Non-english EMT test in USA?

tamaith

I have a question to everyone in pennsylvania. I heard a rumor at work that non enlgish speaking emt b students are allowed to take the exam in their native language. I have come across several emt b's that only know a handful of words in english. They will ask questions such as what is a blood pressure cuff? what is a pulse? which leads me to think that the rumor may be true. Does anyone know any truth to this horrific rumor? Thank you

Horrific rumor?

Didn't you have a thread last year about the Russians taking over the ambulances in PA and posed this same question?

Do they not know what the device is or are they just asking for the English term? There are many well educated medical professionals in the U.S. that are excellent clinicians but have not mastered the English language. There are some Americans whose native language is English but to listen to them or read what they have written, you would have your doubts. That also includes some that have managed to get through the U.S. school systems and even through EMT(P) school.

We do not have the test given in Spanish but there are EMT mills that can teach enough English to pass an EMT test. With a DL, one could very easily find work with some employers that cater to a specific community.

Edited by VentMedic

vent , i probably did post something last year. In my eyes they are asking what the equipment is and used for ( could be wrong). I highly believe they are smart individuals and will someday master the english language. I am just confused on how the passed esp the medical part of the state exam. I have seen some of them in action where no questions were asked on a medical call and no report giving to the receiving hosp staff. I am sure that there are some emt's that speak english do the same and i don't know how they got by either.

Que? Entiendo nada. Paramedicos no necesito inglish. pinche gringos. :spell:

Oh and no I have never heard of USA Paramedic exam being in any language but so called English.

Usted escribe en español horriblemente. Uso de la palabra ´pinche´ es de mal gusto.

Si fue otra persona, entonces ADMIN sacaba la palabra. Pero estoy divagando...

Maybe the south.. But Pennsylvania? How many places would require an employee who speaks absolutely no English? or.. how many places would hire one?

Plenty of people don't speak English here, and every where else in the country. I have had several patients with the language barrier. I would have loved a bi-lingual speaking provider with me.

It shouldn't matter what language they take the test in. It's the same test, different language. They have to pass the same standards as everyone else.

This being America, we should be more tolerant to this. Can we finally stop being racist? Yes, it is being racist to complain about someone not speaking "your language".

• Like 1

racist to complain? well you are entitled to your opinion. I was just asking about taking the test not dealing with pt's. i think everyone has had a pt that doesn't speak english ( in the usa). how would you communicate with your partner if you spoke different languages? let's say your partner was driving and since he or she can't read english doesn't know that at a stop sign you should stop and drives through and hits a car? or you ask your partner to get something for you or help you out but has no clue what you are talking about what do you do ( time is ticking)

Plenty of people don't speak English here, and every where else in the country. I have had several patients with the language barrier. I would have loved a bi-lingual speaking provider with me.

It shouldn't matter what language they take the test in. It's the same test, different language. They have to pass the same standards as everyone else.

This being America, we should be more tolerant to this. Can we finally stop being racist? Yes, it is being racist to complain about someone not speaking "your language".

So I should be able to go to France and complain when they expect me to speak French?

Mexico and Spanish?

China and Chinese?

The UK and what ever language they speak while claiming it to be "English?" :whistle:

If you're seeking a professional certification or licensure in a country then you should be expected to speak the primary language. Even medical students at the schools in Puerto Rico take the USMLE in English even though their classes are split between English and Spanish and their primary patient population speaks Spanish. When you work in something like medicine, you need to be able to effectively communicate with the other professionals that you work with.

So I should be able to go to France and complain when they expect me to speak French?

Mexico and Spanish?

China and Chinese?

The UK and what ever language they speak while claiming it to be "English?" :whistle:

If you're seeking a professional certification or licensure in a country then you should be expected to speak the primary language. Even medical students at the schools in Puerto Rico take the USMLE in English even though their classes are split between English and Spanish and their primary patient population speaks Spanish. When you work in something like medicine, you need to be able to effectively communicate with the other professionals that you work with.

No one said they didn't speak English. They just took the test in Spanish.

If you want to come to my country speak my lingo bro not hard eh if I go to yours, I would have to learn yours.

Y'know I'm not talking rolling up off the plane being fluent or nothing but at least know a bit of English eh?

We picked up an old Indian gent one night who had some nasty looking ST changes with chest pain, spoke no English whatsoever, boy that was tough coz his Son also spoke limited english .... turns out after we got him to ED I found a "non English emergency phrase book" on car, FML.

Wie schreibt Sie Englisch?

Comment-ce que vous avez saisi anglais ?

Hur du stava engelska?

¿Cómo deletrear inglés?

Как правописания английский?

어떻게 영어 철자 할?

Come digitati inglese?

All above ask the same question. Give them the test in their native language, but IMHO, they should all be able to speak the English language.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.