Offensive or Freedom of Speech?

ERDoc

Discuss...

HOLLAND TOWNSHIP, N.J. – Police say three New Jersey siblings whose names have Nazi connotations have been placed in the custody of the state.

Holland Township Police Sgt. John Harris says workers from the state Division of Youth and Family Services on Tuesday removed 3-year-old Adolf Hitler Campbell and his younger sisters, JoyceLynn Aryan Nation Campbell and Honszlynn Hinler Jeannie Campbell from their home Tuesday.

Harris says family services did not tell police the reason the children were removed. Agency spokeswoman Kate Bernyk says it does not comment on specific cases.

The children and their parents, Heath and Deborah Campbell, received attention last month when a supermarket bakery refused to put Adolf Hitler Campbell's name on a birthday cake.

Cut and paste from Yahoo.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The removal of the kids is messed up, despite the names. YET, there could be a good case about the psychological damage they could be doing to them by giving them those names and raising them with those ideals. BUT that's what freedom of speech and of beliefs is about.

You CAN have F'ed up beliefs and you CAN raise your children that way. It's probably as damaging as some certain religions, but we accept that parents have to right to raise their kids believing what they like.

I believe the Netherlands actually has a law regarding what you can name children...you need to apply for the name and they can refuse it if they don't feel it is appropriate. Names regarded as potentially damageing or causeing undue stress are not allowed. I recall this off the top of my head but it came up as discussion several years ago when it made the news when a couple named their son Yankee Doodle and the last name was indeed Dandy, and a commentator remarked on the law in the Netherlands.

Germany may have a ban on certain names as well, along with the laws against the display , except for historical purposes in a established and recognized institute, of any nazi paraphanlia.

Since the agency didn't comment on specific reasons for removing the kids, we don't know if we are getting the full story here. There are most likely other compelling reasons for taking these kids from the parents custody. I can only assume that the bad judgement they have shown in choosing their childrens names must have spilled over into other aspects of their parenting.

nice white trash family right there. i saw the interview with these mental midgets, what a pair. the real crime is this kids haircut.

LOL, for once we agree on something. Maybe there is hope for us yet.

I remember seeing this on TV when he went to the press about the cake. The father had said he wanted to name his kid Adolf because it was an unsual and uncommon name. I can understand and respect that. Maybe even the name in full, Adolf Hitler. Its just a damn name, regardless of the history behind a particular person who held the same.

He went on to say that he is not a racist. I call bull sh*t on that.

I mean again Adolf Hitler... cool, whatever. But then you also have a kid named Aryon Nation? COME ON! You want unusual and uncommon names thats fine... but your kids names all have ties to racially biased history? Its a little more than a coincidence. Theres plenty of unsual names out there.

http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-164775

Here is an interesting take on it, read and smile. I agree with one of the comments, just because you can doesn't mean you should. Let's face it, there are certain things that will always be associated with other things. The name Adolph Hitler, while just a name, will always be associated with what happened in Europe. Do you really want your kid to have to bear that burdon? There is no doubt about it, these parents are pure racists. They are also idiots when it comes to their history or their spelling. It is Himmler, not Hinler.

Total white trash. thats all they are, and their kids will grow up to be sucking the governments welfare tit as well. :x

"Dad, id like you to meet my new boyfriend. Yes, hes actually a boy, dont let the haircut fool you. Adolf Hitler, meet my parents."

Seriously? :roll:

http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-164775

Here is an interesting take on it, read and smile. I agree with one of the comments, just because you can doesn't mean you should. Let's face it, there are certain things that will always be associated with other things. The name Adolph Hitler, while just a name, will always be associated with what happened in Europe. Do you really want your kid to have to bear that burdon? There is no doubt about it, these parents are pure racists. They are also idiots when it comes to their history or their spelling. It is Himmler, not Hinler.

Oh Im not saying that there is no burden of naming your child that, nor am I saying its even appropriate. What Im questioning is his claims (based on a TV interview I saw last month) that he "is not racist." He backed it by saying that he wanted the child to have a name that isnt common [today]. That just because one man with the same name years ago did the things he did does not mean his child will do the same or even be comparable. If he truley meant that yea whatever, if he wants to name his kid Adolf then let him, its a legit argument in my eye. But they he goes on telling the names of his other kids including "Aryon Nation," ummmm yup your ONLY looking for unusual names and not a racist at all.