Carrying the "Everybody feels good" mentality too

Lone Star

I think the problem was an issue of showing off and bad sportsmanship.

Actually many moons ago in high school we were up by a bunch before halftime. Coach put all bench warmers in for second half and only called QB up the middle. The other team still could not stop our guys. By the end some claimed we ran it up. What else could we do besides say hut and hand the ball to opponent? Sorry sometimes the opponent sucks and there is no way not to score w/o just giving them the ball. Sorry you do not teach winning and good technique that way.

win at all costs? i didnt see anything in the article that said the other team had their legs broken prior to losing.

maybe we should allow those that recieve a 69% on the National Registry to recieve a pass because, well gee, they tried and came really close...

as for bad sportsmanship and 'showing off', seriously? would it look better if the girls sat on the bench and allowed the other team to miss layups and free throws without opposition?

what would be an acceptable score? 80-0? maybe 60-0?

Give me a break. they won through hard work and practice and now you guys want to penalize them for it? what kind of lesson is that? "You know honey, maybe you should stop studying because if you get straight A's, other kids will feel bad". "I want you to fail this math test so the other kids will feel good". where does it end? our government tried the approach of 'everyone deserves a house', just to be fair. look where that got us. that 'fairness' just contributed to an economic collapse of the worlds only superpower. Life isnt 'fair', its a fact.

I remember a 6th grade broom ball game. Our small rural school (Jumbo Gardens ) played an even smaller rural school (5 Mile). I was a shy, alienated kid who was teacher's pet but humiliated on a daily basis by my classmates. We were not an athletic school. A few days before the match, we had our first practice. To my and everyone else s utter surprise, the game brought out reserves of aggression, speed and strength that no-one else, including me, knew were in me. I scored the only goal in practice and got some of the first kind words from peers in my elementary school career.

On the day of the game, I was on fire. I scored 4 goals in the first quarter. The other team had none. I was a little embarrassed when I realized I had cross checked a very nice girl right into the spectators. I helped her up. I wasn't penalized because the other team was hacking at my ankles with their broomsticks in a futile effort to bring me down.

After the 4th goal, the coach pulled me out of the game. I couldn't figure out what I had done wrong but I was partially relieved that I no longer had to make such heroic efforts. The game ended 4-0.

It remains one of the few bright spots in my childhood. I was walking on air. The coach prevented a blowout. The other school had some solace in the fact that they were as good (or as bad) as the others on the team.

It wasn't until I read these postings that I finally understand, 30 plus years later, why I was pulled out of the game.

PS - I'm old - I'm allowed to tell long boring stories from back in the day. :wink:

• Like 1

So you were pulled from the game for being good at something?

You played your best and showed good sportsmanship by helping the other player up, yet you were punished for the effort.

The other teams you play in sports have just as much time to practice as you do. if they choose not to excel, that is their choice. NO child should be held back for doing their best. That is the most counter productive thing we can do to a child.

Any sport I played as a child, I always wanted to play the best teams. Did not matter if we got killed in the game, it made you better. If you compete against mediocre players, you will become mediocre. If you play against the best, it will make you play your best and you will only get better!

Full-court press and 3-point shots when the game is a blowout at the half is absurd. This isn't about raising pansies. This is about right and wrong. 100-0 against a team from a school for the learning disabled that hasn't one a game in 4 years? Come on. I'm all for "suck it up" and the like, and I'm all for personal responsibility but I can't help still feeling like the coach of the winning team needs sanctions from the league. He could have easily put a stop to it, but chose to keep blasting away as if he was playing the Celtics for the championship. Ridiculous.

Full-court press and 3-point shots when the game is a blowout at the half is absurd. This isn't about raising pansies. This is about right and wrong. 100-0 against a team from a school for the learning disabled that hasn't one a game in 4 years? Come on. I'm all for "suck it up" and the like, and I'm all for personal responsibility but I can't help still feeling like the coach of the winning team needs sanctions from the league. He could have easily put a stop to it, but chose to keep blasting away as if he was playing the Celtics for the championship. Ridiculous.

you got to be kidding. sanctions? for what? coaching a good team? they beat a team that hasnt won a game in 4 years! any thought that the losers are literally 'out of their league'? IMO you need to direct your venom to the coach that cant win a game. you still havent come up with a solution to this. when would you advise teams to say 'enough'? 20-0? 60-0? imagine being pulled off the court 10 minutes into a game when youre down 30-0. would that not be humiliating?

if you have kids i really hope theyre failures. if they happen to succeed, youd probally send them to bed without dinner....that'll show em! :?

well I've been on the losing team more times that I can remember in high school and grade school

If' you've never been beaten as bad as that team was you have no frame of reference.

In one baseball game our team got beaten 64 to 2. The 64 points were in the first 3 innings.

I feel sorry for these kids who have not won in 4 years but this is life and even though I feel sorry for them I am not going to say for the coach of the other team to lighten up but honestly 100 to nothing. Did the coach of the other team actually take the first string out or did he keep some of them in to increase their stats?

Did the coach try to limit the score or did the coach continue to tell their kids to keep scoring.

There is NO lesson learned in this fiasco of a game. The lessons the kids learned are

1. They truly do SUCK

2. That the other team is better than them

3. The winning coach didn't seem to care about their team(whaaa)

4. Finally the winning coach and his school feel really bad about kicking their asses and they want to forfeit the game. Which they still lost but that school feels bad about beating a crappy team to begin with.

Maybe these kids need to buck up but there is absolutely NO lesson to be learned in this whole thing.

If they were playing against a school for the mentally handicapped, then that might be a choice. Kids with ADHD and Dyslexia are not handicapped. They can play a sport the same as everyone else. So no, I do not feel that the coach was wrong.

Maybe that school needs to drop to a lower division, where they might win a game?

Man, I was speaking to one of the most respected members on this board the other day who said, "The posts have become so macho and ignorant that I'm not sure I even want to post any more. I'm not sure the board’s even savable."

I argued then, but now I have to agree that he's probably right. The ‘Winners are winners and losers need to suck it up’ attitude is truly just depressing. It’s so narrow minded and short sighted that I’m not sure what could change such simple minds. It shows a complete lack of psychological education, a call back to the “good ol’ boy” just ‘beat em enough and they’ll turn out ok’ crap. Embarrassing.

And to wish failure on a person's children? That stoops to a whole new level of idiocy and cowardice. CTXMedic, I’ve often liked many of your posts, but I can’t imagine what would cause me to ever again take seriously the thoughts of someone so soulless as to curse another’s children because of an argument. What a pussy.

When schools pitch the need for their sports programs is that what they say? “Because we win!” “Why should we give you this money we ask”, and they reply something to the effect of "Because it builds strength, pride, companionship, and good sportsmanship." In other words it builds character. I'm blessed to know many people of character, yet not a single one that wouldn't have played the towel boy before allowing this to happen.

To whoever said they should pick a different league? Obviously you're talking out of your ass when you talk about playing school sports, because if you had played then you'd know that no one chooses their league. It's based on school population as well as availability.

Reaper, don't tell me not to bring the military into this. You pulled the "generation of pansies" card brother. If you don't like the consequences of the things you say, simply don't make stupid generalizations. The military didn't turn a few generations of "I run to mommy if I feel uncomfortable" kids into soldiers willing to die for their country in a few short weeks. There are losers in the "feel good" generation, but there are also amazing athletes, captains of new industry, brilliant minds dedicated to healing and ending suffering. All from the "feel good" generations.

Just because your limited minds can see no benefit except to chart wins vs losses doesn't mean that history isn't proving that you’re you're full of shit. It obviously is.

No one benefitted from the mentioned game. The winners beat up on a team that has about 15 people to draw talent from. No pride there. The school that got hammered showed everyone a terrible lesson by asking for apologies. Shame on them. There were a bunch of lessons to be learned here but it seems both sides missed them all.

Well…there you have it. Perhaps this post will get me banned and I won’t have to worry about it any more…

Have a great day all…

Dwayne

Well…there you have it. Perhaps this post will get me banned and I won’t have to worry about it any more…

Have a great day all…

Dwayne

I hate to see you think about going. I am disappointed that you refuse to accept that there is any opinion that is right except yours on this discussion. While you and I don't agree on this discussion there is no reason to get mad.