Offensive or Freedom of Speech?

ERDoc

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not impeding a child's' right to pursue happiness because we have laws to protect those rights just as the 1st amendment strongly states "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press, or the right of the people[...]" Which has been interpreted multiple times to extend freedom of speech to freedom of expression. There is nothing standing in the way of the child going to court to officially change their name anytime they wish to do so. The parents were merely exercising their rights given to them under the 1st Amendment.

Doesn't mean we have to agree with it but who are we to judge others actions? We allow offensive tattoos, haircuts, piercings, etc in our career alone... so why can't we allow this pass with out judgment?

Because until the child is OLD enough to realize how his name is harming him, and old enough to petition the court on his own, he will have already suffered through many years of torment.

Plus, on every job application, credit check, background check, anything to do with his name and SS# which is a lot.....there is always a section that asks for former names, aliases, etc.

He will have to list his former name. Do you think once people see that they will be like "oh he is a reformed racist", or will they form an impression of his character and keep it to themselves...will they discriminate? One thing they may not do is ask him why he had that name, affording him the opportunity to explain that his parents lacked serious good judgment when choosing his name.

If the parents want a name such as this, then they should change their OWN names.

Unusual names are find, but seriously Katie, a name such as Hitler and Aryan Nation...common sense should prevail.

I couldn't agree more AK....but common sense is not common at all. I just studied the case where a woman sued the US government because she tripped over mail left on her door step and WON! common sense would tell you to look where you are going when walking but how many of us actually do that. One thing that is great about this nation is you have the freedom and right to name your offspring that, but you also have that same freedom to walk around with out fear of persecution and discrimination... so you can't pick and chose which times we want to allow our citizens to have freedoms it is (for now) an all or nothing thing fortunately and unfortunately.

We are also a nation of Big Brother and Government meddling in personal affairs.

The government likes to protect children, as they should, as we all should.

Do you not view this as a case where a child should be "protected"?

I agree with the others who have posted before as to the fact that we might not be getting the entire story....so on that note I am not entirely sure I can form an opinion one way or another. I do think though that all children should be protected, it is just a case now whether the name will cause such harm (my opinion is that this can cause harm but it also can't... it's all in how the child is raised...either accepting his/her differences and embracing them as his own or taking it as a negative and letting the thoughts/opinions of others change how he lives.)

As Scuba pointed out, the child can change their name, when they reach the age to make that decision. The Government is not there to decide what name you can give your child. I am sure that there is more to the story then just the names.

How many of you use your middle name at all? Hitler would be his middle name and he can choose not to use it. Adolf is a common German name and there is nothing wrong with it. So how is his life going to be torment, if he does not use his middle name?

I do not agree with what they named their kids, but that is their choice and their right. I could bring up a lot of names that are popular today, that I think are ridiculous. But, it was the parents right to name their child what they wanted.

If we look at the child being tormented growing up, should the gov. outlaw interracial marriage? The child will grow up being made fun of by both black and white. Does that make it wrong?

Yes, that is a dumb comparison, but it should show you how this all sounds!

Naw, dumb comparison.

Inter racial babies are accepted today as opposed to yesterday.

I guess if we wait long enough we will all be naming our babies Osama, Saddam, Hitler and many other similar names soon enough. It will be the latest rage.

So then you have no issue with say....

Mikey Rape Bitches Womack?

Joe Kill Niggers Jones?

You would consider that proper and acceptable parental care of the children named in such a manner? You don't see the need to protect a child from such ignorance? And obviously the tattoos, piercings, etc are not relevant to this conversation as again, we are not allowed to apply perminent stigma to our children that they should be alowed to choose, or reject for themselves when old enough to do so.

Dwayne

reaper, I don't think it is the kids choice to use his name or not. It would seem to me that the parents are advertising his name. WalMart (or whoever had the issue with the cake) wouldn't make the cake as requested because the parents wanted to put Adolph Hitler on it. Who really puts their child's middle name on a birthday cake (at least in the northeast where this occured)? Only someone who wants everyone to know what their child's middle name is. I'm not for govt involvement in out personal lives, but a line has to be drawn. Children need to be protected from parental stupidity. It is one thing to name your kids something unusual but to name them something with such a horrible connotation is abusive. I thought naming your kid Candida was the worst I heard, but I think this takes the cake (no pun intended).