Carrying the "Everybody feels good" mentality too

Lone Star

[align=center:621830cbca]Texas girls hoops team seeks forfeit of 100-0 win[/align:621830cbca]

DALLAS (AP) - A high school girls basketball team that beat an opponent 100-0 has a case of blowout remorse.

The winning school now says it wants to do the right thing by seeking a forfeit and apologizing for the margin of victory.

"It is shameful and an embarrassment that this happened," the head of the school said Thursday on The Covenant School's Web site. He added that Covenant has made "a formal request to forfeit the game recognizing that a victory without honor is a great loss."

Covenant, a private Christian school in Dallas, defeated Dallas Academy 100-0 last week. Covenant was up 59-0 at halftime.

A parent who attended the game told The Associated Press that Covenant continued to make 3-pointers — even in the fourth quarter. She praised the Covenant players but said spectators and an assistant coach were cheering wildly as their team edged closer to 100 points.

"I think the bad judgment was in the full-court press and the 3-point shots," said Renee Peloza, whose daughter plays for Dallas Academy. "At some point, they should have backed off."

Dallas Academy coach Jeremy Civello told The Dallas Morning News that the game turned into a "layup drill," with the opposing team's guards waiting to steal the ball and drive to the basket. Covenant scored 12 points in the fourth quarter and "finally eased up when they got to 100 with about four minutes left," he said.

Dallas Academy has eight girls on its varsity team and about 20 girls in its high school. It is winless over the last four seasons. The academy boasts of its small class sizes and specializes in teaching students struggling with "learning differences," such as short attention spans or dyslexia.

There is no mercy rule in girls basketball that shortens the game or permits the clock to continue running when scores become lopsided. There is, however, "a golden rule" that should have applied in this contest, said Edd Burleson, the director of the Texas Association of Private and Parochial Schools. Both schools are members of this association, which oversees private school sports in Texas.

"On a personal note, I told the coach of the losing team how much I admire their girls for continuing to compete against all odds," Burleson said. "They showed much more character than the coach that allowed that score to get out of hand. It's up to the coach to control the outcome."

Covenant coach Micah Grimes and head of school Kyle Queal did not immediately respond to messages left by The Associated Press on Thursday.

In the statement on the Covenant Web site, Queal said the game "does not reflect a Christ-like and honorable approach to competition. We humbly apologize for our actions and seek the forgiveness of Dallas Academy, TAPPS and our community."

Queal said school officials met with Dallas Academy officials to apologize and praised the Dallas Academy players for "strength, composure and fortitude in a game in which they clearly emerged the winner."

Peloza said the coach and other parents praised the Dallas Academy girls for limiting Covenant to 12 points in the fourth quarter. She added that neither her daughter nor her teammates seemed to dwell on the loss.

"Somewhere during that game they got caught up in the moment," Peloza said, referring to the Covenant players, fans and coaches. "Our girls just moved on. That's the happy part of the story."

Original Story Here

Can someone PLEASE tell me why the girls on the winning team need to feel bad for doing a fantastic job? IF anyone deserves getting beat up on, it's the coach of the 'not winning team' (gotta stay with the 'feel good words'), for letting this mismatched turkey shoot to happen in the first place!

If you don't have enough players to make up a 'proper team', then it's your responsibility as a coach to bow out of the games due to lack of interest/participation.

There is no need to make the girls that have dedicated themselves to being the best that they can be in their chosen activity feel bad for being the best they can. There is NO reason that the winning team has to feel bad because they went out and got the 'job done'!

Yeah, sure...the girls on the other team got their asses handed to them, but that's a chance you take ANY time you step into a contest of any nature!

At this rate, the Olympic Games will be held for 'funsies' and nobody gets medals! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

That is why we are bring up a generation of pansies! They are not prepared for the real world and think everything should be handed to them! :roll:

Try and keep in mind that me, and others, watch a fair number of those 'pansies' flying home in flag draped coffins each week. Please be a little more careful with your generalizations. There is not a thing wrong with this generation that wasn't just as wrong in previous generations.

There are certainly arguments to be made for the lack of sportsmanship associated with beating a team with zero wins over four seasons 100-0. Neither team learned anything productive from that, and, with this being school and all, wouldn't it seem worthwhile to teach kids that though winning is good, it's not the end all, be all? I think so.

You should be grateful LS. Many of your posts fly by because people don't want to hurt your feelings. They don't want to tell you that they are mostly macho ignorant redneck blather. So in that case this 'pussy generation' works to your advantage. Don't bite the hand that feeds you brother...

Dwayne

Try and keep in mind that me, and others, watch a fair number of those 'pansies' flying home in flag draped coffins each week. Please be a little more careful with your generalizations. There is not a thing wrong with this generation that wasn't just as wrong in previous generations.

There are certainly arguments to be made for the lack of sportsmanship associated with beating a team with zero wins over four seasons 100-0. Neither team learned anything productive from that, and, with this being school and all, wouldn't it seem worthwhile to teach kids that though winning is good, it's not the end all, be all? I think so.

You should be grateful LS. Many of your posts fly by because people don't want to hurt your feelings. They don't want to tell you that they are mostly macho ignorant redneck blather. So in that case this 'pussy generation' works to your advantage. Don't bite the hand that feeds you brother...

Dwayne

Dwayne you need a chill pill today.

When I was a kid you lost you lost. You did not get a ribbon, a trophy etc. The winners got the prize. Today everyone gets the win even when they lose. Sorry as a coach if my second string is on the court and still scoring so sorry they need practice to.

As to those coming back in coffins. The military took most of the pansy out of them.

We need accountability. People need to start understanding life is not fair. We learned that as kids and do not have near the mental problems coping with stresses of life that the younger people seem to be having. Yes there are some crazys in my generation but not like we see in this current group of youth. Yes there are some great young people as well but as a whole there are a lot of them at a big loss when reality hits.

Yes, I can see it now. Highschool girls basketball/Combat, i see the comparison.

It pays to be a winner.

These kids should be glad that the hours of practice and travel paid off in their blow out victory regardless of the other teams losing streak. What a bunch of crap. now every kid in class gets a ribbon or some such thing even if they fail. wheres the incentive to succeed? government will bail me out, my teachers will still pass me because i 'tried' to pass, ill still get promoted because of my race/sex/heritage not because of my talents.

'kids' get probation for stealing cars and running from the cops, "Well he was only 17"...

Parents get prison for spanking their kids and a felony rap.

I could go on and on and on.

teach your brat some personal responsibility and the meaning of hard work and success. And quit making kids feel guilty for reaping the rewards of hard work and talent.

what a crock of &#%@

:evil: :evil:

watch this and tell me which game you would rather watch:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=Hp2sQYsNpPs

Ive got dwayne's back on this one. What is one of the greatest examples of "winning at all costs". The american business market during the 80s-90s. It is why your economy is in the shape that it is now. Profits at any costs have destroyed your companies but made your CEO's and shareholders millionaires, while your dad probably had to retrain for a new career at age 50.

Anytime, you are doing something at the expense of someone else, you really need to think about what you are achieving. It is like a prize-fighter delivering the brain-damaging blow to an opponent that is already "out-on-his-feet". You win the fight, but put a man in a coma, what have you won ?

watch this and tell me which game you would rather watch:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=Hp2sQYsNpPs

Ive got dwayne's back on this one. What is one of the greatest examples of "winning at all costs". The american business market during the 80s-90s. It is why your economy is in the shape that it is now. Profits at any costs have destroyed your companies but made your CEO's and shareholders millionaires, while your dad probably had to retrain for a new career at age 50.

Anytime, you are doing something at the expense of someone else, you really need to think about what you are achieving. It is like a prize-fighter delivering the brain-damaging blow to an opponent that is already "out-on-his-feet". You win the fight, but put a man in a coma, what have you won ?

Business is a win at all costs game. I would not run a business to lose money!

As for the prize fighter, It is called a Knock out!!!!!! When you enter into any sport you know the risks involved. You should also know that someone will lose and it may be bad.

What was this basketball team suppose to do. Just stop playing and let the other team score? Give me a break. This is the real world. It is a eat or be eaten world. If you do not teach kids how to deal with losing, they will not make it.

As was stated, this is why we have so many young people on antidepressant meds. They expect everyone to be kind and let them by with trying!

Dwayne,

Do not even bring military service into this. They are trained by the military how to adapt. Every generation has fought for this country. Many have lost more, but that is not the point. I highly respect the youth that are defending this country. They have learned what the real world is like.

Not all of this generation is like this. There are a lot that understand and are hard workers. Most had parents that taught them this, because they knew they would need it in life.

Remember that these kids probably *DID* learn some valuable lessons, and that no matter what the other team says or does, they will always know that they got trounced 100-0.

I am all for fair contests and knowing when you lost. But I am also for helping people to learn lessons about humility, fair conduct and being aware when there is a huge discrepancy. It's like playing "go-fish" with a 3 year old... we could all absolutely humiliate that 3 year old every single time we play because we're much older and smarter and in that case, have the natural advantage.

A good coach knows to tell his or her players to back off a tad when the score margin becomes huge. We had one such soccer game in high school in which we wanted to contest to continue, so instead of continuing to shoot goals against the other team, we worked on good skills like possession, passes at odd angles, difficult/far out shots. Of course, the instructions were that if the win were to be threatened, we were to revert to pounding mercilessly... but when you're up 10-1 in soccer, it's pretty unlikely that the other team will make a comeback.

To continue shooting baskets just because you can against a team that is obviously vastly inferior to yours teaches the winning team nothing. That would have been an ample opportunity to hone skills that will be needed in a contest against a better team, rather than inflating the girls' self perception as athletes.

Like I said... anyone can beat a 3 year old at "go fish." Do you exult and celebrate wildly, or remember that there are better opponents out there? Do you grind the 3 year old mercilessly so all they ever learn is defeat? Of course not. It's like playing with pups... occasionally, you gotta let them win tug-of-war or they give up.

Wendy

CO EMT-B

They lost. Move on.

I bet if it wasn't a "christian" school, this wouldn't happen. I like how they threw in the bit about the other school being for children with learning problems. It's all too typical. No more losers, just winners and runner ups. Everyone gets a trophy, so nobody feels left out. Well, maybe, they could take the expirence and learn to try harder for the next game. Rather than just have the win handed to them.

If they were the better sports(wo)man, they'd refuse it, and say that next game they'll come out on top. That is, if the coach of the winning team doesn't make them, let the other team win.