COuncilman wants EMS to respond before police in violent incidents

emtannie

Do you do the same practice everytime you respond to the local trailer park (where the poor white people live)?

That's pretty racist of you crotchity. I've responded to a few trailer parks in my days and have seen plenty of non-white people. So according to you, just because it is a trailer park means that it is inhabited by poor white people. Nope, not too racist.

As for this asshat, does he really think that sending unarmed, unprotected, untrained people into a dangerous scene is a good idea? As others have said, instead of needing to treat 1 victim, it's better to treat 3 victims? That makes a lot of sense. The assailant was mad enough to shoot/stab/beat someone, do you really think he will think twice about taking out an EMS crew trying to help the person he was trying to kill? Hospitals go on lock-down or whatever their procedures are when a violence victim comes in because of the possibility of the assailants coming in to finish off the job and anyone that gets in the way. Assclown.

• Like 4

You know Doc, though I hate to think it as he's sometimes had valuable opinions, I think we've pretty much got to put Crotchity in the troll catergory.

Though his opinions have often been unpopular I do believe that he used to have some points of view, sometimes the racist ones most of all, that were worth considering despite the fact that they were often politically incorrect....

Unfortunately now he simply posts those types of ideas and runs away... That's too bad.

Have a great day all!

Dwayne

My problem with this is it just based on the call, or is it based on the neighborhood ? Obviously, we should not go in before PD if there is a report of violence (a shooting, assault, stabbing), but if it is a reported cardiac arrest and we are staging because the neighborhood is known to be rough, then that is just racism. And before everyone screams, I could prove it if I were there by simply asking, "Do you do the same practice everytime you respond to the local trailer park (where the poor white people live)?

The article made no mention of race. Do you know something else about this story?

Clearly it would depend on the demographics of your particular situation, and where the high crime areas happen to be . In my case, the most violent, crime ridden areas ARE black. The last stat I heard was that around 95% of the homicides here are in these areas, committed by blacks, against other blacks. You area may be different. Maybe it's hispanics the comprise the worst areas. Maybe it's white trailer park folks.

It's based on the call AND the neighborhood. If I get a call for a shooting, I don't care if it's in the most expensive part of town, I go on high alert- especially if I don't know if the scene is secure yet. If I am in a ghetto area, I'm already on a higher alert because there is a pervasive issue with safety every single day. I don't care if it's a call for an OB, asthma, or belly ache, if the area is swamped with crime, ANY call can be dangerous if you aren't paying attention to your surroundings. LIke I said, the scariest incidents I have been involved with had nothing to do with the type of call I was on, and they were NOT for shootings , beatings, or stabbings.

This isn't racism, it's just common sense.

• Like 1

...... Maybe it's hispanics the comprise the worst areas. Maybe it's white trailer park folks.

Yup, around here it is the Native reserves. Those responding to a reserve usually don a trauma vest they carry hanging on the back of thier seat.

Racist? I don't believe so.

Just read the newspapers.... or studies!

A racist would generalize that ALL First nations people are of low social stature, and a threat to the community.

A realist would generalize that when responding to densly populated first nations areas, you should take extra precautions (Police, vest, big flashlight etc). However would not generalize ALL first nations into a catagory.

An idiot would look past the obvious and get killed.

Insert whatever race you want into this formula.

• Like 1

black councilman

Black victims

The ambulance crews must have been white

Thus the race card.

It took less than 1 page to get that card thrown down.

And Yes, if the trailer park is composed of mainly low income white folks and theres a shooting or another violent incident then hell yes, I'm going to wait for PD.

My waiting on PD to get there to make my scene safe knows no COLOR barrier. White, black, red, blue, purple or green people - I wait for PD if the scene is unsafe.

I'm sorry but Crotchity you truly do play the race card too much.

black councilman

Black victims

The ambulance crews must have been white

Thus the race card.

It took less than 1 page to get that card thrown down.

And Yes, if the trailer park is composed of mainly low income white folks and theres a shooting or another violent incident then hell yes, I'm going to wait for PD.

My waiting on PD to get there to make my scene safe knows no COLOR barrier. White, black, red, blue, purple or green people - I wait for PD if the scene is unsafe.

I'm sorry but Crotchity you truly do play the race card too much.

I'll guess the double posting was an honest error, Jeff. "Equipment Fail", not your error

My ex girlfriend, who is Deneh Navajo, might have something to comment on living on a "Rez", as she's also lived at numerous places around the US, Israel, and Italy before her one year on the Reservation. She's in Maine, now.

I'll guess the double posting was an honest error, Jeff. "Equipment Fail", not your error

My ex girlfriend, who is Deneh Navajo, might have something to comment on living on a "Rez", as she's also lived at numerous places around the US, Israel, and Italy before her one year on the Reservation. She's in Maine, now.

Richard: I was trying to post so it would effectivly put forth the image I was trying to paint.

Although I do not discriminate against reservations based on race (my wife is part Cree), I am a realist. The fact is in my area, the local reservations are gang ridden, and highly violent. I believe it has nothing to do with race.

However, when called to a reservation, my "spidey senses" are on high. NOT because thier first nations people, but because they are known to be exessivly violent, and have little respect for anyone in uniform. Again... not because thier first nations, but for thier own reasons.

I am not saying ALL first nations are of this stereotype, I am saying that community is. That is the difference between racist and realist IMHO.

I really hope I did not offend you, or your former girlfriend.

Edited by mobey

Well, there are some generalizations one can make that are NOT PC. There is a huge alcohol problem within the Native American community. I have read they may have a genetic predisposition for an intolerance to alcohol. Who knows? There are also medical conditions and diseases that are more prevalent in one ethnic/racial community vs another.

Is it racist to point out such differences?

Personally, I cannot find the truth offensive- regardless of how unpleasant it may be. You cannot address a problem- whatever it is- if you don't talk about it, understand it, and accept it. That said-even with a genetic component to a problem, it still does not doom a person or a race/culture/ethnic group to have that problem.

Yup, around here it is the Native reserves. Those responding to a reserve usually don a trauma vest they carry hanging on the back of thier seat.

Racist? I don't believe so.

Just read the newspapers.... or studies!

A racist would generalize that ALL First nations people are of low social stature, and a threat to the community.

A realist would generalize that when responding to densly populated first nations areas, you should take extra precautions (Police, vest, big flashlight etc). However would not generalize ALL first nations into a catagory.

An idiot would look past the obvious and get killed.

Insert whatever race you want into this formula.

Totally agree. Pretending a problem does not exist in the name of being PC is foolish, as well as dangerous. It's all about context and environment. Honesty and political correctness are usually mutually exclusive, which only creates more problems.

Well said, you must be able to take off those rose colored glasses that reflect your beliefs as truth, and look for the truth you may not know. I know plenty of agencies that will not respond into a housing project for any call without PD. Funny, I have heard about all these ambulances that get shot at, but I have yet to see one in person. To DELAY Care to a patient based solely on the neighborhood they live in (WHEN A VIOLENT CRIME IS NOT INVOLVED), should be criminal. If I said I wouldn't give care to a white woman who had an abortion because of my religous principles, you would all raise hell. But if I say that minority who lives in the housing project will have to wait an extra 20 minutes on an ambulance, because the neighborhood looks spooky, then that is OK.

As far as poor white people in trailor parks, I have yet to meet a rich white person living in a trailor park. Nor have I met a rich minority in a housing project. Its not racism, its acknowledgement that poor people live in poor neighborhoods.

Edited by crotchitymedic1986

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.