Soft backboards?

JPINFV

I'm just curious about something. The detriments of spending a long time on a backboard have been well documented, but has anyone came up with a way to reduce pressure points? I'm thinking of something like a backboard covered with a tempurpedic like material to help cushion a patient while still maintaining some firmness.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great topic, and sign me up to invest as soon as you get the patent --LOL. I dont think hard spine boards immobilize anything. I think you are dead on with some type of "foam" or soft material that would fit every nook and cranny. The only problem with that, is how do you make it sturdy enough to be able to lift a 300lb patient up a hill. Any straps you have would have to be sewn in, which would be the weak point in your design.

Place the closed core foam on top of the board (like a sleeve) with the clips still exposed. Makes it easy to take off the pad and clean it and decreases cost for a service to retrofit as they don't have to buy new boards and straps. Allows you to lose the pad when you don't want it for some reason. Maybe even do it as a half pad so that the pad doesn't get in the way or where the sager splint would usually rest.

^

I was thinking something like that. You wouldn't lose all (or maybe not any) of the actual backboard, but a top layer of foam. You would still have the hard plastic making up the majority of the board, just not the part that matters the most to the patient.

Have used Vacume Spinal Imobilizers ... but they are NOT inexpensive and cant even remember who makes them, I think like 10 G a piece ???? One can fall asleep in one of those, like an old bean bag chair concept with the air pumped out ... very sweet kit.

In the boonies I pack a SKED and OSS an only 24 pounds, raises, lowers the works.

I like this idea DocHarris got a picture ?

I've got a couple of boards in storage with my teaching stuff. Maybe I'll drag one out and try a mock-up with some memory foam and duct tape. See how it works. Sounds like a good procrastination project.

Edit: No picture. I'm spitballing it at this point.

Definitely the Vacmat!

More secure than a backboard, covers the entire body, conforms to the voids, able to tilt the patient on their side it they need to puke - without them sliding about all over the place, and doesn't lead to a stage II on the sacrum.

http://www.neann.com/vacmat6.htm

Backboards were never designed for transporting purposes. Unfortunately, something, somewhere has gone very wrong and most providers in the US can't see beyond these horrible devices.

Suppose so. I vaguely remember seeing that in a catalogue but we've never used them in class and I'm pretty sure they're not on the Ambulances anywhere in Ontario. Looks pretty good too. I'd be interested in playing with one. What's the cost on them compared to an LSB?

I've heard of them, but never seen them. The true fact about spinal immbolization is that there is no actual evidence that it works in the first place. Here's an interesting article that was posted recently either here or on the other forum I read. http://www.emsresponder.com/features/artic...;siteSection=16

That said, spinal immbolization is going to be here for a while and, as far as I can tell, so is using a long back board to transport patients. As much as I'd love to throw out spinal immbolization for most trauma patients, I'd rather keep my license. In the mean time, we might as well make it as comfortable as possible for our patients.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.