I got hurt on the job

Kaisu

oh man.. I hear you guys.. the worst thing I could hear is ... you are not fit to work. I work really hard at staying in shape and this thing just bit me in the ass outta left field.

Now I've got to deal with corporate crap about light duty, etc.. when all I want is to have them leave me alone till I can lift again. They are so concerned with covering their asses in terms of possible litigation when that horse has left the barn... the emergency surgery alone will cost this division a bundle.

The whole process is geared towards the lowest common denominator.. the person that is looking for a free ride. All I want to do is get well and go back to what I love to do... and the process is throwing roadblocks in my way. It would be infuriating if I let myself go down that path.

As someone who has dealt with a couple duty related injuries, here's a couple tips. You are correct- they will try to keep their costs to a minimum. When I hurt my L5/S1 disc, they went the conservative- (AKA cheapest) route. I had to see department recommended doctors and follow their advice and treatment. I KNEW it was more than a simple sprain or strain and wanted an MRI. The docs refused- said that's not their procedure. So- did 3 months of PT- did everything required and was still in pain every single day- it never improved. They finally agreed to an MRI and VOILA- here's your problem- a bulging disc. Did the steroid injections- did not work. They said the only thing left was a fusion, which I declined. The pain was tolerable, and they said if I could tolerate the pain I could go back to work. I did- and that was 10 years ago. To this day, I wonder how much I aggravated my condition by the PT.

Be proactive in your care. PUSH for what you need. Do your homework on your problem and any possible treatments/follow ups that you should have.

Do not let them shortchange you- this is your future health.