Evolution

Tibby

Do you believe in Evolution?  

77 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

So what separates all the faiths in this world is the fact that there are many who believe that Jesus Christ is the son of God...and that is why there is so many religious wars going on.

For some reason after reading that a scene from a Simpson's episode popped into my head...

Homer: Are you sure you don't want to come to our Civil War reenactment? We need plenty of Indians to shoot.

Apu: I do not know which part of that statement to correct first.

I'll comment later...

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True Co, there are atheist out there..I guess I never considered them as a religion ...but what ever you practice is your religion.

And as far as those who have many gods they worship....Its still a god to them. But what I was saying is....every faith at some point believes in a God. A god of reincarnation...a god who brings the day and a god that brings the night or whatever. Even a God who created revolution. There are native Americans that believe in many Gods. There are a lot of religions that only practice the old testament..and do not believe in the new testament.

But never the less they all believe in a God... Except Atheists....who I believe ...believe in something. I was just saying that I think the Jesus Christ factor separates religions. And it does create wars...Like Israel is having a religious war and have been for century's....The whole crap in Iraq started over a holy war...because of differences in the worlds faith system.

Since everyone has turned this into a religious debate, rather than focusing on the real question at hand, which was evolution and exploring the different scientific theories and facts regarding it's existence, I will jump in on the religion debate.

When the Bible was written, the earth was considered flat and there was no such thing as scientific theory and fact as we know it today. The Bible is written so figurative, yet people today take everything so literally. I love the people who say dinosaurs didn't exist because they weren't mentioned in the Bible. This is because of the 'teaching' that Christians should believe in the Bible and nothing else. The Bible was written by man. It isn't to say that these things didn't happen for the most part, but simply that you can't take it word for word literally.

Another reason the Bible is flawed is the fact that over 30 years of Jesus' life is excluded from the Bible. What was he doing during those years? I am not saying any of this to discount who Jesus was, but I simply choose not to put ALL of my faith in the writings by man who managed to lose 30 years worth of writing from who is supposed to be the #1 man in the Bible.

Another thing I can't believe is those who claim to be Christians and yet have never bothered to read the Qur'an (or any other religious teachings for that matter), a book which starts its account of Jesus' life with the birth of Mary. Now I ask all Christians: If you love Jesus, why haven't you tried to explore his life more?

The basic difference between all religions is Dogma and Doctrine. here are some definitions in case you don't know the difference ::

Dogma - specific tenets of a religious sect. Adherents are obligated to accept these things as creed to receive grace.

Doctrines - Religous convictions (taught as facts) to which adherents are expected to pledge allegience.

So, I am not even going to get into my own beliefs, but I will say that I think almost everyone on this thread needs to open their minds a little more to other religions and get to know them considering half of everyone I've seen on here cannot defend their own religion as well as recognize it's flaws. In my opinion if you aren't #1::Educated on all world religions or #2::Cannot see that your own religion has it's flaws then you are preaching nothing more than pure ignorance.

I believe that until you can list the basic dogma and doctrine of most of the world's religions, you have absolutely no right to tell others they are wrong for not believing what you believe.

But, for the record, I also believe in micro evolution, not macro evolution.

What was he doing during those years?

Ooooooohhhhh, I expect chillin', maybe a lil' bit of illin'. A little carpentry for some cash (man has to make a living right?).

After I read UMassEMS18's post today I thought of a classic argument that I remembered from a first year philosophy class in university. I couldn't remember it, but the magic of google put me in the right direction...

Pascal's Wager.

1. One does not know whether God exists.

2. Not believing in God is bad for one's eternal soul if God does exist.

3. Believing in God is of no consequence if God does not exist.

4. Therefore it is in one's interest to believe in God.

The reason Pascal’s wager does not work is the same reason why you should never plan your retirement on winning the lotto.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/pascal_w.htm

Now this is one person's (or maybe a few, I dunno) comments on this argument.

Read it, it'll take ya 10 minutes.

Weaknesses #2 -- Which God must we believe in?

Pascal apparently assumed that one either believes in God or one didn't. But the situation is more complex that than. Consider both Christianity and Islam:

- The Christian Scriptures, in John 3:16 to 18 states: "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God." This implies that anyone who does not believe in Jesus Christ will be condemned. Since the Christian Scriptures only talk about two eventual resting places after death -- Heaven and Hell, one might conclude that anyone who does not believe in Jesus and the Trinity will spend eternity in Hell.

- The Qur'an is the Holy Book of Islam.

- Sura 69:15-18: "On that Day shall the (Great) Event come to pass. And the sky will be rent asunder, for it will that Day be flimsy. And the angels will be on its sides, and eight will, that Day, bear the Throne of thy Lord above them. That Day shall ye be brought to Judgment: not an act of yours that ye hide will be hidden.

- Sura 69:30 -33: "(The stern command will say) "Seize ye him, and bind ye him. And burn ye him in the Blazing Fire. Further, make him march in a chain, whereof the length is seventy cubits! This was he that would not believe in Allah Most High."

Now, if one interprets these passages literally, then:

- Christians generally believe in the Trinity of God the Father, Jesus the Son and the Holy Spirit. But if Christianity is wrong, and Islam is correct, then Allah will punish the Christian believer with horrendous tortures.

- Meanwhile, Muslims believe in the single, indivisible deity Allah, who is very different from the Christian Trinity. If Islam is wrong, and Christianity is correct, then the Christian God will torture all Muslims for eternity without any hope of mercy or a cessation of their pain.

"This is often described as the 'avoiding the wrong hell' problem." 3

Actually, the problem is even more complex than is indicated above. There have been countless deities among the tens of thousands of religions in which people believe or have believed. The Fararrs have written a pair of books that list 1,000 Gods and 1,000 Goddesses. 8 Many of these Gods and Goddess are jealous deities who demand worship from their followers and who punish those who do not believe in them. The probability of choosing the right God or Goddess is chancy at best.

Portions of the above were taken from the site referenced. All credit to the author.

But never the less they all believe in a God... Except Atheists....who I believe ...believe in something.

I think even the most staunch atheist, when it comes right, right down to it have to concede that there very well could be a higher power who created the universe. You can't deny the existence of something that cannot be shown to exist.

Ok for the record...

I'm just saying there is a difference...and neither one in my opinion is right or wrong...Yes man wrote the bible and man came up with the concept of evolution. It really doesn't matter. Its just the differences and neither one can without a shadow of doubt...be completely proven. And a person doesn't have to read the Qur'a before they can completely love Jesus.

It also DOESN'T mean that anyone here who has posted comments on this thread is ignorant by any means and has no right to say anything about the subject without reading this book or that book...or have a collage degree in the subject...and no one here is any better then the other to even say that another person is ignorant for what they post here.

And I also would like to say that whatever you post here or your attitude that you bring across in your posts...weather good or bad....You are still my friends with different opinions and that is what makes the world go around.

I think what separates the world faiths is that...ok everyone believes in a God...that there is a higher power out there and everyone seems to agree on that, thus if they took Jesus Christ out of the picture there would probably be a world piece.

So what separates all the faiths in this world is the fact that there are many who believe that Jesus Christ is the son of God...and that is why there is so many religious wars going on. Civil and world and it will never end until the end of time.

And a person doesn't have to read the Qur'a before they can completely love Jesus.

My emphasis.

Duh...haven't you been reading the posts?

I have. I have re-read this thread in its entirety several times.

Now maybe it is just me, but it appears that you are inferring that Jesus exists in all religions. Based on your previous arguements I assume you mean the literal, not figurative, person, but really it doesn't matter. If I am the only one seeing that, then hey, I appologise.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.