Non-english EMT test in USA?

tamaith

Where do you see an issue with that to use the F word toward another forum member who did have a valid post?

It appeared as though I was being accused of being racist. I feel that's a valid reason for its use. It's an expression of my disgust.

It appeared as though I was being accused of being racist. I feel that's a valid reason for its use. It's an expression of my disgust.

Profanity of that type does not make your argument any more valid or credible.

sorry couldn't find where i said ppl who don't speak english are unintelligent.

I've already pointed out what was offensive in earlier posts. I don't think I have to keep repeating myself. It seems you want everyone to agree with you about providers who can pass an EMT test but haven't mastered the English language have no place working in the U.S. I have given you examples where that is not so. Since this has gone on for over a year and you seem to be still working in the situation, you may have to weigh your own options. You must know where your employer stands about extending opportunities to those who speak other languages. Instead of trying to get people on an anonymous forum to side with you again after another year has passed, tell your concerns to your employer or find one that agrees with your own personal beliefs.

Edited by VentMedic
  • Like 1

This is an issue that goes far beyond what language an EMT test is given. It speaks to the overall settling for sub-par standards that has become epidemic in this country. The number one topic for discussion on this site is the struggle to gain respect as professionals, the lack of consistency in education, how the EMS industry needs to change it's perspective and focus, to take charge of it's future in professional healthcare. Well, providing education and/or professional certification/licensure testing in languages other than English is in direct opposition to all of those goals. It's a broader issue than simple testing - it's about professional standards and it parallels the standards for our society. Any state or national governing body that bestows certification and/or licensing of medical professionals should require candidates to possess the ability to "read, write, speak, and understand words in ordinary usage in the English language." (from the Requirements for US Citizenship) This is not asking anything remarkable as those same skills are necessary to perform the duties of an EMT in this country. (All legal documentation in the US must be filed in English.) Rudimentary English performance (i.e. high-school level) is required for entry to Paramedic program offered through any community college, as it is for entry to any secondary education institution. Why should not the same standards be met at the EMT level? When it comes right down to it, this is just another reason why we need to officially designate English as our national language. But, oh no! Can't do that!

Apparently, it is okay for other countries to have an official national language, but if the United States tried to establish English as its official language it is racist. One must see a paradox here. The problem with a bilingual society is that it causes a division in that society. I am sure we would all prefer a united country, but if we continue to accept this idea that it is racist to even consider the possibility of an official national language of the United States then our society will split in two.

Liberals and groups that accuse people like me of being racist, and xenophobic (If you know what xenophobia is then you would see how ridiculous this accusation is) support division in our society. These people support segregation. Liberals see African-American, Asian-American, Mexican-American, ect… I just see Americans united as people of one nation under one flag. For the sake of keeping our society united why is the concept of an official language so difficult for some unless their true intentions are to segregate society, and to divide our country? This problem has nothing to do with ethnicity, and the only people making this a racial issue are those who continue to throw in the race card.

P.S. While I agree, in some respects, with the OP's standing, he/she has a long way to go in presenting a respectable platform. I would highly suggest that, before again attacking anything language-related, you invest in your own literacy. It is in extremely poor taste to question another's intelligence based on language ability when you seem unable to communicate in a complete sentence yourself.

And as to whoever it was that felt the need to resort to vulgarity in their post - if you don't have enough command of the English language to find a more appropriate and intelligent way to get your point across, than your statements lose any efficacy.

• Like 3

Not to spiral too far of the topic....

Has anyone used this before? Spanish for EMS

Very useful! While I obviously was pretty pointed on what I think of non-English speaking providers, I also see the obvious benefits to being able to communicate with non-English speaking patients, particularly in certain demographic areas. I personally have a medical English-Spanish pocket dictionary and have often made use of visual translators (by kwikpoint), both here and overseas.

Not to spiral too far of the topic....

Has anyone used this before? Spanish for EMS

I have not used the programme before. I do however carry a small English to Spanish translation guide in my pocket entitled "Speedy Spanish for Fire and EMS Personnel". It has afforded me the ability to acquire pertinent information from some Spanish speaking patient's I have encountered.

I do not recall what the cost was as I've had it for sometime. I do know it wasn't excessive. While I do not need it on a daily basis and my second language is French, it is just another tool at my disposal to assist me with pt. care.

Barnes and Noble is where I picked it up. www.speedylanguage.com is the publisher and, if they're still in business, I think you could order one from them if you wished.

Edited by JakeEMTP

This is an issue that goes far beyond what language an EMT test is given. It speaks to the overall settling for sub-par standards that has become epidemic in this country. The number one topic for discussion on this site is the struggle to gain respect as professionals, the lack of consistency in education, how the EMS industry needs to change it's perspective and focus, to take charge of it's future in professional healthcare. Well, providing education and/or professional certification/licensure testing in languages other than English is in direct opposition to all of those goals. It's a broader issue than simple testing - it's about professional standards and it parallels the standards for our society. Any state or national governing body that bestows certification and/or licensing of medical professionals should require candidates to possess the ability to "read, write, speak, and understand words in ordinary usage in the English language." (from the Requirements for US Citizenship) This is not asking anything remarkable as those same skills are necessary to perform the duties of an EMT in this country. (All legal documentation in the US must be filed in English.) Rudimentary English performance (i.e. high-school level) is required for entry to Paramedic program offered through any community college, as it is for entry to any secondary education institution. Why should not the same standards be met at the EMT level? When it comes right down to it, this is just another reason why we need to officially designate English as our national language. But, oh no! Can't do that!

Apparently, it is okay for other countries to have an official national language, but if the United States tried to establish English as its official language it is racist. One must see a paradox here. The problem with a bilingual society is that it causes a division in that society. I am sure we would all prefer a united country, but if we continue to accept this idea that it is racist to even consider the possibility of an official national language of the United States then our society will split in two.

Liberals and groups that accuse people like me of being racist, and xenophobic (If you know what xenophobia is then you would see how ridiculous this accusation is) support division in our society. These people support segregation. Liberals see African-American, Asian-American, Mexican-American, ect… I just see Americans united as people of one nation under one flag. For the sake of keeping our society united why is the concept of an official language so difficult for some unless their true intentions are to segregate society, and to divide our country? This problem has nothing to do with ethnicity, and the only people making this a racial issue are those who continue to throw in the race card.

P.S. While I agree, in some respects, with the OP's standing, he/she has a long way to go in presenting a respectable platform. I would highly suggest that, before again attacking anything language-related, you invest in your own literacy. It is in extremely poor taste to question another's intelligence based on language ability when you seem unable to communicate in a complete sentence yourself.

And as to whoever it was that felt the need to resort to vulgarity in their post - if you don't have enough command of the English language to find a more appropriate and intelligent way to get your point across, than your statements lose any efficacy.

Maverick,

That was an excellent post. As you and I have traveled some of the same scenery, I cannot agree more with your opinion on this subject. It would be nice if we (professional EMS providers), could all get on the same page and uphold the standards in which we are attempting to set.

I do not see any disadvantages to a provider being bilingual and could definitely see it as an asset. The english language is one of the most difficult to master and those that are willing to put forth the effort to speak effectively and are able to write a successful run sheet in english so it can be read by all, should not be barred from working EMS. Now considering the fact it is so difficult, and some of the questions are awkwardly worded on NREMT exam, I have no objection to them taking the written portion in their native language (be it spanish or anything else). I know at one point, one was able to request an oral exam (and I know other licensing boards still offer this option, but I'm unsure about NREMT)and know nothing about PA's options. However, I would expect them to speak english during the skills portion and be understood. But I think an effective compromise could be reached be it through oral testing (if they understand spoken english better than reading), or doing the written portion in their native language. I know working within a large spanish (among others) population, there were several that had extremely limited skills reading the english language, but were able to effectively communicate verbally what they needed. I don't think they should be penalized, but with ESL (english second language) classes being offered for free, then it is their responsibility to be educated, and I am not aware of any EMT classes being taught bilingually (though there may be some out there), so they should have at least a minimal understanding.

I always fantasised that I'd run a medic school that required bilingual proficiency to even attend, and do clinicals and internships in Mexico, where they were forced to use it.

I'm as radical as the next guy about believing that those who move here should learn the language. I would not dream of moving to another society and expecting them to accommodate me without learning their language. But the truth is that you will often need such a skill, and it's a serious step towards professionalism.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.