Mosque at Ground Zero is a "Slap in the Face"

tniuqs

But isn't Vatican City 100% roman catholic in nature so why are we even discussing a Synagogue in Vatican City. Isnt' this question a red herring?

And Saudi Arabia is officially 100% Islamic, so why are we even discussing a synagogue there?

Status of religious freedom

Saudi Arabia is an Islamic monarchy and the Government has declared the Qur'an and the Sunnah (tradition) of Muhammad to be the country’s Constitution. Freedom of religion is severely limited. Islam is the official religion. Under the law, children of male citizens are considered Muslim, regardless of the country or the religious tradition in which they have been raised.[3] The Government prohibits the private and public practice of other religions. The Government bases its legitimacy on governance according to the precepts of the rigorously conservative and strict interpretation of the Salafi or Wahhabi school of the Sunni branch of Islam and discriminates against other branches of Islam. Neither the Government nor society in general accepts the concepts of separation of religion and state, and such separation does not exist.

The legal system is based on Sharia (Islamic law), with Shari'a courts basing their judgments largely on a code derived from the Qur'an and the Sunnah. The Government permits Shi'a Muslims to use their own legal tradition to adjudicate noncriminal cases within their community.

The only national holidays observed in Saudi Arabia are the two Eids, Eid Al-Fitr at the end of Ramadan and Eid Al-Adha at the conclusion of the Hajj and the Saudi national day. While observance of the Shi'a holiday of Ashura is allowed in the eastern city of Qatif, in other areas with large Shi'a populations, such as Al-Hasa, Al-Hofuf and Dammam, the Shi'a religious practices are restricted.[3]

And Saudi Arabia is officially 100% Islamic, so why are we even discussing a synagogue there?

And that is the reason why I said the question was a Red Herring, meant to confuse not enlighten.

The vatican is 100% roman Catholic so why are we discussing a synagogue there?

Fair enough.

I am of the opinion that we have beaten this horse to a pulp. I don't think there is any more value to be gained from this topic.

Those who have spoken have said their piece either for or against the mosque.

I think we are just like the New Yorkers, some for it, some against.

I think the consensus is that the placement of this cultural center SUCKS and is INSENSITIVE but I think that's all that can be said from here on out.

Even better: how many mosques in Isreal?

(Answer: more than a few.)

...and Saudi Arabia doesn't guarantee freedom of religion. The US does, which is why, again, the entire argument is really a moot point. I'm not going to support compromising the Constitution because one group of extremists ended up empowering another group of extremists, and yes. Trashing one of the most basic tenets of this country is extremism.

Edited by JPINFV

• 2 weeks later...

So now Lets Fan the Flames ?

Look on CNN and +++++ others and the commentary on this latest development.

http://sify.com/news/us-commander-in-afghanistan-asks-church-not-to-burn-quran-news-international-kjhvkregddd.html

This is beyond a shadow of doubt, directly result of the proposed "Building a Mosque" near ground zero, so good job to those that supported "freedom of religion" over wisdom.

sheesh !

I'm trying to figure out how a commander asking a church (You can request anything you want, doesn't mean you're going to get it) not to burn a religious book and saying that the government can't ban a religious house of worship for no better reason than the religion represented is the same thing. Oh, wait, it's OK to burn the Quran, but the outrage would be enormous if anyone decided to burn the Bible or Torah.

[sarcasm]Quick... let's burn the Bible and Torah at the steps of the White House and see what happens![/sarcasm]

I'm trying to figure out how a commander asking a church (You can request anything you want, doesn't mean you're going to get it) not to burn a religious book and saying that the government can't ban a religious house of worship for no better reason than the religion represented is the same thing. Oh, wait, it's OK to burn the Quran, but the outrage would be enormous if anyone decided to burn the Bible or Torah.

[sarcasm]Quick... let's burn the Bible and Torah at the steps of the White House and see what happens![/sarcasm]

The Dove World Outreach Centre, an evangelical Christian church with just 50 members in Gainesville, wants to hold the 'International Burn a Quran Day' to mark the ninth anniversary of the Sep 11, 2001 terrorist attack.

US Lieutenant General William Caldwell noted that many Afghans don't understand that the Quran-burning is protected by the US constitutional right to freedom of expression and that President Barack Obama cannot simply forbid it.

Pastor Terry Jones told CNN Tuesday that the church has 'firmly made up (its) mind', but is 'weighing the situation' (in the wake of General David Petraeus' comments). 'We realise that this action would indeed offend people, offend the Muslims,' he said. 'I am offended when they burn the flag. I am offended when they burn the Bible. But we feel that the message that we are trying to send is much more important than people being offended. It is not to the moderate Muslim,' he (Pastor Jones) added. 'Our message is not a message of hate. Our message is a message of warning to the radical element of Islam.'

Burning any religious item by members of a different religion, in my opinion, is, flat out, an act of hate, and probably will cause retaliatory acts by the members of the religion so acted against.