T-minus 9 days for Alberta "take over"

As for copying the BC model, there are still 6 health regions that are each responsible for their own operations, so there won't be a common link across the Province. This is supposed to allow for each region to accomodate for their unique needs. Or so they have said.

Don't let them fool you. BCAS has multiple regions aswell. The multiple regions do nothing to prevent cars from one region being called in to cover areas and do calls outside of their region (this is a common occurence at stations in the "borderlands"). I work in what's known as region 3 for example. I've done calls and shifts in other regions as operationally required with no real regard for the fact that it is not my region. Don't let them sugarcoat it for you. Hold their feet to the fire in every way possible.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't let them fool you. BCAS has multiple regions aswell. The multiple regions do nothing to prevent cars from one region being called in to cover areas and do calls outside of their region (this is a common occurence at stations in the "borderlands"). I work in what's known as region 3 for example. I've done calls and shifts in other regions as operationally required with no real regard for the fact that it is not my region. Don't let them sugarcoat it for you. Hold their feet to the fire in every way possible.

There's no fooling, BC is an absolute Provincial model. Here, each health region will be responsible for determining how they want to deliver service and by whom. There will be 'inter-regional' cooperation but the boundaries of each region is (will be) pretty specific. As Stated before, there are still different service providers, not everyone is employed by the Province.

There's no fooling, BC is an absolute Provincial model. Here, each health region will be responsible for determining how they want to deliver service and by whom. There will be 'inter-regional' cooperation but the boundaries of each region is (will be) pretty specific. As Stated before, there are still different service providers, not everyone is employed by the Province.

That sounds more like the hospital health authorities used here in BC. Each hospital region functions independantly with patients only being transferred between health authorities when the services a pariticular patient require are unavailable within the region they reside. The upcoming changes in Alta. seem to be somewhat of a blend using bits from the provincial model and bits from the Ontario model. All in all anything that improves patient care and medic working conditions is a good thing. Whether or not the changes being made in Alta. provide either remains to be seen. At this point it's my hope that they do and my suspicion that they won't. Maybe working in BC has made me a little bitter when it comes to government oversight of emergency health services.

Edited by rock_shoes

That is actually how they were trying to sell the idea. Their proposal was that they were going to increase the ALS coverage, especially in the rural areas. The problem is where are you going to find the Paramedics to do it?.

Well .... I can think of a couple, thats if the salary and hours were similar unfortunately they are not, (ie no solidarity in labour representation the biggest hurdle) the call volume in most cases rural is lower so spending core hours in a ER would be a plus for some and a very negative for others. (especially if your working 4 x 24). Where and who would become supervisory then >RNs ?

I believe this is the situation for Paramedics in ERs in the EDM area hospitals and one of the major reasons I could not bother to shoot my CV in for review (besides HR would not answer MY pre screening questions) ok conceptually a positive idea, in reality just a trial at a quick fix. Have not talked with any Paramedics working in the HALLS lately ... so maybe just a bit premature in my opinion.

One situation is being addressed correctly "in my opinion" but but it is not by AH or EMS. That is funding the upgrade in communication systems on a provincial level (The old concept, You cant shoot if you can't communicate) Thing is this will be at least 2 years down the road soo build a systen fully knowing all communications will have to be replaced ? IMHO just wasteful. This change out of dispatch from around 39 centers to 3 so rapidly is going to be a very, very bumpy road, is bigger better ? Just who did they (AH) get to consult ... just alberta medics ? ... we SO have to reinvent the wheel every day ... I will never understand this.

Talking with one of my siblings (who is in big buisness) well simply stated with so many changes and introducing even more levels of middle management "ie administrators" to oversee and impliment, the suggestion that operating any "big buisness" in this way, the operation would be broke in the first quarter.

cheers tick tick tick.

it really shall be interesting to see how many medics/emt's leave. and what about emr's? havent heard about any positions for them....

well, here we are, 1 day away. looks like gag orders are NOT A MYTH. i will be signing one shortly. or i will lose my job.

epcr's coming in too. not sure how i feel about those... i just know so many people that hate them passionately.... but i am a geek, and like computers :)

and thanks for the midaz squinty-boy..... i was pissed when i heard about the raise the board gave themselves... however there are companies being taken over because their staff "is overpaid".....

frig.

Ahem ... squint Man if you dont mind .. LOL.

I have heard roumer that CUPE has been absolved as of April 1st too? WTF ? Where did the peoples legal rights to organize go ... ????

Its very unfortunate that we do NOT have an effective opposition in the Legislature ... argh !

And a GAG ORDER ? ...... what and why ..... Thing is this if ALL emplyees protest ... honestly there is power in Numbers, what do they (whoever they are) going to do .

Now just for fun 'write' [signature] in brackets on a document is a sneaky trick as from what I understand the [..] brackets indicate exception in any document ... any legal advice out there ?

gasp.

And a GAG ORDER ? ...... what and why ..... Thing is this if ALL emplyees protest ... honestly there is power in Numbers,

That would mean organizing in an association type-manner.

Individually though, it seems we have too much pride for that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.