Carrying the "Everybody feels good" mentality too

Lone Star

Lone Star....

As much as I enjoy some of your posts, you need to lighten up on my generation. Just because the internet news feeds you the worst stories, it does not mean those stories generalize my generation. We come complete with many great minds, talents, and gifts to offer this world. This is the generation that will possibly be taking care of you one day.

I get the impression that you think your generation was raised right. That any other mindset automatically makes another generation inferior to yours. Sure, my generation has its bad apples, but so does your generation. Do not kid yourself. How many posts do you think I could make showing 'failures' of people near your age? Just because MSN news feeds you news stories about 'my generation', that does not make it an accurate representation of persons near my age group.

Losing by 100 points, with a base score of 0 is not teaching anything to the participants. There is no competition when one teams beats the tar out of another. Obviously, with a 100-0 lead, the losing team was no competition for the winning team. The team with the higher score should have been pulled out long before they reached 100 points. The teams should be playing against those who match in skill levels. It is one thing to lose a game with matching skills, it is another to lose because the other team has a SIGNIFICANT advantage.

This whole thing is wrong in so many ways.

First off the fact that the redneck texas school athletic commission decided that a school full of handicapped kids has to compete in the same league with "normal" kids

Next the Fact that a "christian " school coach , families and the entire team felt it was necessary to rub the "retards'" noses in it by blowing the score up to 100 to nada.

Then the "christians magically got religion " a couple days later when they realized all the bad press they were getting and decided to apologize & ask for a forfeit. SHAME on them!

The losing team were on a morning national tv show today with their coach. I give them and their coach a loud round of applause for keeping their dignity and team spirit . They are truly happy to be allowed to play sports and compete even though they don't have a rats arse chance of beating anyone. They don't have the capacity to know why everyone is making a fuss over them but can't wait to play and lose their next game.

The losing school has 8 female students to make up the team.

As Paul Harvey would say :

And thats the rest of the story :D:D:D

There's some real keyboard tough guys on this board, that's for DAMN sure.

Yes, we are all "keyboard tough guys" :roll:

People need to read all the posts and the original article before responding.

Question for all the lesson learners. What lesson would have been taught by the winning team laying down after 50 points?

Actually many moons ago in high school we were up by a bunch before halftime. Coach put all bench warmers in for second half and only called QB up the middle. The other team still could not stop our guys. By the end some claimed we ran it up. What else could we do besides say hut and hand the ball to opponent? Sorry sometimes the opponent sucks and there is no way not to score w/o just giving them the ball. Sorry you do not teach winning and good technique that way.

Woah, woah. Who said don't try hard or to hand them the ball. I said it seemed the problem was showing off and bad sportsmanship. It was a Catholic school, right? I think teaching good values was the highest priority (which means being able to win properly...remember, I said win)

A lot of the attitude of the players and dynamics of the game don't come through in the article.

I hate to see you think about going. I am disappointed that you refuse to accept that there is any opinion that is right except yours on this discussion. While you and I don't agree on this discussion there is no reason to get mad.

It’s not that my opinion is the only right one, as you can see that my opinion is not well formed, it’s just that the opposing argument has been proved wrong for so long that it makes me crazy. It's such an ignorant opinion for a complex issue and anyone spending even an hour or two looking into it would see so.

And yeah, I got pretty pissed about the disrespect for CBEMT's children. That's just utter weak, ignorant cowardice.

It's no sin that the game turned out how it did, what's a sin is that there are so many here that believe it's a good thing for both teams involved. I don't get that...

Learning to raise undamaged children is an evolution. Things need to be tried, tested, judged objectively and then either improved on or discarded, yet each time a thread like this comes up, most often started by Lonestar, there is a never ending cacophony of "beat them more and they will be better!" Tried it folks. It didn't work then, and it won't work now, so to continue to call for a return of the same failed measures, I find, idiotic. It’s like screaming to build more prisons instead of learning how to raise people that don’t end up there. To me, that just seems obviously, blatantly stupid. Sometimes I can’t see how anyone smart enough to do medicine can’t see it as well. I don’t pretend to have the answers, I’m just simply arguing against continuing to use the same failed tools from the past.

And I'm not going anywhere. I've been asked by many in the last few months to leave, but that's not likely to happen any time soon. But there is certainly here, as everywhere, a cost/benefit analysis and threads like this tilt the scale so far to the cost side that it does make one wonder where our time might be better spent.

I'm grateful for most all of your thoughts, and the time you dedicate to sharing them, but I've found that my bullshit tolerance is just too friggin low for some things.

Dwayne

Learning to raise undamaged children is an evolution. Things need to be tried, tested, judged objectively and then either improved on or discarded, yet each time a thread like this comes up, most often started by Lonestar, there is a never ending cacophony of "beat them more and they will be better!" Tried it folks. It didn't work then, and it won't work now, so to continue to call for a return of the same failed measures, I find, idiotic. It’s like screaming to build more prisons instead of learning how to raise people that don’t end up there. To me, that just seems obviously, blatantly stupid. Sometimes I can’t see how anyone smart enough to do medicine can’t see it as well. I don’t pretend to have the answers, I’m just simply arguing against continuing to use the same failed tools from the past.

Dwayne

I agree that learning to raise children is a 'trial and error' exercise at best, but if the 'spare the rod and spoil the child' method didn't work, why can't you see that moving to the complete opposite end of the spectrum isn't working as well?

Just because you don’t like the message, is no excuse to beat the messenger!

________________________________________________________________________________

____

Lone Star....

As much as I enjoy some of your posts, you need to lighten up on my generation. Just because the internet news feeds you the worst stories, it does not mean those stories generalize my generation. We come complete with many great minds, talents, and gifts to offer this world. This is the generation that will possibly be taking care of you one day.

I get the impression that you think your generation was raised right. That any other mindset automatically makes another generation inferior to yours. Sure, my generation has its bad apples, but so does your generation. Do not kid yourself. How many posts do you think I could make showing 'failures' of people near your age? Just because MSN news feeds you news stories about 'my generation', that does not make it an accurate representation of persons near my age group.

Mateo,

I apologize if you drew the conclusion that I'm bashing the entire generation that you're in. While that isn't my intention, even you have to admit that 'your generation' DOES show more than a few signs of being out of control!

I'm not claiming to be an expert, but any blind person can see that the current trend of 'hands off parenting' isn't turning out some of the future 'pillars of society'!

I’ll be one of the first to admit that I’ve met some very bright young minds, but I’ve also seen more that couldn’t give a damn about authority, morals, ethics or just plain ‘good citizenship’!

In my opinion, what makes this even worse is we don’t press these young people to actually put much effort forth, and reward them for barely exerting minimal effort.

No, I don’t have all the answers, never claimed to have them. All I do is bring up for DISCUSSION what I perceive to be how MY generation is failing the next in line!

Just because I refuse to blindly accept what some ‘expert’ thinks is the ‘best approach’, doesn’t make me ‘ignorant’ or a ‘redneck’ or any other derogatory term that has been used in this thread to refer to me and my way of thinking. It simply means that I refuse to be a ‘sheep’ and blindly follow without thinking for myself!

I was raised in a strict household, where not even a fraction of what kids today are pulling would have been accepted. If I didn’t maintain at least a “B” average in my studies, I wasn’t allowed to participate in extracurricular activities, because those ‘activities’ were obviously interfering with my school work. If I EVER called my mother a ‘bitch’ because she didn’t by my favorite snack while at the grocery store would have resulted in swift punishment, and not some ‘time out’ bull excrement.

If I wasn’t home by the preset time (set by the parent that gave me permission to go in the first place), it usually meant that I’d lost the privilege to go anywhere for a while.

No, my parents didn’t believe in the ‘beat ‘em enough and they’ll turn out ok’ mentality, BUT there were consequences for my actions that violated the rules set forth by my parents!

From what I see these days, the parents are trying too hard to be the child’s ‘bestest friend’, and it’s not working!

I was at the local grocery store the other day and watched an 8 year old throw a temper tantrum because mom wouldn’t buy him all the junk food he had put into the buggy. When he was told ‘no’, the child began throwing a temper tantrum right in the middle of the aisle, complete down to swinging fists at his mother. Explain to me how Dr. Spock’s method of ‘hands off parenting’ does ANYTHING to discourage this type of behavior!

Yes, we are all "keyboard tough guys" :roll:

People need to read all the posts and the original article before responding.

Question for all the lesson learners. What lesson would have been taught by the winning team laying down after 50 points?

thats the fourth time this has been asked, i wouldnt expect an answer. as for those that want to know what lessons were learned here. the lesson learned was that when you practice and work hard at something, you will succeed. and if you dont, you get pounded 100-0. this school hasnt won a game in FOUR YEARS why all the hate now? because of the score? youre so, so right. it would have been much better to pull the kids out 10min into that game and save the shame.

imagine playing games for 4 years and never being allowed to finish one because you suck. wow. theres a lesson learned. when the going gets tough, dont worry because victory will be handed to you on a platter out of pitty. when you lose a promotion at work to someone else, its not because you werent the best choice for the position, its because they werent being 'fair' to you. When you get accosted on the street late one night, just lay down and take your ass kicking, or worse, sooner or later the bully will tire and you'll be able to run and hide.

Are you guys friggin serious?

It’s like screaming to build more prisons instead of learning how to raise people that don’t end up there. To me, that just seems obviously, blatantly stupid.

Youre so right. maybe if these parents had taught their kids personal responsibility and the fact nothing in life is free, along with a good work ethic, we wouldnt need all these prisons. instead they were taught that, "Its not your fault baby, its everyone elses. What? No job? Well heres a free check every month. No healthcare? No food? Heres some food stamps and a WIC card. Dont worry, we have ambulances that will take you door to door and you never have to pay for it. Cant afford education because you have no job? Well heres some money for that too." "No baby, its not your fault you never got a job and put yourself through school like the folks youre sponging off." :roll:

Jesus Christ and Dale Earnhardt Junior. You guys have GOT to be kidding, right? They got spanked 100-0, welcome to life kiddies. Sometimes, yes, you really will fail at something.

I'm just curious Lone Star, honestly, why do you have such a hang up about other people's kids? I mean, maybe we could agree for you to raise your kids the way you want them raised, other people can raise their children the way they want them raised, and we can all move on with out lives? Why do you have to be parent to everyone? I think you watch entirely too much TV, IMHO. Turn the set off, worry about your children, raise them right, and let the world go on. Stop with this obsession of yours to be disciplinarian dad to the entire planet. There's kids in the United States who act up. There's those that use foul language. There's ones that throw temper tantrums, there's ones that beat each other up, there's ones that get each other pregnant, and as much as you'd like to see it as an issue of "doing it the old fashioned way" or not, there's many different issues at play, none of which you have control over. So stop worrying about other people and start worrying about your own family. Because personally, if I had one problem with "today's kids" its that their asshole parents are more worried about "the community" and "society" and "his kids" and "her kids" and "that school" rather than worrying about to be the best parents they themselves can be.

When I was in highschool we didnt have a wrestling team... but that didnt stop one classmate from wrestling. He quite litterally became our one man team. He practiced with a neighboring town but was not a part of the team and still had to face them. By the end of the season this one kid rose up (technically by himself since he faces the team he practices with) and took second place in the state championship. He was a great person, very hard working and determined... and he rose up. Yea so wrestling is a bit different than other sports; the matches are on an indavidual rather than team basis. But he didnt even have a team.

I feel bad that the blowout was that great... but heres the thing, if the losing team was so desperate for additional players they can do what many other towns and cities do, join forces with a neighbor. My school didnt even have a football team because of lack of interest, we had football players on another team though... and it was the Old Saybrook / Westbrook Rams, a joint effort. Additionally, you cant fault either team nor any team in highschool basketball for not having any kind of mercy rule. That is somehting that could be changed Im sure, but basketball being a fast paced and high scoring game would probably not work the same. Could the winning coach have had them back off a bit? Maybe, but how? "Hey girls just allow them to get a few shots here and there!" I suppose that he could diplomatically have talked to the other coach about forfeiting or something but come on...

Im sorry but Im with alot of others in saying that this (my) generation is full of a bunch of pansies. It has absoloutley nothing to do with flag drapped coffins or military service either... NOTHING. Because not everyone in this generation falls into that category. Hell at one time I did, but you know something with the help of no one I woke up and snapped out of it. And its nearly impossible to discipline a child these days... I dont mean that you should have to strike a child to get their attention but hell people dont even raise their voices anymore. And I see kids of thoes parents get away with bloody murder as mom or dad quietly count to 3 then walk away rather than enforce. My aunt and uncle have two boys, in their pre and early teens... they discapline them when nessecarry and dont go overboard. But they do discapline their kids no less, and teach them lessons. My uncle coaches baseball also. Neither of these boys regularly causes trouble, acts with poor sportsmanship or do much of anything with poor judgement. Oh sure some of you probably think they are total squares? (NOT YOU GUYS IM SPEAKING FOR THE JUDEGMENTAL SOCIETY AS A WHOLE) Well they have alot of friends, have a social life and have alot of fun... including video games... and they arnt shooting up schools cuz they didnt get that candy bar the other day or the big wheel they wanted for christmas.

Personally (not proffesionally) while I aknowledge some people have learning disabilities... I think that this ADD crap is a myth. We need to stop shoving pills down our kids throats and spend time with them. And yes I do know that the economy makes that difficult today. Pretty much its either love your child and make no money to feed them, or work but never see them. Its a damn double edged sword.

Using a personal story... mind you I didnt play school sports:

I used to play paintball on a regular basis in high school. We didnt have a school team but my friends and I did. We played in fields against others and were very competative. There was no prize for the win but alas it was competative. We played a group of current and former Marines once and hell it was tough... most of us were wannabe and/or future military, but of course had no training of the sort. Mind you a paintball gun fires and operates differently from a real firearm... but they still had the stealthy capabilities and better communication and team orientation. I was the last guy remaining on my team and they still had a full one. I was pinned down with pretty much 0 chance of survival. I could have used the mercy rule to quit but why? Thick brush protected them while I sat almost in the open, oh yea and I was down to one 1/2 speed loader and an empty gun. I was fu*%ed. They started to flank me and on a hope and prayer took out three of their guys while reloading at the same time... then I took one to the head :x I coulda been a little pansy and quit... I was 1 kid up against 4 frigging real life Marines but seriously, theres no fun in quitting... no matter how fu*%ed you are.