I got hurt on the job

Kaisu

The folks I work with are just getting Strykers. Until now, they have used the Fernos (H frame). As luck would have it, I was working 1800 to 0600 and we were getting our asses kicked. 6 calls before midnight and 3 of them very critical patients. My partner and I were taking a patient having an acute MI from the ED of one hospital to the cath lab in another. Patient was having runs of pulseless vtach and was very sick. My partner at the head did not get the cot turned square with the curb. He had one wheel on the cut out and the other on the high end of the curb. It took everything I had to prevent that patient from dumping. The adrenaline was so high that I didnt even realize I had hurt myself.

After that call, I had severe abdominal pain, cramping and nausea. Like the idiot I am, I toughed it out through the rest of the shift and took myself into an ER at 0700 after I got off shift. CT scan says incarcerated femoral hernia. Never had a problem like this before. I had emergency surgery yesterday and sit in my hotel room now, 1200 miles from home. I am a miserable, hurting unit. I am flying home Friday. I am just waiting for my roommate to get off shift so I can have her fill my painkiller prescriptions. I plan to drug myself into oblivion. It was not how I anticipated this very fulfilling and rewarding deployment to end.

Did anyone tell you this is career-ending? I was told my career was over in January when I had to have my third surgery for a hernia. They did this repair via thoracotomy and had to cut two of my ribs. Since they cut shingles in them they will not grow together. I was told by the surgeon that I needed to find a way to accelerate my other degree program because I could not return to EMS.

April 3, I returned to full duty. I have some awful neuropathy up and down my torso on the left side and I can feel my ribs rubbing nearly all the time, but I'll be damned if some doctor is going to tell me I can't work.

If you are determined to heal and determined to work, only YOU can stop yourself. Good luck and get better soon!

Heal quickly!!! Yikes.

I think she's referring to her out-of-state deployment... home turf for her is AZ, but she's on the East Coast right now. I don't think she's referring to her career as a whole being over. As a matter of fact, I'm willing to bet she won't give up on returning until she's exhausted all possible options... coz she's just that stubborn! ;-)

Hang in there!!

Wendy

CO EMT-B

coz she's just that stubborn! ;-)

Thats the understatement of the year. :whistle:

Get well quick lady. Make sure you follow up with the therapy as it will help you get up and around quicker.

Wonderful people... thank you so much for the support. This is NOT career ending. I had 9 days left on my deployment and was flying back to AZ to resume my job there. I plan to be out for a month then return to work. I have been up and walking since I got out of the recovery room (hypo-tension and dizziness not withstanding). The pain is actually better and at least Im not having to sit with my head between my knees on the return trek to my hotel room after a cigarette.

Once again you folks come through for me. I was feeling so alone and isolated. Thanks again for being there.