T-minus 9 days for Alberta "take over"

well, finding people may not be so hard.... supposedly (according to AHS) they have apx 1000 ACParamedics ready and waiting to take our positions if we dont transfer over... the majority from ontario. with legislation signed earlier this year, allowing out-of-province practitioners to come without getting ACoP testing/registration.... this whole transition just keeps getting more n more murky, muddy, and unclear

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1- Where are they going to find all these dual trained FF/Paramedics and I believe EDM and FMM is hiring too, which ups the numbers ... I dont think anyone in AHC has done the math ... HellsBells made a terrific point.

I agree, you have to steal from Peter to pay Paul. There is and only will be a net deficit of practitioners. Specifically that you can only be employed with one title within AHS. Can't work full time in Edmonton and casual in Parkland. Can't work prehospital and for CHEMS. I can however work casual there and full time here. Hmmm!

2- If they do find enough Paramedics it will be at a sacrifice from the "RURAL" areas hence decreasing the level of care to other important Albertans where ALS is making a bigger difference in positive outcomes.

(hey everyone wants greener pastures, cant blame them really)

I agree here too. They will find themselves in a whole world of hurt I think, they are aware of the shortage.

3-And really no clear answer from Liepert on exactly HOW paramedics can improve scope and provide care for the community ... find a open clinic on a saterday night ... in Edson or High Level ?

That will be defined in the future. Who says the clinic would need to see the patient that day? There is a lot of potential being looked at for modifying and expanding the EMT and Paramedic scopes of practice. You will probably eventually see Physician Assistant become a reality as well, coming from the Paramedic pool (adding to the existing shortage).

I will admit, over time I think there will be huge potential to what we as EMS providers will be able to do. In hospital, out of hospital, critical care, urgent care, community care, etc. Keep in mind, I do say this knowing full well what the future is looking like and the cold reception coming from AHS.

well, finding people may not be so hard.... supposedly (according to AHS) they have apx 1000 ACParamedics ready and waiting to take our positions if we dont transfer over... the majority from ontario. with legislation signed earlier this year, allowing out-of-province practitioners to come without getting ACoP testing/registration.... this whole transition just keeps getting more n more murky, muddy, and unclear

No, the agreement on internal trade (AIT) would still require for provincial registration and testing, it makes only it easier to transfer your education. Remember that this was supposed to be for trade unions, but EMS ended up getting included.

If that is what AHS is saying, 1000 ready to move here, I'd push all of my chips forward and call, 'I'm all in.' Logistically improbable, if not impossible. Because we already know BC and Ontario have an overabundance of ACP's or Paramedics. Sounds to me like a good bargaining position when their threat falls through. Say to their face 'good luck with that.'

1000 ACP's would probably be most of the ACP's in all of Ontario. There is a country wide shortage of ALS and getting worse by the day. Obviously Liepart hasn't read the document from Dalhousie on the national shortage of ACP's and retention. We are not even training enough right now to meet retirement attrition as it is. If things get bad enough in AB I think she's forgeting that AIT is also a 2 way street. In all practical sense, there is never a big movement of EMS providers across the country. Most people tend to stick around in the general geographic area where they are established.

Does anyone have a link to this 1000 medic statement?

There is soooo much 3rd party jibberish going on right now I don't believe anything till I hear it from the horses mouth (or is that the other end?)

It is going to be awesome when Ab loses 50% of it's medics to other provinces and careers once they realize they are underpaid and underapreciated compared to other places.

That mean your moving back here Mobey?

So what does this all mean for me as a jobless ACP who may be looking at a province such as yours to find one? Is this situation to MY benefit or is this a situation where I should wait for the dust to settle?

Well if we had ANY info on what is coming I would give you an opinion.

There are about 75 + openings for ACP right now though.... but most are integraded. Not forever, but for a while.

If that is what AHS is saying, 1000 ready to move here, I'd push all of my chips forward and call, 'I'm all in.' Logistically improbable, if not impossible. Because we already know BC and Ontario have an overabundance of ACP's or Paramedics. Sounds to me like a good bargaining position when their threat falls through. Say to their face 'good luck with that.'

no i do not have a link, wish i did. i feel that AHS is really just bullying... not giving enough information to confirm what has been said offhand. sucks, and i do not want to get caught up in the 3rd party information.... but its difficult with the lack of actual truths coming down the line. hence my "supposedly" remark.

i understand that as of april first, we are to get alot more information, however, do we want to wait for cinch, or beat the lynch? as far as things have gone thus far, i have no faith in a) the rumour mill *i've been a firm beleiver in the wait and see, no point is speculating* and B) that AHS will continue to be as tight lipped as possible.

as of today, right now, with the *minimal* information out, i'm all in. push me, see how far i push back. i may be one person, but i am strong. and with others who are upset with the strong-arm of the province denying us our democratic vote for a union to represent us (which is the whole point of union, do NOT forget) we can be stronger.

I personally do not beleive that there is any way that AHS can pull together 1000 ACP's to come to Alberta. Again it comes to strong-arm verbal tactics. If you have any information, positive or negative, that you would like to be made known, I have a friend outside the industry who is biting at the bit for confimred info to take to the press. This is tactics such as:

1. not allowing us to vote for our own representation

2. strong arm tactics (ie. gag-orders *non-confirmed*; contracts to be signed or you lose seniority and have to re-apply if you wish to have a job

3. short-notice takeovers as seen with Medicare and IHAS.

I do not wish anyone to jeopordize their jobs, positions, voices. But if you feel strongly enough, send me information by PM only. I do no ask anyone to go outside any confidential information.

this all comes down to our voices being removed. I strongly feel that we are purposely being left in the dark until contracts are signed by those above us and there is nothing left to do, and then all we can do is swallow the refuse and try to continue.

you may feel small, insignificant. then think of how it feels to have a mosquito in your room. suddenly, your little buzz is much larger.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.