Hey Baby, You Look Sexy In That C-Collar

Ok, so let's go one step further on the meter

what happens if they are dating casually, and the medic responds to her medical emergency. Can he no longer date her?

I also call this sleazy but I've been tempted to get to know a former patient or two but that was way before I was married.

I always felt it was not the right thing to do so I never acted on it.

what happens if they are dating casually, and the medic responds to her medical emergency. Can he no longer date her?

I also call this sleazy but I've been tempted to get to know a former patient or two but that was way before I was married.

Exactly, I mean you wouldn`t divorce your wife only because you attended after she had an accident (awful scenario, but still).

@flaming: What do you mean with HLPP? Looked that up, but couldn`t find any abbreviation that would fit into the context.

Edited by Vorenus

First...Ethically he should not have gotten her phone number from her ED record. It is a HIPAA violation. Second...his moral compass is a little askew.

Mor-al. Noun. A lesson, ESP. One concerning what is right or prudent, that can be derived from a story, a piece of information, or an experience

Adjective. Concerned with the principles of right and wrong and the goodness or badness of human character.

Ethics..noun. 1. Moral principles that govern a persons or groups behavior.

2. The moral correctness of specified conduct

Ruff, I think if they were already dating at the time of the emergency then I don't think it's wrong, as they already know each other, casually or otherwise.

Honestly? If the medic that treated me called me on the phone or came knocking on my door, I would be creeped out and probably looking over my shoulder.

Vorenus....HLPP is the op of this thread

No. They can still date. But he needs to step aside and let his partner handle the call. At this point the provider's ability to remain objective with regards to providing care is called into question because of the emotional involvement between patient and provider.

I always felt it was not the right thing to do so I never acted on it.

I'm not so naive to think that this has never happened before. That doesn't make it right. Especially in the case presented in the OP.

And no. I've never been tempted.

Flaming, the reason why it's sleazy or creepy is that of all the people in the world out there the medic in question chose to try to date a patient that he took care of.

It's one thing to go and buy the medic a drink like you have had done, it's another to try to ask out a former patient.

I'll challenge you with a this. Go to your boss, ask him/her what the agencies stance is on a medic dating a former patient. Then go ask them this follow up question. What would happen if that medic had gotten the patients phone number from the hospital face sheet and contacted the patient via that information and she/he made a complaint.

I can bet your agency would not like the fine that the office of Civil rights would levy against the service for a blatant disregard and breaking of Hipaa. Last time I checked an individual violation can result in a 25K fine against the service.

I have a friend who is a multi-millionaire because he lodged a hipaa complaint against his former employer.

I'm not saying that it doesnt' happen every day but what I'm saying is that if someone is that hard up that they have to go after a former patient to try to date them then that's just messed up.

I await your answer to the challenge question above.

Edited by Ruffems

I have just a very vague knowledge about the hole HIPAA Thing so I will answer from my current european perspective..

My former service had no problem with a medic dating a patient. Happend a few times, a few marriages and baby were created this time...(Basically you can almost date everyone as long its not your student... this may even bring you to jail here,no matter how old they are)

BUT: A medic would definitly be fired for getting the phone number from a patient record.

It is okay to ask a patient for a number,e-Mail or a date during the call as long the patient care is not affected, the question ist well mannered (this i.e. means the medic ask once and not till he gets a positive result), the patient sane and in a stable coniditon and the question is asked in a way that it's easy to be recognized as a private question. This means "What's your phone number" is wrong..As the patient may think this is related to official duties... But..He may ask "I like to ask you out for a date, may I get your phone number?".

I have just a very vague knowledge about the hole HIPAA Thing so I will answer from my current european perspective..

My former service had no problem with a medic dating a patient. Happend a few times, a few marriages and baby were created this time...(Basically you can almost date everyone as long its not your student... this may even bring you to jail here,no matter how old they are)

BUT: A medic would definitly be fired for getting the phone number from a patient record.

It is okay to ask a patient for a number,e-Mail or a date during the call as long the patient care is not affected, the question ist well mannered (this i.e. means the medic ask once and not till he gets a positive result), the patient sane and in a stable coniditon and the question is asked in a way that it's easy to be recognized as a private question. This means "What's your phone number" is wrong..As the patient may think this is related to official duties... But..He may ask "I like to ask you out for a date, may I get your phone number?".

Yeah, only thing - I would do that at the end of the call only, since it could be awkward for the pat. if she declined and you`d still be rendering care.

In my humble opinion...

1) Ambulance Crewperson meeting a past patient, casually, in public, and unplanned, mentioning having treated them, and asking for a date: Creepy, but acceptable.

2) Ambulance Crewperson asking a patient, during a call, for a date: Creepy, and IMHO, unprofessional.

3) Ambulance Crewperson copying home address and/or telephone number of a patient from either the call report, or from the hospital records: (Alarm bells, horns, and sirens sounding!) HIPAA violation, unprofessional behavior, "charges package" against the crewperson, possible firings, and notification to state DoH for possible revocation of licence/certificate.

4) Patient asks Ambulance Crewperson for a date, while still being treated: Got to question if the patient is truly alert and oriented as to who they are, where they are, and when they are, and then, iffy as to going along with the request. Is the patient hot? (Actually, not going there, just beating some on the site to the punch with the joke.)

5) Ambulance Crewperson meeting a past patient, casually, in public, and unplanned, and former patient asks for a date: Depending on curiosity factor of crewperson, perhaps, but I see no legal or moral issues with that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.