Non-english EMT test in USA?

tamaith

I have come across several emt b's that only know a handful of words in english. They will ask questions such as what is a blood pressure cuff? what is a pulse? which leads me to think that the rumor may be true.

How is it that they are then able to give any patient information to the hospital without causing a great deal of confusion?

vent , i probably did post something last year. In my eyes they are asking what the equipment is and used for ( could be wrong). I highly believe they are smart individuals and will someday master the english language. I am just confused on how the passed esp the medical part of the state exam. I have seen some of them in action where no questions were asked on a medical call and no report giving to the receiving hosp staff. I am sure that there are some emt's that speak english do the same and i don't know how they got by either.

Believe they are smart individuals? Are people who don't speak English usually stupid where you are at?

Medical part of an EMT exam? There is not very much to an EMT test that most any individual who even has not mastered the EMT exam can pass even if they use "luck" as many of the American EMTs do. Most have more ambition to put forth the effort to overcome obstacles instead of whining as those in the U.S. tend to do about "how hard the EMT test is".

racist to complain? well you are entitled to your opinion. I was just asking about taking the test not dealing with pt's. i think everyone has had a pt that doesn't speak english ( in the usa). how would you communicate with your partner if you spoke different languages? let's say your partner was driving and since he or she can't read english doesn't know that at a stop sign you should stop and drives through and hits a car? or you ask your partner to get something for you or help you out but has no clue what you are talking about what do you do ( time is ticking)

Newsflash for ya: States have been giving DL tests in several languages for many years.

A person can be a lousy care giver regardless of what language they speak. The U.S. EMS system even has some blatant examples of that.

In the U.S. we do have clinics and hospitals where English is not the primary language. Miami has hospitals where Spanish is spoken and San Francisco has Chinese Hospital.

Believe it or not because a person doesn't speak English doesn't mean they don't notice blood spurting out or a patient who can't breathe. You are talking about some first aid as an EMT. We have physicians from around the world who speak NO English that are our guests in hospitals across the country and even do surgery while having no problem communicating what they need to in the OR. If you are well trained and educated to do your job, you know what to do.

If you're seeking a professional certification or licensure in a country then you should be expected to speak the primary language. Even medical students at the schools in Puerto Rico take the USMLE in English even though their classes are split between English and Spanish and their primary patient population speaks Spanish. When you work in something like medicine, you need to be able to effectively communicate with the other professionals that you work with.

At the EMT or CNA level, this should not be such a major issue. These are tech certs that can be taught just about anywhere. If the person chooses to get into a college for RN or some other degree, then they will have to meet the requirements of the U.S. education system which will be

Right now there are probably over 20 different languages spokens in Haiti by all the medical teams assisting and most know what has to be done regardless of what language is spoken.

How is it that they are then able to give any patient information to the hospital without causing a great deal of confusion?

Ideally one partner would be bilingual if the other partner has not mastered English. Of course, being bilingual is not something that is encourage in this country. The other person might just be bilingual but in another language other than English. Example: Cuban children usually speak no less than 2 languages fluently but often the other language is one the tourists speak such as French.

If the other EMT only speaks English, they can give report. If talking over a patient that speaks only Spanish or one of the Chinese languages, the hospital may also have another bilingual interpreter or medical professional to make sure the information is correct.

We rarely partnered two people together that spoke no English on the ambulance and we also made sure one did speak Spanish. As EMTs they could find a job in the predominantly Spanish speaking hospitals as ER Techs since many of the hospitals offer their orientation in two languages at least.

to lisa, sometimes the driver will try to give the report even though he/she doesn't have all the info and is not in the back with the pt. it is very common where i am that one only speaks english and the other doesn't speak english.

vent, thank you for the heads up on dl's being offered in different languages. why are you dodging my previous questions ( how is it racist, what would do...)

:withstupid:

vent, thank you for the heads up on dl's being offered in different languages. why are you dodging my previous questions ( how is it racist, what would do...)

Racist? I have not used that word YET in my posts although your comments are getting somewhat offensive with your "smart enough" statements.

I would rather not get into a racist debate for a variety of reasons.

Also, if I remember correctly your last thread ended up with something about the Russian Mafia controlling PA EMS.

to lisa, sometimes the driver will try to give the report even though he/she doesn't have all the info and is not in the back with the pt. it is very common where i am that one only speaks english and the other doesn't speak english.

I can see how this is a beautiful thing for when you come across patients who do not speak english. However, can I ask if it just makes things harder for you when your partner struggles with english? Are you bilingual?

I guess I just see it as something that might bring undue frustration if a partner knows very little english in a field that demands clarity for patient care.

I know I am being naive....lol It's part of my charm icecream.gif

Ideally one partner would be bilingual if the other partner has not mastered English. Of course, being bilingual is not something that is encourage in this country.

Do you get higer pay in the EMS field?

As EMTs they could find a job in the predominantly Spanish speaking hospitals as ER Techs since many of the hospitals offer their orientation in two languages at least.

That makes sense

I guess I just see it as something that might bring undue frustration if a partner knows very little english in a field that demands clarity for patient care.

If your partner speaks the same language as most of the patients in that area what's the problem?

How is your English going to make things clearer for the patient?

Ideally, one partner should be bilingual especially if you are workinn an area where another language is also dominant.

Edited by VentMedic

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.