-emergency transport: especially older folks are more tolerant than some of us think.

I personally don't want a tattoo on me and I don't really understand why others want to be tattoed - but I don't care. OK, for myself it may have to do a lot with beeing on the wrong side of a needle and I had some good laughs about a tattoo of a little cute bear on a male friend (no idea what he thought of it, it surely wasn't machoism). But generally I really don't care. A fellow EMT is part-time tattoo professional and wears them herself nearly all over, at least arms and neck visible (never checked more below...), most fantasy style and ornaments. Looks strange, but you can read a lot if getting closer - good for long shifts, I suppose. :)

However, an EMS tattoo (or FD or LEO signs) on a provider/firefighter/officer I would rather see as whackerism than as dedication Depends a bit how it's made and how visible it is.

On the other hand: what's it worth, when not visible? See, I simply don't understand the concept of tattoos...

Just my 0.2 EUR.

EDIT: typo & remark on readability of tattoos.

Edited by Bernhard

The gentlemans code clearly states that unless you served in the armed forces or have been to prison - no tattoos.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Served in the armed forces many years, I just don't have the guts to have needles poking me with inks. Plus I am afraid of what it would look like 20- 30 years down the road.