Mosque at Ground Zero is a "Slap in the Face"

tniuqs

http://www.newsweek.com/blogs/the-gaggle/2010/05/10/right-wing-mosque-at-ground-zero-is-a-quot-slap-in-the-face-quot.html

This Week in Conservative Media

Plans for the construction of a mosque just two blocks from Ground Zero are prompting outrage in the blogosphere, but the emotional reaction appears to falling on deaf ears. The Cordoba House project, according to CNN, calls for a 15-story community center that would include a performance-art center, gym, swimming pool, and a mosque. So far there seems little indication the city will do anything to appease those opposed to it.

"The time for a center like this has come because Islam is an American religion," Daisy Khan, executive director of the American Society for Muslim Advancement, told CNN. "We need to take the 9/11 tragedy and turn it into something very positive.” According to the New York Daily News, Imam Feisel Abdul Rauf, who helped found the Cordoba Initiative following the 9/11 attacks, said the project is intended to foster better relations between the West and Muslims, but if conservative commentators are any indication of the reaction, the mosque is opening, not healing, old wounds.

According to the American Thinker’s Ethel C. Fenig, “ Placing the center close to the site of the late World Trade Center will not promote healing and as for promoting a ‘better understanding of their religion’ it would certainly be a constant reminder of the evil its capable of.”

Ruthfully Yours blogger Madeline Brooks calls it “a slap in the face.” Like many opponents to the mosque, she brings up building-permit issues, an effort that feels like a desperate measure to stop in the inevitable. “Still another unsettling part of Rauf’s problem mosque is why the city has given the building a pass. Records for the Department of Buildings have shown numerous complaints for illegal construction and no access, yet the issues were listed as “resolved.” The recent Times Square bombing attempt is also brought up as a reason for Mayor Bloomberg to stop to the mosque from being built. “If not, he will be helping to provide a handy meeting place for future terrorists, those who understand Imam Rauf’s real message: Speak sweetly, appear to be a well-adjusted member of American society, and plan the destruction of America, either with bombs or ‘peaceful’ undermining.”

But the plans for the mosque have been apparent for months, if not longer, and the complaints have had little influence. Last year WorldNetDaily’s Chelsea Schilling collected reader responses when news of the mosque was first unveiled. The protest? Sound and fury, signifying nothing—so far. “Who wants to bet this place becomes a "tourist attraction" for Muslims? This mosque will become one of Islam's holiest shrines as it sits upon the site of their greatest modern military victory,” wrote one. Another reader, seeming depressed by it all, simply added: “Good idea. Maybe terrorists will be less likely to bomb this area if there's a mosque there."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=966WFdC48PE

Someone does not like this idea.

Perhaps some may see this is a a bad thing. I however, do not. The tragic events that happened on 9/11 should not reflect on those terrorist's religion as a whole. Yes, they were Muslim but not all Muslims are terrorists. We as a country need to be more tolerant of others. Just because they are different in any way, some people have to dislike them. There is a Mosque being built near Ground Zero... I think this is good. It shows the world we ARE tolerant and welcome the faith of others. Even in the shadows of one of the worst events that has happened to our country, it shows everyone we are tolerant.

Remember folks, just because the spot is a dog, and spot has four legs.. doesn't mean all dogs have four legs.

• Like 3

Perhaps some may see this is a a bad thing. I however, do not. The tragic events that happened on 9/11 should not reflect on those terrorist's religion as a whole. Yes, they were Muslim but not all Muslims are terrorists. We as a country need to be more tolerant of others. Just because they are different in any way, some people have to dislike them. There is a Mosque being built near Ground Zero... I think this is good. It shows the world we ARE tolerant and welcome the faith of others. Even in the shadows of one of the worst events that has happened to our country, it shows everyone we are tolerant.

Remember folks, just because the spot is a dog, and spot has four legs.. doesn't mean all dogs have four legs.

Plus 1 FM65....

I have a cat with three legs.....but that is another story.

Seriously, I think you post is honest and well stated. Thank you...

AM 571

• Like 1

To play the devils advocate and not politically correct.

<snip>

We as a country need to be more tolerant of others.

Just because they are different in any way, some people have to dislike them. There is a Mosque being built near Ground Zero... I think this is good.

It shows the world we ARE tolerant and welcome the faith of others.

Even in the shadows of one of the worst events that has happened to our country, it shows everyone we are tolerant.

Seasons Greetings :devilish:

Edited by tniuqs
  • Like 1

Here's the deal. No, all Muslims do not believe the extreme lunacy of radical Islam, just as all Christians do not agree with white supremacist's bastardization of Christianity. Does that mean we should allow the KKK to set up a few burning crosses in the middle of an area of a city that is predominantly black?

I'm sick and tired of all this PC bull. Sorry folks, but all over the planet, terrorists are predominantly Muslim in nature. Shall we list all the recent attacks perpetrated by radical Muslims?

They want to build a new mosque? Fine, but NYC is a big area- pick another spot. WHY does it need to be in such close proximity to the WTC site? It's a slap in the face to those who died and the families they left behind. Every single one of those 9/11 hijackers were Muslim, what they did was because of their "religion". Fact.

I don't give a crap if those who want to build that mosque are the best people on the planet. It's wrong and completely insensitive, and if these Muslims cannot understand that, then maybe they aren't the best examples of people who follow Islam.

• Like 2

Here's the deal. No, all Muslims do not believe the extreme lunacy of radical Islam, just as all Christians do not agree with white supremacist's bastardization of Christianity. Does that mean we should allow the KKK to set up a few burning crosses in the middle of an area of a city that is predominantly black?

Herbie, that is an excellent analogy!

I do think that there are times when political correctness goes too far, and the wishes of a few outweigh the wishes of the many.

This mosque is going to be offensive to many who travel to Ground Zero.

Although Christianity has its bizarre splinter groups, overall, Christianity focuses on leading a life free of sin, including avoiding sinning against others. Leading a sin free life includes treating others well, and forgiving those who do ill to you, and loving all people.

Forgiving sins is not the same as ignoring sins. Christianity does not tell people to ignore the sins of others. The Bible says to “turn the other cheek” but it does not tell its followers to ignore abuse.

We do not ignore a child who continually hits others. We do not ignore a person who abuses others. We do not say “oh, it is their belief and so we must tolerate their behaviors.” Some religions teach their followers to actively discriminate on the basis of race, gender, sexual orientation, or nationality. So why then, do we ignore the beliefs of certain religious groups, who teach racism, sexism, homophobia, hatred of other religions, etc., in the name of tolerance?

Yes, there are members of the Muslim community who are not terrorists, and are kind, compassionate members of society. Perhaps we should expect them to control their own members, much as we expect a parent to control their screaming child. By not allowing this mosque to be built, we are sending the message “we will not accept your religion in this area, due to the damage, pain and suffering some members of your religion have caused to those in this area.” Why is that a bad thing? By showing members of the Muslim community that they have to control their own members in order to be welcome in America, we are not being intolerant – we are protecting our own innocent members of our society.

• Like 2

Er. I think there's a bit of a difference between a mosque and a burning cross. A better analogy would be no white owned churches in black neighborhoods.

I'm sick and tired of all this PC bull. Sorry folks, but all over the planet, terrorists are predominantly Muslim in nature. Shall we list all the recent attacks perpetrated by radical Muslims?

Ted Kacynski, Tim McVeigh, and the abortion clinic bombers all send their regards. Also, there was a pretty lengthy period when the Christians were the world's terrorists. It doesn't make terrorism right, but neither does claiming that any one religion is someone the religion of terror.

They want to build a new mosque? Fine, but NYC is a big area- pick another spot. WHY does it need to be in such close proximity to the WTC site? It's a slap in the face to those who died and the families they left behind. Every single one of those 9/11 hijackers were Muslim, what they did was because of their "religion". Fact.

Well, gee, we weren't expecting a Spanish Inquisition or anything. Also, what about the numerous Muslims who who weren't terrorists that died on 9/11? Oh, wait, their death means less than those real, red blooded Christian Americans who died, right?

Also, how far away is "appropriate." Should any mosques currently in that radius be torn down? Should churches be torn down near abortion clinics because radical Christians bombed abortion clinics?

We do not ignore a child who continually hits others. We do not ignore a person who abuses others. We do not say “oh, it is their belief and so we must tolerate their behaviors.” Some religions teach their followers to actively discriminate on the basis of race, gender, sexual orientation, or nationality. So why then, do we ignore the beliefs of certain religious groups, who teach racism, sexism, homophobia, hatred of other religions, etc., in the name of tolerance?

I'm sorry... you lost me here. Are you saying that Christian religions aren't homophobic or contain scriptures that consider any non-Christian religion as being sinful? Also, there's a very large difference between not ignoring a child who hits other people and blaming an entire religion for the acts of a few, regardless of what that few claim that their actions are for.

Yes, there are members of the Christian community who are not child molesters, and are kind, compassionate members of society. Perhaps we should expect them to control their own members, much as we expect a parent to control their screaming child. By not allowing this church to be built, we are sending the message “we will not accept your religion in this area, due to the damage, pain and suffering some members of your religion have caused to those in this area.” Why is that a bad thing? By showing members of the Christian community that they have to control their own members in order to be welcome in America, we are not being intolerant – we are protecting our own innocent members of our society.

Any response to this conversation being turned around? ..and, for the record, child molestation is not an issue unique to the Catholic Church. Example, those crazy Baptists who blamed a girl for getting pregnant after being raped. No more Baptist churches with in 1000 feet of a playground or school?

http://www.concordmonitor.com/article/police-girl-raped-then-relocated

• Like 2

JPINFV quote “I'm sorry... you lost me here. Are you saying that Christian religions aren't homophobic or contain scriptures that consider any non-Christian religion as being sinful? Also, there's a very large difference between not ignoring a child who hits other people and blaming an entire religion for the acts of a few, regardless of what that few claim that their actions are for.”

Sorry, JP, I fear I may not have explained myself very well.

I am not saying that Christian religions aren’t homophobic. I am also not saying that non-Christian religions are sinful. I am saying true Christianity (regardless of denomination) focuses on living a life of love and forgiveness, and trying not to sin.

I am not blaming an entire religion for the acts of a few; however, I do feel that that religion has an obligation to curb the activities of those few, just like a parent is obligated to curb the tantrum of their child.

JPIFNV quote: "Any response to this conversation being turned around? ..and, for the record, child molestation is not an issue unique to the Catholic Church. Example, those crazy Baptists who blamed a girl for getting pregnant after being raped. No more Baptist churches with in 1000 feet of a playground or school?

http://www.concordmo...-then-relocated

It doesn’t matter if the conversation is turned around. If a group of people within a specified group have intentionally caused harm, it is up to the members of that group to curb their activities. Other groups do not have to tolerate those activities.

I feel it is up to the Muslim community to curb the terrorist actions of the few; I believe it is up to the Catholic church to curb the child abuse actions of certain priests; I believe it is up to the Baptist community to step in and help the girl who was raped. If these groups do not, it is up to the surrounding community to protect themselves from these actions, and if that means that a certain group is not allowed to build a building to gather in, regardless of name (church, mosque, meeting hall), then they should not be allowed to.

The Catholic Church has been attempting to stop the actions of those priests who abused children. There have been numerous cases which have been investigated internally, and with the help of law enforcement to bring those perpetrators to justice. I am not sure about the Baptist one - I will have to look into that more. I am curious - what has the Muslim community done to help bring those who attacked the World Trade Centre to justice? I am not just asking this to be obtuse - I am asking because I truly haven't seen any news articles, documentaries, or other information showing that the Muslim community truly has put significant effort into catching those responsible, and working to ensure further terrorist attacks don't occur.

While I agree that as a whole, the Islamic religion does not represent the views of extremists, it irks me that a mosque (a representation of Islam) is being built at the foot of two amazing structures destroyed by muslim extremism. Some of you here might argue that it was actually socioeconomic and political factors that gave rise to Muslim extremism that took countless lives on 9/11, but you would be wrong. Most of the conspirators including the pilots in the 9/11 plot had PhDs, and were from wealthy backgrounds. Recent psychological research into religious extremism finds that even after you correct for poverty, lack of economic opportunity, etc, extremist views in the middle east actually increase.

"Go forth in Jihad... [9.39] If you do not go forth in Jihad, He will chastise you with a painful chastisement and bring in your place a people other than you [to go on Jihad]"...

I am not saying that Christian religions aren’t homophobic. I am also not saying that non-Christian religions are sinful. I am saying true Christianity (regardless of denomination) focuses on living a life of love and forgiveness, and trying not to sin.

Um, have you read the Old Testament? Yahweh of the old testament is perhaps one of the most unpleasant, cruel, jealous characters ever to be written about in any book.

Edited by daedalus
  • Like 2