What "fluids" can't/ can you handle?

Fluids don't really get to me much, although I am not a big fan of liquid BM (really, who is?).

Those 2 girls with that cup :|

Burnt hair is too much for me. Not really a fluid..... although if it gets wet it gets stronger smelling.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just checking this website out it is a branch off of People of walmart. Most of them if not all are drunk an passed out in vomit or some other "fluid". Frankly it is gross and I saw some pages not the whole site. It was not something that is entertaining. I like funny things as much as the next person but this was just gross. It got me to thinking I am not good with vomit, most others I can handle BM grosses me out too but you just get thru it.

What grosses you out and how do you "make it thru a call"?

I do not get grossed out easily, but when I see/hear someone hack up a big huge hocker, I could puke. I can't stand to see people spit on the ground. When it comes to patient care, I do not even think about it. I performed autopsies over 10 years ago and sometimes I still get a whiff of "dead."

Decomp or burnt flesh have a lasting aroma. I found that Carmex- applied under the nose, is a very good deterrent to the foul smell. Decomp used to be my nemesis, but after a heat wave here when we saw literally hundreds of dead bodies, I became immune to it. Breathing through your mouth works for me- the smell somehow bypasses the nose.

As was mentioned, it depends on the situation. The only time a smell got to me was years ago. I came into work, badly hung over(in my young, stupid, and single days when drinking all night was common) I had to work after being at a particularly "good" party the night before. The very first patient was a younger woman who complained of abdominal pain and nausea. Nothing serious- a simple virus. As we were wheeling her out, she said, I think I am going to be sick. I looked at her and said- only half joking- if she threw up, so would I. She did- and I did, as soon as I saw her. Right on the sidewalk. I was totally embarrassed, she looked at me and asked if I was OK. I said I felt much better now, and she said she did as well. My partner laughed so hard he nearly wet himself.

LOL

Had one patient that still makes me gag to this day nearly 5 years later, been unkempt for weeks, urinated on himself, body odour and then when taking across to the stretcher, defecated himself and also had pressure ulcers and what looked like Nacrotising Fascitis on the lower extremities. Liquid bowel motion coupled with decayed skin and all the other smells, in the back of a small ambulance, it made me reetch big time. Working as an RN, nothing can compare to that smell.

I still remember my first major burns patient, but the adrenaline was going that fast that I didn't notice it at the time, it wasn't until they were transported it hit. Of course it was my own father so I think it all hit at once when the truck took off to the trauma centre. Nearly 10 years ago that happened, still smell it this time later.

Had one patient that still makes me gag to this day nearly 5 years later, been unkempt for weeks, urinated on himself, body odour and then when taking across to the stretcher, defecated himself and also had pressure ulcers and what looked like Nacrotising Fascitis on the lower extremities. Liquid bowel motion coupled with decayed skin and all the other smells, in the back of a small ambulance, it made me reetch big time. Working as an RN, nothing can compare to that smell.

You described one of my patients almost to a T. Only reason I did not post about it is lacking the ability to describe it. Only difference from yours and mine was a broken colostomy bag that had been poorly taken care of for quite some time. The odor was already there complicated by everything else, just as you have described. I would say thanks, but I'm about ready to heave...

For me, it is just as much the sight as the smell. Its better if I am in a larger area, then stuck in the back of the ambulance. I have to be careful, I have a weak stomach, if it smells bad enough, I will throw up. My parents still tell a story about when I was about 8, and the dog fart smelled so bad I puked. I will probably never live that one down. Sometimes a bad smell/sight will turn my stomach and I will throw up. Luckily this had only happened once on the job, and i got outside before it happened. I think the worst smell, is after they pop an abcess. Anybody ever smelled that? UGH, curdles my stomach just thinking about it.

fecal vomit....even worse when the dementia pt spews it into their 02 mask then starts eating it before you can get your seatblet off to take the mask off their face

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.