Non-english EMT test in USA?

tamaith

I always fantasised that I'd run a medic school that required bilingual proficiency to even attend, and do clinicals and internships in Mexico, where they were forced to use it.

Unless you provided the paramedics for clinicals, or EMS in Mexico has jumped by leaps in bounds the last couple years, your paramedic interns might be the most educated provider on the ambulance.

I'm as radical as the next guy about believing that those who move here should learn the language. I would not dream of moving to another society and expecting them to accommodate me without learning their language. But the truth is that you will often need such a skill, and it's a serious step towards professionalism.

But each situation is different. If you moved to France at the invitation of friends because the offered you a job, you might not wait a year while taking a crash course in French especially if you friends already knew you didn't speak the language.

The thing in many parts of the U.S. is that some parts have their own large sections where English is not spoken. That include our border towns, Miami, NYC and many of the China Towns across the country. Some who do come to this country are already skilled and "educated" in first aid and as nursing assistants so they would be of better use in some type of medical employment than washing dishing. I also believe one should have gainful employment and if there are areas that do hire people who speak another language because that is what the majority of their customers are, so be it. They can work and learn. I do not believe here in the U.S. able bodied people should be unemployed because of a few attitudes against "foreigners". These people are not stupid either. They know they probably can not walk into a hospital or EMS company in Kansas and get a job speaking only Spanish, Chinese or Russian. They will more than likely have someone here sponsor them and have already scoped out employment for them. If I remember correctly from the last thread over a year ago that the OP started, that was the situation.

Unless you provided the paramedics for clinicals, or EMS in Mexico has jumped by leaps in bounds the last couple years, your paramedic interns might be the most educated provider on the ambulance.

Exactly. It's the sink or swim method of education. I like it.

I sometimes ask myself, why I took elective French in High School. I also took ASL. But French? All I remember is a talking pineapple.

Edited by 4c6

I do not see any disadvantages to a provider being bilingual and could definitely see it as an asset. The english language is one of the most difficult to master and those that are willing to put forth the effort to speak effectively and are able to write a successful run sheet in english so it can be read by all, should not be barred from working EMS.

I agree, bilingual ability is nothing but an asset in today's civil service. I fully intend on taking a Medical Spanish course after medic school. If I had stayed in Denver, I would have taken one then out of necessity. And no one who can perform the duties of an EMT to the professional standard should be denied the opportunity.

Now considering the fact it is so difficult, and some of the questions are awkwardly worded on NREMT exam, I have no objection to them taking the written portion in their native language (be it spanish or anything else). I know at one point, one was able to request an oral exam (and I know other licensing boards still offer this option, but I'm unsure about NREMT)and know nothing about PA's options.

Any standardized written exam must have the option to be given orally according to the Americans with Disabilities Act, however, the person requesting such accommodations must meet certain requirements, namely, a documented learning disability that would affect their ability to complete a written exam. It does not (and should not) apply to test language though. While I understand where you are coming from when you mention the awkwardness of questions etc, I don't see this as a reason to offer the exam in anything other than English. The questions are written awkwardly by design and are testing not only the grasp of material, but the ability to understand what is written - terminology, wording, context - all of which will be encountered on a daily basis in the workplace.

Any standardized written exam must have the option to be given orally according to the Americans with Disabilities Act, however, the person requesting such accommodations must meet certain requirements, namely, a documented learning disability that would affect their ability to complete a written exam. It does not (and should not) apply to test language though. While I understand where you are coming from when you mention the awkwardness of questions etc, I don't see this as a reason to offer the exam in anything other than English. The questions are written awkwardly by design and are testing not only the grasp of material, but the ability to understand what is written - terminology, wording, context - all of which will be encountered on a daily basis in the workplace.

I disagree for the EMT-B test. Often the CNA requires more hours of training and in some states such as Florida there both a written and skills portion with both being offered in Spanish. The EMT-B is still a 110 hour tech cert in most of the U.S. It requires no college. If the person chooses to go past this cert and enter a college then they should meet the English language proficiency standards.

• Like 2

If you're seeking a professional certification or licensure in a country then you should be expected to speak the primary language. Even medical students at the schools in Puerto Rico take the USMLE in English even though their classes are split between English and Spanish and their primary patient population speaks Spanish. When you work in something like medicine, you need to be able to effectively communicate with the other professionals that you work with.

I forgot to mention that nurses from Puerto Rico who have taken their exams in Spanish are recognized in the U.S and do not have to take the NCLEX in English regardless of what language they speak when entering the U.S. And, there are services that assist Spanish speaking RNs in finding employment. The Federal government is of course one of the best places to look.

Does Puerto Rico have it's own nurse licensing exam? Puerto Rican medical schools are accredited by the same body, and considered the same, as a US medical school (in contrast to other Caribbean medical schools like Ross or St. George).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.