How Many EMT's does your department have

lyndonff

Volunteer Squad here.

1 12hr shift a week. 1 24hr shift a month. 1 48hr shift a year

2 rigs. 24/7 staffed. State requierment to dispatch is one EMT-B in the back at all times (ALS is hospital based and meets with us in route with a chase vehicle). Driver can be a FF or EMT. Our normal crew is 3 members sometimes 4

We have 20 members full time (all basics). 4 secondary responders(not on a "shift" but available). and 2 Jr members (kids in high school below the age of 18 can only do 4rs during the week and 12 or less on weekends)

Some of us do pull extra shifts on occasion if someone is sick or can't cover their time. If you can't cover your shift you have to find a replacment.

Edited by UGLyEMT

We have EMT's coming out of the woodwork. The real question is, how many do you actually see. The answer is, not nearly enough. I'll decline to provide actual numbers, because what works for me, may not work for someone else. Bluntly; I'm not interested in anyone telling me why it wouldn't work for them.

I will just use reference to my EMS station, but there's a bunch more stations around NYC to consider into any equation here.

We run 2 person crews on each ambulance per 8 hour tour, with another crew member per tour on days off. That is 9 persons assigned per each ambulance. Make that 36 total EMTs at my station, for the 4 BLS ambulances, with an additional 9 for the Paramedic ALS ambulance, and 9 specially trained Paramedics for the Haz-Tac ALS ambulance. Currently, we have no BLS or ALS "Rescue" ambulances assigned, but one can be relocated from other stations as the need arises.

Seasonally, we'll add an additional BLS ambulance, crewed by either assigned or voluntary overtime personnel, but this unit is usually only 2 tours, day and evening. If we have an expected severe weather condition, like a blizzard, or hurricane, using involuntary overtime personnel, we'll activate an additional BLS ambulance.

The station has 1 Captain, who varies which tour (s)he works each month, to interact with all personnel assigned the station. We have 6 lieutenants minimum assigned the "Conditions" car, with one Lt. in the vehicle and the other at the station per tour, or a single Lt., splitting their time between field supervision and office duties. They also run 8 hour tours.

Just as a reference, and usually not under direct NYC 9-1-1 control, we have 1 volunteer ambulance corps available part time, with a potential of 2 additional BLS ambulances,3 Hatzoloh Chevra Volunteer ambulances (religious ambulances, google them for better details), and 3 of the 4 volunteer fire departments within the Station's normal Primary Area of Response have a total of 6 additional ambulances. Due to needs within the communities, 4 of the 6 are 4 wheel drive, for driving through unpaved sand beaches.

Edited by Richard B the EMT

• 3 weeks later...

We have about 25 active volunteer EMTs... But we also have about 10 paid medics. So we always have 1 ALS and 1 BLS truck marked up. Small county lol

• 3 months later...

Ok, I am on 2 different services but here is what we have for my primary service,

1-24/7 staffed paramedic rig

1-24/7 on call rig

8-paramedics

4-Basic IV Techs

6-casual staff (all but one are Basics)

The other service I dont have a roster for right in front of me so I am not 100% sure as to exactly what we have there.

from the 2010 annual report

500 community officers (EMTB)

461 First responders

2126 Paramedics

416 IC Paramedics

240 ambulance stations

450+ vehicles

5 helicopters

4 fixed wing aircraft

approx 760 000 "emergency" incidents responded to (ground and air)

approx 250 000 non emergency patient transports

10,000,000+ kilometers driven

5.5 million people in 227 000 square kilometers of land

Edited by BushyFromOz

• 2 months later...

from the 2010 annual report

500 community officers (EMTB)

461 First responders

2126 Paramedics

416 IC Paramedics

240 ambulance stations

450+ vehicles

5 helicopters

4 fixed wing aircraft

approx 760 000 "emergency" incidents responded to (ground and air)

approx 250 000 non emergency patient transports

10,000,000+ kilometers driven

5.5 million people in 227 000 square kilometers of land

wow bushy you must see some terrible sights,,,,,,,

• 2 weeks later...

3,000 ambos or there abouts; 2,000 volunteer and 1,000 paid; about 600 vehicles and 150 ambulance stations which in 2010-2011 did 357,000 jobs and transported 330,000 of them

We have two prime levels (Paramedic and Intensive Care Paramedic) with the volunteers (and a few paid) being at the Emergency Medical Technician level

I just looked up FDNY EMS Command. We run 212 ALS and 402 BLS units. Divvy that up by 3 tours, 2 personnel on each ambulance per tour, with one on Days Off per tour per ambulance...Well, you do the math.

Of course, we are talking a city with a population of 8,000,000 residents, and about another 2 million transient each 24 hour period (airports, roadways, day trippers and overnight guests).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.