Non-english EMT test in USA?

tamaith

what if the driver and the pt speak the same language and the tech speaks another language?

You have a non-EMT driver and an EMT?

What's the probem? At least one person speaks the same language as the patient. Our interpreters do not hold medical degrees. You can still gather enough information and also provide interpretation assistance at the hospital until another interpreter can be contacted.

Was communication with people speaking other languages or other disabilities never mentioned in your EMT class or your ambulance service especially if it has patients speaking other languages?

Patients who speak other languages are also not stupid either. There are univeral signs for pain and hopefully bleeding and difficulty breathing will be apparent to you as an EMT.

Open your mind and you will be surprised at how well you can communicate with people regardless of language. You also do have a few skills to rely on. Is seems it is your attitude towards non-English speaking patients that is hindering your communication more than the language itself.

Edited by VentMedic

all i asked was if anyone in pa has heard of the state giving the test in other languages. but to answer your questions yes there are first responders who drive and emt's who tech. I have no problem with patients that speak other languages other than english. we were never taught in emt class about interpreters , and most of the companies around me don't discuss that with their employees. if the driver is a first responder it is not his/her job to assess the pt. he or she does not know the questions to ask or what to look for. here in pa the first responder pays a certain amount of money and then becomes a first responder, no class.

Plenty of people don't speak English here, and every where else in the country. I have had several patients with the language barrier. I would have loved a bi-lingual speaking provider with me.

It shouldn't matter what language they take the test in. It's the same test, different language. They have to pass the same standards as everyone else.

This being America, we should be more tolerant to this. Can we finally stop being racist? Yes, it is being racist to complain about someone not speaking "your language".

You're reading something that's not written. I said not one fucking thing racist; nothing about color, or abilities. Also, it doesn't say bilingual, it says an EMT that does not speak English. Yes, it would be helpful to have bilingual EMS personnel, with the influx of Mexican's with the gas drilling across Pennsylvania. How would you deploy an employee that doesn't speak one bit of English? You'd need to put a translator with them.

Edited by 4c6

You're reading something that's not written. I said not one fucking thing racist; nothing about color, or abilities. Also, it doesn't say bilingual, it says an EMT that does not speak English. Yes, it would be helpful to have bilingual EMS personnel, with the influx of Mexican's with the gas drilling across Pennsylvania. Unless you're sending 1 non English speaking, Spanish person out, with their own translator, to only handle calls for people who speak Spanish, I could see where a problem would arise.

Only the first part of that post was to you.

You're reading something that's not written. I said not one fucking thing racist; nothing about color, or abilities. Also, it doesn't say bilingual, it says an EMT that does not speak English. Yes, it would be helpful to have bilingual EMS personnel, with the influx of Mexican's with the gas drilling across Pennsylvania. How would you deploy an employee that doesn't speak one bit of English? You'd need to put a translator with them.

Considering some of the comments made in this thread, the racist issue is not far off. People, both patients and providers, who speak another language are not unintelligent as the OP has been using such statements. You just got caught in the crossfire.

We are also talking about the EMT-B in this thread and as it is presented, one provider speaks English and one provider does not. Where do you see an issue with that to use the F word toward another forum member who did have a valid post?

Edited by VentMedic
  • Like 2

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.