Carrying the "Everybody feels good" mentality too

Lone Star

:roll:

you STILL havent come up with a magic number that when reached should end the game. At what point do we tell the kids, "Nice try, but we got spanked, we're quitting now". It would seem that youre one of those people that believes everyone should be rewarded for others hard work. and seriously, cut out the pathetic cries of 'viciousness'. they lost a game, they didnt get dismembered. give it a rest, your whiny rants are tiresome.

The CAN'T come up with a 'magic number to end the game', because there is no 'mercy rule' in basketball.

If one looks at the rules, as long as you can score, you score....

These 'scoreless games' where 'no one goes home a loser' is pure 'feel good' BUNK! It doesn't teach ANYTHING about putting forth any kind of effort or commitment or dedication. Neither does the 'everybody plays' rule. There is no impetus to excel at anything, as whoever tries out, makes the team; and because you're on the team, you get to play.

As far as Dr. Benjamin Spock is concerned, he was such the 'expert' at child psychology and the guru of 'how to raise children', his methods were so 'good' that his children completely stopped talking to him, and he raised such 'well adjusted children' that at least one of them committed suicide.

Is it any 'coincidence' that with the growing popularity of the 'hands off parenting', there's been a huge spike in children with behavioral problems, problems coping, and thousands that suddenly need antidepressants?

Let's also include that juvenile offenders are on the rise, as well as teen pregnancies, drug use and our kids are killing each other at very young ages. (I refer you to the Kayla Rolland shooting in Flint, MI)

Kayla Rolland Story

Why is it that when the 'spare the rod, spoil the child' crowd was in full swing 'destroying their children' did you NEVER hear of a school shooting like you have since Columbine?

October 2007: A teenage gunman reportedly shoots and wounds five people at a high school in Cleveland, Ohio, before killing himself.

April 2007: At least 32 people are killed in two shooting incidents in the campus of Virginia Tech university in Virginia.

October 2006: A 32-year-old gunman shoots dead at least five girls at an Amish school in Pennsylvania, before killing himself

September 2006: Gunman in Colorado shoots and fatally wounds a teenage schoolgirl, then kills himself; two days later a teenager kills the headteacher of a school in Cazenovia, Wisconsin

November 2005: Student in Tennessee shoots dead an assistant principal and wounds two other administrators

March 2005: Minnesota schoolboy kills nine, then shoots himself

May 2004: Four people injured in shooting at a school in Maryland

April 2003: Teenager shoots dead head-teacher at a Pennsylvania school, then kills himself

March 2001: Pupil opens fire at a school in California, killing two students

February 2000: Six-year-old girl shot dead by classmate in Michigan

November 1999: Thirteen-year-old girl shot dead by a classmate in New Mexico

May 1999: Student injures six pupils in shoot-out in Georgia

April 1999: Two teenagers shoot dead 12 students and a teacher before killing themselves at Columbine School in Colorado

June 1998: Two adults hurt in shooting by teenage student at high school in Virginia

May 1998: Fifteen-year-old boy shoots himself in the head after taking a girl hostage

May 1998: Fifteen-year-old shoots dead two students in school cafeteria in Oregon

April 1998: Fourteen-year-old shoots dead a teacher and wounds two students in Pennsylvania

March 1998: Two boys, 11 and 13, kill four girls and a teacher in Arkansas

December 1997: Fourteen-year-old boy kills three students in Kentucky

October 1997: Sixteen-year-old boy stabs mother, then shoots dead two students at school in Mississippi, injuring several others

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4371403.stm

Note how many of those listed were committed by our wonderfully adjusted 'time out kids'!

Judging from the number of juvenile shooters, it would seem that the 'hands off approach' is actually HARMING our children instead of 'protecting them'!

So you cite 20 cases over an 11 year period, what does that prove ? According to the FBI, the homocide rate in 2007 was just slightly higher than it was in 1950 (with some peaks and valleys in between):

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0873729.html

Those are just the school shootings that were mostly perpetrated by the product of 'hands off parenting'. That doesn't include things like the homeless people that are being killed by teens out for a 'kick'. Or because they aren't intelligent enough to realize that 'wrasslin' is fake. I could go on and on, but I think my point is proven.

Provide documentation that evidences the parenting style demonstrated by *all* of the parents of these shooting perpetrators. And isn't 32 starting to get a bit old for the group you're trying to lump together here? I think that Amish shooter is a definite outlier.

Was Bundy a hands off kid? How about Ted Kaczynski? Jeffery Dalmer? Terry Nichols and Timothy McVeigh?

Show me some actual data, not generalizations that you've decided fit your claim... if you can link the hands-off/time-out parenting style CONCRETELY to more than 10% of these incidents you listed, plus any of my list above, I'll shut up.

You know I love ya... the scientist in me is screaming at you is all.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Nowere did I say that ALL of those school shootings listed were perpetrated by the 'hands off generation', nor did I imply that they're the only murderers out there. I cited the school shootings to prove my point about the 'producut' of the 'hands off parenting approach' that so many tout as the 'only way to raise children'.

And I'm saying that you're pulling a logical non-sequitir... for all you know, those kids may be the only ones in their family NOT raised via hands-off parenting philosophy. Unless you can prove that they WERE hands-off kids, you have no grounds...

Sure, school shootings have emerged as a newer form of violence. But what about all the sickness of society that's gone on for CENTURIES? Pedophilia? Rape? Murder? Organized crime with brutal physical violence?

One could argue that mafia beatings and killings have DECREASED to the PUBLIC EYE... and I bet a lot of the Mafiosos were raised in households where they were spanked... does that explain the mob violence of just a few decades ago?

You're saying that school shootings, this particular form of violent killing sprees, have increased because parents no longer spank their kids. I'm saying that unless you can draw a direct parallel, you're just making that association because *surprise* it's what you WANT to see.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

Provide documentation that evidences the parenting style demonstrated by *all* of the parents of these shooting perpetrators. And isn't 32 starting to get a bit old for the group you're trying to lump together here? I think that Amish shooter is a definite outlier.

Was Bundy a hands off kid? How about Ted Kaczynski? Jeffery Dalmer? Terry Nichols and Timothy McVeigh?

Show me some actual data, not generalizations that you've decided fit your claim... if you can link the hands-off/time-out parenting style CONCRETELY to more than 10% of these incidents you listed, plus any of my list above, I'll shut up.

You know I love ya... the scientist in me is screaming at you is all.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

I have to leave you on your own here Wendy. Dust and LS have decided that 'seems like' is the new science, and I don't know how to have that argument.

LS has decided that every headline has come to represent 'every' child in todays society, despite the overwhelming evidence that that vast majoritiy of kids today are doing just fine, and I don't know how to have that argument either.

This conversation is no longer about logic or intelligence. It's about those that want to wallow is feel good, illogical, immediate gratification as opposed to science base progress bullshit. I stopped a while back even trying to defend my opinion and argued that we need to persue the science and even that is opposed.

Dust claims that somehow being a peds nurse gives him some type of extra insight into parenting skills. He claims that evidence isn't needed to support his views anymore as history has shown his views to be correct, because they 'seem' to be. I would rather believe that I've been wrong about the sky being blue than to believe that Dust were capable of making such a silly argument.

I have to admit that at some point I've at least partially, if not completely gone off into the ditch, because I'm shocked by the new "I need prove nothing" attitude here. It just makes no sense to me. Either something terrible has changed, or I've been wrong all along...I just can't figure it out.

Either way, I choose not to play any more.

Dwayne