Soft backboards?

JPINFV

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like what DocHarris was describing. Need to figure out a way to clean it of blood, etc.

The vacuum splints are nice. I want to warn you of 1 thing.....Make sure to put a sheet under the pt. I had a pt with a hip fx that was brought into our ER by the completely volly service on the west end of our county. The hospital left the pt on the splint and transported after the weather got good enough for us to ground her. By the time I got there, she was stuck to the splint. My partner, pt and I agreed that she didn't want to be moved and put through the pain neccessary to get her off the splint. (I gave her the choice since she was awake and alert.) We got into the hospital where she was having surgery and got a bit of a chewing from the PA who was there. When the pt and I explained what had happened, he backed off us and chewed the local hospital a new one.

For BBP I was thinking the best way would be to take the foam and coat it entirely in vinyl (not sewn cover so there aren't any traps for fluids). I saw it first with the more expensive pool noodles they came out with that kids supposedly couldn't chew on as easily.

Interesting concept... could be very benneficial to rural areas with long transport times especially.

I love the memory foam idea however I see three main problems. 1 being cost... its still pretty expensive stuff. I can barley justify buying a memory foam pillow. 2 being size... at least how Im picturing it you would have some sort of cover or pad on a regular backboard. The main board being the source of ridgidity and to tie off straps. This would require more space to store in the ambulance or less to be carried. Additionally, it may take more to board a patient lying down as you probably wont be able to slide it under them. 3rd is bloodborne pathogeons. Obviously it would have to be wraped in some sort of material such as whats on our stretcher mattresses... but that may comprimise the memory foams ability to take shape. It would have to be lined with something flexible however very durable and tear risistant.

Not trying to shut the idea down... I think its a great one! Just thought Id throw out some potential (opinionated) flaws if someone picks up production of such idea.

1 being cost... its still pretty expensive stuff. I can barley justify buying a memory foam pillow.

The company would be buying it at bulk wholesale price which would be cheaper. Not cheap, just cheaper. There's also plenty of other expensive item out there that EMS spends money on. Unlike other toys, this one will actually be used. If I had a choice of a padded backboard, or say, a knee immbolizer/traction splint combination, I'd rather have a padded backboard. Also, it would be reusable so the cost would be defrayed over time.

2 being size... at least how Im picturing it you would have some sort of cover or pad on a regular backboard. The main board being the source of ridgidity and to tie off straps. This would require more space to store in the ambulance or less to be carried. Additionally, it may take more to board a patient lying down as you probably wont be able to slide it under them.

The way I envision it would be having the foam integrated into the backboard with, say, a plastic/vinyl covering. Essentially the patient would be able to slide over it and once in position would sink into the foam.

3rd is bloodborne pathogeons. Obviously it would have to be wraped in some sort of material such as whats on our stretcher mattresses... but that may comprimise the memory foams ability to take shape. It would have to be lined with something flexible however very durable and tear risistant.

I have neither the technical knowhow or experience to say if this would cause a problem. Obviously the thicker the material, the sturdier it would be, but at the cost of losing the ability to conform to the patient's shape.

Not trying to shut the idea down... I think its a great one! Just thought Id throw out some potential (opinionated) flaws if someone picks up production of such idea.

Oh noes, someone has some criticism.

onoz_omg2.gif

How about bubble wrap placed on the conventional board. Not only will it provide good cushioning but it will also give you and the pt something to do on those long transports.

This does have some merit, over and above the entertainment value of bubblewrap... It would be disposable, which would solve the contamination problems.

Could we combine the two theories? Have something that had the disposeability of bubblewrap with the shape of memory foam? Kinda like those foam sculpture beads that you can mold into any shape... I realize, cost is still going to be a bit of an issue, but the idea of something more comfortable for our patients does have great merit.

Now, if you don't see me for a while, I will be in the basement with my spineboard, duct tape, bubblewrap, sculpting craft beads, and memory foam, trying to figure out a prototype.....

But if it's not 50x the price (and not as good), will it ever be signed off on as approved equipment? I don't know, if you can't strike five different committees to compare products, how could it get done in this province. Look how long it's taken for the new ACR to roll out.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.