Offensive or Freedom of Speech?

ERDoc

As far as moving the children out of the home we must remember that approximation (of the names) does not equal causation (Removal). (Actual, more intelligent quote tweaked to suit my purposes) The story doesn't say why they were removed.

And to say that Adolph is just another name is like saying that nigger is just another word. Some words, names, phrases have become weighted with history, no intelligent person can claim to have named their child Adolph 'because it just sounded cute.'

And to claim to be non racist in this case, when in our country it's most common to name your child after someone you respect or endear, is just stupid.

Should parents be allowed to name thier children with such stigmatic names? Awesome question, but one most likely going to be answered by my betters. I just don't know.

Dwayne

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where does it end? Are we going to yank a male Leslie from his parents because he might get made fun of later?

This is classic. Liberals love to scream about keeping the government's hands off their bodies and out of their bedroom,s but as soon as their sensibilities are offended , send in the G-men!

Those kids names feel wrong, but that doesn't mean they are wrong in the interpretation of the US Constitution. Honestly, I doubt those that penned the original document had any of the same interpretation of their rights as we do of ours today. You have to wonder where exactly does a freedom of speech begin and end. Words are just words after all, and what may be offense to me may not be offensive to those around me. We have words that are considered profanity, why can't we add names to the list of profanity and unacceptable language in society?

I'm a parent, and I thought about my son's name for a long time before I settled on it. I wanted a good, solid, traditional name. He was my boy alone so there wasn't any competition from his donor when I was selecting his name. I settled on Matthew John. The least of my concern was how common the names are. I wanted names that meant something to me, and both of them do. More importantly, I wanted my child to have a shot at a very normal experience at school. A Matthew has a far less chance of being harassed and beaten up than an Adolph Hitler.

Most of the parents I know feel the safety and well-being of their children is paramount to anything else in life. I'd be willing to wager these kids are in for butt-kicking after butt-kicking in school and the parents are to blame. They might never lay a hand to them, but the gave the entire population of any school those kids attend a BIG reason to single those kids out. Is there such a thing as abuse by proxy? If not, they invented it when they named those kids.

Where does it end? Are we going to yank a male Leslie from his parents because he might get made fun of later?

This is classic. Liberals love to scream about keeping the government's hands off their bodies and out of their bedroom,s but as soon as their sensibilities are offended , send in the G-men!

I'm not at all opposed to them legally changing their own names to suit their ideological/political views regardless whether or not they offend me or others. But does their freedom of speech over ride their children's right to the persuit of happiness? Do they have the right to get their kids' assess kicked every day? Retard their ability to blend and belong with their classmates, to get a job?

Dwayne

I'm not at all opposed to them legally changing their own names to suit their ideological/political views regardless whether or not they offend me or others. But does their freedom of speech over ride their children's right to the persuit of happiness? Do they have the right to get their kids' assess kicked every day? Retard their ability to blend and belong with their classmates, to get a job?

Dwayne

Actually, Yes they do. That is the freedom you enjoy too.

Yes, they are white trash racists. but they still have the freedom to name their kids anything they want to. No one else besides the parents and the children have a say in it!

Actually, Yes they do. That is the freedom you enjoy too.

Yes, they are white trash racists. but they still have the freedom to name their kids anything they want to. No one else besides the parents and the children have a say in it!

At what point did the children have a say in the their name? Just curious. I think Dwayne raised a good point, yes freedom of speech in regards to naming your child, but at what point do we allow that right to impede the child's pursuit of happiness?

You know as well as I do if a new employee showed up for work (provided he even got hired), and introduced himself as Adolf Hitler, you would make preconceived notions about him. He might seem to be a nice genuine guy, but you would think otherwise on a lower level. You would know he had no choice in his naming, but you also would presume to know how he was raised and what his beliefs or the beliefs around him were as he grew up. Same goes for the girl...

Their lives became extremely difficult because of a name. I do not see the parents running down to the courthouse and filing a petition to change THEIR name. Why not?

Usually when the child is named... They can't formulate enough thought, to produce speech... So, it's not like it's even possible for the kid to say "no".

I'd probably have killed my parents, if they named me after Hitler. Either that, or myself.