Hey Baby, You Look Sexy In That C-Collar

Maybe its just the fact that I never needed a patch on my arm to get a date, but tracking down a patient using their information and then asking them out on a date is just plain wrong and creepy. Yes it is. It also suggests a psychological profile of someone who uses a position of trust or authority to achieve sexual goals. Which isn't cool.

What flaming said dwayne that's what I believe. And my links showed how healthcare workers got in trouble doing less than this in some cases and refuted those that said it was not a violation unless it was electronically transmitted. Sorry I should have explained but was in a hurry.

I don't think it matters how u use it, it is the way it is obtained...

Yeah, I officially give up on you now. It's frustrating that I wasted so much time trying to show you the respect of giving you a thought out response to your posts when you can't be bothered to make the tiniest offort.

Sorry babe, for me at least it's back to the troll roster. I refuse to believe that you're not smarter than this.

Actually I know a couple of medics who did that. They made copies of their reports after each shift. they said that if they ever got subpoena'd that they would have the original report to review compared to a possibly redacted report given by the lawyer.

Yeah, I'm calling bullshit on the subpeona argument. If they ever get called they will be presented with every document ever created concerning the patient. These are the wankers that want to be able to show their future employers how many intubations they had, how many SOBs, etc. Didn't someone here post about a guy that gave a potential employer a book with each of his PCRs in chronological order?

If he ever left a single report in an unsecured place where it could be viewed by another then he broke the law. In fact, I don't have time to look it up now, but I'm positive that HIPAA makes it pretty clear what locations those documents can be stored in.

I just remembered a "small" detail. If I have a patient that is something of a "frequent flyer", or previously seen at the particular hospital, but was unable to get pertinant information for my call report, I have asked the ER registrars to give me that information, but beyond writing it on the call report, well, that is as far as it goes. I turn the call reports in to a locked box for the supervisor to review later on, with each of the 3 daily tours having their own boxes.

I have heard of some EMTs and Paramedics making copies of call reports, but to the best of my knowledge, those who do keep those copies under lock and key for if or when they get called into court. The lawyers usually have full, unredacted copies of the call reports, anyway, before the Ambulance folks get called in.

Personal note: I've been called in to court twice, one, to give verbal report of a shooting victim I handled, but the shot person withdrew her complaint against her husband the shooter prior to me arriving at the district attorney's office. Wasted trip, but I got paid overtime for making the trip, at least.

The second time was to verify before which address a patient had fallen on ice, as the call came in as the corner. Never testified, as they settled out of court, but again, paid the 4 hours O/T for the trip.

In my experience, if called into court you can be assured that a copy of the report will have been picked up from the hospital as well as from your service. If there is a discrepecy it will show up between them and you and your service will have some explaining to do. Taking copies home is against policy in every agency I have ever had dealings with. Plus if you take the records home if a lawyer wants to be a jerk they could request your home be searched to ensure you are not hiding more evidence and depending on the case they just might find a judge to grant that. I keep no records or notes, nor would I want the responsibilty to prove I maintain records in a secure area that complies with all regulations.

• Like 1

My job as an Emergency Services provider is to take care of any life threatening injuries,assess,package and to transport to definitive care. After care has been transfered and we are cleared,that's it. If a phone number is obtainable,it's documented in the PCR. I'm not even sure who does follow-up care with patients after discharge and frankly it's not my concern. Professionalism people,someone needs the book throw at them.

For refrence: http://servicealberta.ca/pipa/

and http://www.servicealberta.ca/foip/

Be safe out there

A follow-up phone call is completely appropriate and professional when it is done for educational or patient relations purposes. It is not appropriate when done for a booty call.

I was curious so I had to call a friend of mine and ask. The patient is told to follow-up with there GP by the Doc who they are under the care of. I'm sure it would be perfectly OK to check on the patient after discharge,but also a tad sketchy lol. The PD are generally the ones who are called out for general well being and welfare checks,not EMS. Boundaries, I know them. Cheers Doc

A follow-up phone call is completely appropriate and professional when it is done for educational or patient relations purposes. It is not appropriate when done for a booty call.

All medical personnel, and especially emergency and pre-hospital services have an important role in the community. A patient relations follow up not only is appropriate but beneficial.

All medical personnel, and especially emergency and pre-hospital services have an important role in the community. A patient relations follow up not only is appropriate but beneficial.

I agree, but as basejump said, it can appear sketchy.

In our legal environment I don't believe that I would follow up on a patient that anyone could in any way imply that I might be attracted to. I think that it would be kind, and prudent, but also call into question your possible motivations for doing so.

Think MJ. I was good friends with Micheal Jackson's head of security for many years, so for me, there is not the tiniest doubt that he did nothing but good for many, many kids and evil to none. But, even his billions couldn't save him from the implication of misconduct.

Unfortunately as most often happens HLPP has dropped out of the conversation the minute actual logical debate is demanded.

It's been a great thread I think...

Dwayne

I went to visit two different Pt's today.One was a 91 yo wit a minor injury that I stopped by to see if his daughter [ caregiver] had any questions or needed anything like a walker. & the second was a 64 yo that was transported with suspected large MI. His wife asked me to stop in & check on him after 4 way CABG . This is a normal & regular part of small town rural EMS.

• Like 1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.