T-minus 9 days for Alberta "take over"

Well this just in:

The Alberta Budget announcements ...

So Stelmach stands up in the Legislature today and announcing deficient financing, so just what were the first areas hinted at cutting funding ?

YUP Health Care cutbacks, i.e. layoffs with RNs, MDs and in Teacher's ... who cares about the future of Education anyway in the province.

The exact same methodology used by King Ralph last go around, we have never caught up after that little "restructuring" event.

So back on topic ... NOW just where do you believe Ambulance Drivers will fit into the this new big picture book now?

Time to vote the Conservatives out of office as they are single handily eroding what Alberta/ Canada was renown for on a world wide basis ... that being good cost effective health care .... for all.

good grief, +++ N + V !

Edited by tniuqs

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Province allocates AHS $550 million funding increase

Date: April 07, 2009

EDMONTON, AB - Today's provincial budget allocated Alberta Health Services a $550 million funding increase for the 2009/10 fiscal year. This includes a general base operating increase of six per cent plus an additional increase of $122 million as a result of taking over responsibility for ground emergency medical services, for a total 7.7 per cent operating increase.

Total operating funding for Alberta Health Services will be approximately $7.7 billion for the current fiscal year (April 1, 2009 to March 31, 2010).

AHS is now awaiting a comprehensive budget briefing from the Department of Health and Wellness and will then assess the budget and consider its implications in detail before commenting further.

Following this briefing, Alberta Health Services' 2009/10 proposed allocated budget will be reviewed by the Board's Audit and Finance Committee and at board meetings in Grande Prairie on May 28, 2009.

At its March 25th meeting, the AHS Board approved an interim expenditure plan allowing AHS to spend for the next three months (April - June) at the same rate as the last three months of fiscal 2008/09 (January - March).

"It's important that AHS deliver on our commitments and this interim expenditure plan allows us to do just that as we work through the process of determining how today's provincial funding announcement will be allocated throughout the organization," said Dr. Stephen Duckett, President and Chief Executive Officer.

"Over the last five years, health care spending in Alberta has increased by an average of 10 per cent annually. Today's announcement underscores the fact that we can't afford to pretend it's going to be business as usual," said Dr. Duckett. "We have a responsibility to manage within our resources by developing a financial plan that balances increased demand for patient care with available resources allocated by government. It's up to us to make the choices and set the priorities for our spending."

Alberta Health Services is the provincial health authority responsible for planning and delivering health supports and services for more than 3.5 million adults and children living in Alberta. Its mission is to provide a patient-focused health system that is accessible and sustainable for all Albertans.

Province allocates AHS $550 million funding increase

Date: April 07, 2009

<snip>

AHS is now awaiting a comprehensive budget briefing from the Department of Health and Wellness and will then assess the budget and consider its implications in detail before commenting further.

Following this briefing, Alberta Health Services' 2009/10 proposed allocated budget will be reviewed by the Board's Audit and Finance Committee and at board meetings in Grande Prairie on May 28, 2009.

At its March 25th meeting, the AHS Board approved an interim expenditure plan allowing AHS to spend for the next three months (April - June) at the same rate as the last three months of fiscal 2008/09 (January - March).

"It's important that AHS deliver on our commitments and this interim expenditure plan allows us to do just that as we work through the process of determining how today's provincial funding announcement will be allocated throughout the organization," said Dr. Stephen Duckett, President and Chief Executive Officer.

"Over the last five years, health care spending in Alberta has increased by an average of 10 per cent annually. Today's announcement underscores the fact that we can't afford to pretend it's going to be business as usual," said Dr. Duckett. "We have a responsibility to manage within our resources by developing a financial plan that balances increased demand for patient care with available resources allocated by government. It's up to us to make the choices and set the priorities for our spending."

I have bolded the Operative "qualifying" statements by Dr. Duckett just for emphasis ... I believe this is a tad of forshadowing, and remember that just a couple of weeks ago the superboard was given a 20 to 25 % raise.

Read between the lines on the above statements

So could Stelmach be hinting at something or just talking out of the both side's of his mouth ?

Oh yes he is, and threatning again we lowly health care workers to forget any kind of increase in wages, but get ready to pay more taxes ... just saying.

Check out this link if you like believing all the news papers.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/edmonton/story/20...et.html?ref=rss

People who receive benefits under the province's Assured Income for the Severely Handicapped (AISH) will see an increase of $100 a month, from $1088 to $1188. Seniors' provincial benefits will also increase, $40 a month for single people and $60 for couples.

This is an excerpt from the link OMG liking winning 6/49 ... sheesh this is a freaking joke, then compare it to the anouncements in new increased tax catagory, the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

From a Historical perspective ... one has to reflect back on the last Conservative Govermnent's proclamation that it would be illegal to run a deficit budget, was that absolved and I missed that news release ?

This link is a bit more indepth, I will bet you my bottom dollar things will change in the next 3 months for AHS and delivery of the new "improved" delivery of Pre Hospital Care in the province.

If I am wrong ... I will eat my ACoP card !

cheers

Stelmach only budgeted an additional 122 million to cover the cost of taking over ground EMS services? What universe does he come from? It's going to cost more than that just to give us a decent raise in BC. Maybe Stelmach will put a more realistic price tag on things when he's the one having a coronary and all he gets is nitro, ASA, and Entonox, because ALS is unavailable. Forget a 12 lead, conversion of arrythmia's, proper pain management, pacing if neccessary, or a STEMI protocol direct to cath-lab.

Stelmach only budgeted an additional 122 million to cover the cost of taking over ground EMS services? What universe does he come from? It's going to cost more than that just to give us a decent raise in BC. Maybe Stelmach will put a more realistic price tag on things when he's the one having a coronary and all he gets is nitro, ASA, and Entonox, because ALS is unavailable. Forget a 12 lead, conversion of arrythmia's, proper pain management, pacing if neccessary, or a STEMI protocol direct to cath-lab.

Well then, let's hope he's having an RVI over there instead of Edmonton.

(Many of you understand why).

Edmonton EMS employees got a $5 Tim Horton's gift card ... Calgary EMS got tins of cookies ... the superboard got a nice huge raise. I was so insulted by my "gift" that I gave it away. Don't patronize myself and my co-workers telling us how "special" we are by some freaking cup of coffee.

Why can't some of that huge raise go towards front line staff instead of people getting fatter sitting behind a desk, making decisions that will ultimately affect THEIR care as well? Oh, but of course ... seeing as how this is a jump towards privatization, THEY'LL be able to afford it. Sadly, still no ALS as if the province freezes the wages of EMT's, nobody will be able to afford inflation AND school. Medics will be leaving the profession or retiring (although no supplemental pension anymore because a few idiots think that HSAA is where it's at for EMT's and paramedics, instead of letting in a 5th bargaining unit or allowing people to stay with CUPE and 'growing' that union). I guess "representation by the people for the people" is out of the question in Alberta.

Talk about regression! Yeesh ... get used to the 'EMS dark ages' people. Or should we call it "Goudreau-ism", where only the rich survive?

Edited by Siffiliss

Well then, let's hope he's having an RVI over there instead of Edmonton.

(Many of you understand why).

The shot is completely unnecessary. If you've read my other posts you know that I'm a strong advocate for improved ALS coverage everywhere including my home province of BC (which I freely admit has atrocious ALS coverage). As things currently stand Alberta has far better ALS coverage than BC. I would hate to see the citizens of Alberta lose what they currently have due to the short-sightedness of a few. I'm not sure what you're experience is with EMS budgets but I can tell you this. 122 million is a woefully inadequate sum to provide ground EMS to an entire province.

Edited by rock_shoes

I got a 10 dollar tims gift card :P woohoo i'm special'r!

But on a side note, it'll be a dollar an hour increase in my wage as it stands once we go to HSAA contact. For now we're with our old contract and going to bargan a new one and try and take our good things of our old contract (like higher amount of sick and vacation time) and play them into our contract talks, if and when they come around. And there seems to be a lot less STAT days in the old PCH contract then our current contract. And only 1.5 time for STAT days rather then our current double time :( (at least OT is still double)

The shot is completely unnecessary. If you've read my other posts you know that I'm a strong advocate for improved ALS coverage everywhere including my home province of BC (which I freely admit has atrocious ALS coverage). As things currently stand Alberta has far better ALS coverage than BC. I would hate to see the citizens of Alberta lose what they currently have due to the short-sightedness of a few. I'm not sure what you're experience is with EMS budgets but I can tell you this. 122 million is a woefully inadequate sum to provide ground EMS to an entire province.

Hey, if EMT's are giving nitro then we should be allowed to interpret 12 leads and base our tx on that. I think it's stupid to allow one to administer a drug such as nitro without a 12 done first. It's in the ACoP scope for an EMT here, however several medical directors don't allow EMT's in their services to admin it and for good reason. That was the reason for the "shot" as you so call it.

I'm not sure what YOUR experience in EMS is, but being in the midst of this provincial transition I can tell you that Alberta is now in a downward spiral with EMS. Undertaking a huge task such as funding for such a service with a soon-after announced multi-billion dollar deficit? They saw it coming all along and we should have too ... unfortunately not a thing we could have done as the "powers that be" seem to think they're doing something fantastic and won't listen to anyone but themselves. What will they start cutting back on? Public sector jobs ... they'll put even more strain on the already taxed health care system which apparently now EMS is such a 'valuable' part of. Layoffs, wage freezes (already have seen wage rollbacks), who knows what else ...

Hey, if EMT's are giving nitro then we should be allowed to interpret 12 leads and base our tx on that. I think it's stupid to allow one to administer a drug such as nitro without a 12 done first. It's in the ACoP scope for an EMT here, however several medical directors don't allow EMT's in their services to admin it and for good reason. That was the reason for the "shot" as you so call it.

I hear exactly what your saying. Without a 12 lead you can't rule out right inferior involvement. I'm well aware of the risks involved and I don't like it any more than you do. Just one of many reasons to advocate for greater ALS coverage.

I'm not sure what YOUR experience in EMS is, but being in the midst of this provincial transition I can tell you that Alberta is now in a downward spiral with EMS. Undertaking a huge task such as funding for such a service with a soon-after announced multi-billion dollar deficit? They saw it coming all along and we should have too ... unfortunately not a thing we could have done as the "powers that be" seem to think they're doing something fantastic and won't listen to anyone but themselves. What will they start cutting back on? Public sector jobs ... they'll put even more strain on the already taxed health care system which apparently now EMS is such a 'valuable' part of. Layoffs, wage freezes (already have seen wage rollbacks), who knows what else ...

That's exactly why I fear of what's going on with you guys, our neighbours to the east. I get the distinct impression we're arguing over the fact that we agree with each other. ;) While I do believe that a provincial service has great potential, the implementation plan taking hold in Alta. doesn't seem to be in the best interest of Albertans. What I've seen so far is a completely unrealistic budget expectation that inevitably will lead to a degradation of service both in terms of the number of cars available and in terms of the level of provider available. I know the cost of poor ALS coverage first hand (I don't mean to say that the providers available are of poor quality. Just too few in number.). I see it on a regular basis and at this point my only recourse is to work towards improving my license so that I can provide at that level (ACP).

I know it's idealistic, but at this point the best solution I can see is to significantly increase the number of ALS providers available then watch the powers that be scramble like ants under a magnifying glass when we tell citizens the truth about why their community only has BLS available. In BC one of the biggest hurdles in making that a reality is our licensing body. It's high time the already passed legislation allowing us to form a self-regulating body was put in to effect. Despite ACoP's problems, our Alta. fellows are a step ahead of us on that front. Kudos to you guys for making that leap forward.

Nursing is a prime example of what upping the educational standard can do for the people of that profession. It wasn't until obtaining your RN required a BSC in nursing that nurses received better contracts and professional recognition.

Siffilass: <snip> Being in the midst of this provincial transition I can tell you that Alberta is now in a downward spiral with EMS. Undertaking a huge task such as funding for such a service with a soon-after announced multi-billion dollar deficit? They saw it coming all along and we should have too ... unfortunately not a thing we could have done as the "powers that be" seem to think they're doing something fantastic and won't listen to anyone but themselves. What will they start cutting back on? Public sector jobs ... they'll put even more strain on the already taxed health care system which apparently now EMS is such a 'valuable' part of. Layoffs, wage freezes (already have seen wage rollbacks), who knows what else ...

There are some "old guys" out there that screamed bloody murder at the first anouncements by AHS, the smoke and mirrors and a knee jerk response to Calgary taking a stike vote back a year ago, WE all should have backed our brothers and sisters then but NO just too bloody apothetic, so just look where it has taken us (pass the doobie) a vision without a realistic plan, good grief !

Iris Evans was the health minister then and now oddly enough the Finance Minister ?

Then came "pass the buck" Liepert came next to complete the "coupe de frog gras " forgive my french, blowing smoke giving more control for disposition of patients to clinics or medicenters ... that are already understaffed and overworked btw, we need more beds not an a reshuffle of the deck of cards because this concept will become a legal poker hand for Paramedics. I could go on and explain but legislation has to be put in place to legally safegaurd our proffession FIRST!

'rock_shoes'

<snip> the implementation plan taking hold in Alta. doesn't seem to be in the best interest of Albertans. What I've seen so far is a completely unrealistic budget expectation that inevitably will lead to a degradation of service both in terms of the number of cars available and in terms of the level of provider available.

Agreed operative words in the best interest of Albertans. add taxpayers svp, we now have another level of middle managers appointed to AHS ... hence multiplying and increasing administrative costs instead of improved funding at the delivery level ... sheesh.

I know the cost of poor ALS coverage first hand (I don't mean to say that the providers available are of poor quality. Just too few in number.). I see it on a regular basis and at this point my only recourse is to work towards improving my license so that I can provide at that level (ACP).

Well said, and both commentors do not let the cross hairs wander off target ! I did enjoy the nitro diversion ... rock shoes ... you have read my posts (I so pissed you off in the beginning "with intent" I may add) of this I know but now you have seen the light, tee he. Siff and Yourself are on the same team and the nitro plus or minus ALS is a debate that will never end ... just saying, but poke the bear and one recieves a thoughtful post B)

This is where informed EMS public relashions officer training with media is absolutely essential and by an association. The BC government so cashed in on the uninformed public calling everyone a "Ambulance Paramedic's" the public simply does not understand the difference in delivery or care well until it is way too late. Hats off to your CUPE to inform the public of the importance of paying EMS on the same level as all the other First Responders like Police and FF. ps I so would love to be stationed in Port McNeil, Toffino, or Masset ... I can only dream !

In BC one of the biggest hurdles in making that a reality is our licensing body. It's high time the already passed legislation allowing us to form a self-regulating body was put in to effect. Despite ACoP's problems, our Alta. fellows are a step ahead of us on that front. Kudos to you guys for making that leap forward.

Ok Historically speaking YES re ACoP but be very careful what you ask for now with ACoP they have been legislated by government adding yet an additional layer of nonsence administration and legislated that the members foot the ever increasing fees, 12 % this year alone ! They no longer are self governance as when the council disregards legally passed motions by the membership on the topic of Nation divestature (check out the explanation of why the council no longer has to abide) in the Presidents message in the Dialog on ACoP website, lately the con-ed (called CIMS should be called how to develop paper PTSD) it s a freaking joke !

A FAR better model to follow is ACART (Alberta College and Association of Respiratory Therapists) the actual "self governing body" for Respiratory Therapists (20 years ahead on National recipocity and True advocacy for the members) and no BS Alberta / BC / ONT exams ! The strict ACoP "regulatory body" is now holding up any forward progress, I encourage anyone intereseted to visit the ACART website or contact the registrar Bryan Buell to learn just how to blend the regulatory and advocacy, he so rocks on.

Nursing is a prime example of what upping the educational standard can do for the people of that profession. It wasn't until obtaining your RN required a BSC in nursing that nurses received better contracts and professional recognition.

We in EMS are so far behind in organization, the AARN is the licencing, regulatory and has barganing rights ... need I say more ?

We have been duped like sheep to the slaughter with AB gov dictating just who will represent us in barganing negotiations ... baa baa baa (just following my latest theme avatar)

When Heather (Presedent of AARN) speaks ... Government LISTENS !

The Conservatives are laughing at we "EMS do gooders" this very minute, can't you hear them?

I CAN !

cheers

Edited by tniuqs

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.