When To Use Glucagon IN

uglyEMT

Not really a big fan of Jim Carey. SOME of his movies are alright, but mostly it is just him being a complete jackass and using the same gestures in all his films. Only thing that changes is his script...

annnnyway, is this troll finally shutting up or what?

...In its investigation of herbal and chemical ingredients, the work of the pharma may be regarded as a precursor of the modern sciences of chemistry and pharmacology, prior to the formulation of the scientific method...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pharmacy

You claim your other plagiarized thought was from Pubmed, when it was actually from some self help site that children use to research school papers and again you fail to cite your source for the above. Wikipedia? Really?

C'mon man. Get your medic and then you won't be so jealous of those that actually have it. Some day when your balls drop you may be brave enough to actually go out and do medicine instead of simply trying and talk about it. Emphasis on 'try.'

I wish better for you than this.

Do you guys remember that other limp dick that threatened me and my family a few years back? Does this guys tone sound the same?

Perhaps Admin has super secret bat handshake kinds of ways to make sure that we're not humoring such a person again?

A thought...perhaps if we don't feed the troll he will go away...

Dwayne

For our service, we don't have glucagon at all. Aside from price, the fact that we probably would have used it maybe once in the past year AND the fact we are about 20 minutes from a local facility...it's not effective if your patient has already used up their glycogen stores which is what would happen in your patients with insulin pumps that have gone screwy.

Glucagon IM is used in our system extremely often. We are also very close to hospitals. But they prefer us to reduce the amount of time patient is hypoglycemic. Also, out of dozens of times I've seen it used, I can think of very very few where it didn't work to a noticeable degree (haven't had the insulin pump gone screw incidents, though).

I have to say thank you for introducing me to a new route for glucagon, haven't encountered it I/N yet, yet with the nasal mucosa and linings it makes sense.

In hospital, I haven't personally had trouble with patients who have come in with glucagon administered. If they have come in with hypoglycemia with fragile insulin regiemes, often a GIK infusion is started to balance out the solutions in the body, often with just the dextrose prior to initiating the GIK infusion.

We have a frequent flier who overdoses on her husbands metformin and it is a bitch to get IV starts on her, mind you am getting better at my foot cannulations now with her :)

I will look at Glucagon I/N at work and speak to some docs about it, and from a Prehospital perspective, we only have it IM here.

Scotty

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.