Evolution

Tibby

Do you believe in Evolution?  

77 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

SA_Medic, Rid, and CHP, it is just a fun debate. Why are you guys getting so worked up over it? So far, even the argueing has remanded relatively civil, no name calling, just the facts. This has been a peaceful, fun debate. If someone doesn't want to debate, they do not have to reply. Just relax, have faith that the good people of EMTCity are mature enough to disagree without being mean about it.

Exactly.

What gets me snarling during the evolution debate isn't so much the ones who believe that there was something more than random chance involved, but those who try and discredit years of scientific research with half-assed, misleading pseudoscientific falsehoods to try and lead the less educated down the wrong path. If you so strongly believe in creationism, you shouldn't have to lie so much to convince others.

Personally I think the fact that evolution happened reinforces the miracle of life and gives me a stronger hope that there is something more than what we see here on earth, but then, I suppose the ones in Kansas trying to slap warning labels on biology text books have their merits too. No wait, they're a bunch of illiterate morons.

Well said.

If you want to believe that you came from a monkey...so be it.

Ummmmm re-READ some of my posts. Look at some Hominidae phylogenys...

uh oh Im in a tree...does that mean my ancestors were monkey's?

I don't even know what to say...

I think that this debate is great. Medicine is an academic field. Disagreement is at the core of academia.

Having faith/religion is great, a fundamental characteristic of "being human". Personally I am not a very religious person, I read books on religion though and appriciate what we as a species (and perhaps other species) have created.

Like I have said, I do hope that that higher being rolls up in a 5.0 on my death and shows me the error in my ways...That would be awesome...But I doubt it is happening. The evidence just isn't there. Higher beings are a creation of the human mind, maybe more species too, who know's.

I ask the ever increasing number of people who are submitting to not accepting the theory of evolution poll to at least give evidence for your stance. Beyond the "I believe" argument....

i believe in god and all this but what if Evolution but god made it so?

like he set the world up so that it would start Evolution

Again it is based on faith, cannot be tested. Again, the universe is created and destroyed every nanosecond....We live in the Matrix....Sure, but we have no way to test it.

The world we live in? Or all worlds, every planet in the universe, likely billions and billions...Why would an omnipotent, omniscience, omnipresent higher being care about us? Again we are imposing human emotion, human thought processes on this higher being. "God" or the higher being if it does indeed exist, at least give me that it isn't a human.

My $17.50

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cause like others feel, it probably turn ugly.. & also it has been beaten to death.. We now know if you do or not.. as the question was asked. Now, we are getting into theoligical debates, as far as I know, no theologist or true scientist are here to debate, accurately, scientifically. The debate so far has been on qualatative findings. In my opinions are like anuses every has one (or should have at least).

Some things like politics & religion, are usually never or ahould be discussed at the station house.

Be safe,

Ridryder 911

Cause like others feel, it probably turn ugly.. & also it has been beaten to death.. We now know if you do or not.. as the question was asked. Now, we are getting into theoligical debates, as far as I know, no theologist or true scientist are here to debate, accurately, scientifically.

So, now we have to be experts on the Field to hold a view on a topic and to defend that topic?

The debate so far has been on qualatative findings. In my opinions are like anuses every has one (or should have at least).

Some things like politics & religion, are usually never or ahould be discussed at the station house.

This isn't a small, 1-3 room station. If someone feels uncomfortable discussing a topic, then they have to option of not reading the post, or not posting the topic.

As I was looking for that cartoon with the guy writing on the chalk board with the "A miracle happens here....", I came across this...

http://brentrasmussen.com/log/node/79

A good short read. Give's some perspective to all of us. We can't contemplate vast time....

EDIT - That is one of the best, short, plain english articles of evolutionary theory I have read. Very well done, and kudos to the author.

Very interesting find, Vs. I specially like his closing:

The emotional objections likely revolve around two concerns: 1) The idea of being 'just an animal' or 'coming from slime and rocks' and 2) worry that science undercuts religious faith.

It's true science can undercut some tenets of faith. If the idea of a flat-earth or the Sun-god is a part of that faith then you either ignore the science and live in willfull ignorance-at least in regard to that conflict-and trust to faith, or you adjust your theology. Those really are your only two choices as far as I can see.

What your objection more than likely reveals is that you don't like the idea of being the product of 'random' physics and biochemistry, that you feel there is no room for a Creator in such a scenario. I cannot imagine greater natural evidence for the Brilliance of a Creator than complex process unfolding over billions of years through countless steps in exquisite order spanning the entire Cosmos. The technical skill and artistic vision of such is to be admired in awe, and in that context evolution should be worthy of your devotion, not your disdain.

Just a monkey? Just slime? Just a rock? ... You speak of these things with latent fear disguised as contempt. But a Creator is not limited to our prejudicial desires about how Creation must unfold. If I were religious, I would teach my fellows to feel honored at being descended from a long line of God's wondrous creations and for sharing the amazingly complex biochemical processes those ancestral benefactors endowed us with. If I were a Sunday School Teacher I'd tell my young students that through the wisdom and creative genius of the Lord we can include Cheetahs and Peregrine Falcons in our extended family; I think they'd eat that up!

And I'd praise our evolutionary lineage and thank our Linnean cousins from the primates to the microbes and, yes, all they way back to the comets and the 'rocks'. For through them God bequethed unto us the finest instrument and possession you and I will ever own: Our bodies and our intellect.

I know of the cartoon you are talking about. Great cartoon.

WHATEVER

:roll:

Good rebuttal.

EDIT - I refuse to let this thread die without at least some pseudo-coherent arguments for the creationism/against evolution side. This isn't being arrogant or insulting or anything. Don't take it as such. Just asking for your opinion regarding why you believe what you believe. "Believe" is the key word here. Many others, including myself have given reasons for our argument, state yours.

I believe to have a real good debate, you should at least be educated & have knowledge in the subject to debate the topic. In which I have not seen one post to show or demonstrate to me this of yet. Again, I see rhetoric ataganizing prompts, and appearantly a fixation of this topic.

Peace,

Ridryder 911

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.