Is Racism Still Alive In EMS

crotchitymedic1986

Have you heard or used the "N" word at work in 2008 ?  

20 members have voted

1. 1.

• yes
    • no
    • only by other African Americans

I don't need to take a poll to know that jokes about Jews and Catholics (not a race, but makes the same point)...

Jews are not a race. They are a species.

I'll give Obama credit for one thing; the quality and quantity of "AA jokes" has greatly improved since he was elected! :D

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, I have to disagree. You see, I had to sit through several seminars to be compliant with additions of codes and federal guidelines. Those included sexual harassment, racism, discrimination, etc. This has been several years ago, but I recall them enough that I could offer solutions, should a member approach me with a problem.

One of the terms from racism, whether or not someone could sue our ass, was intent vs impact. Basically, if you tell a joke and it deeply offends someone, and they quit.. Whether your intent was to make them laugh, instead, it doesn't matter. The impact was, it created a hostile environment for them, and affected their ability to do their job. Now, your employer is liable.

..And I agree with it. The workplace is not the kind of environment for sexual, racist, ethnic, etc. jokes that could offend someone. Do that on your own time. Racism can be directed from anyone, to anyone. Black persons calling other black persons the "N" word, isn't okay when they're on the clock. Suppose they did it in public, in uniform, and offended someone? That could look bad for the company. You tell a joke, everyone laughs, so you do it more. People laugh, but inside, someone is offended; it's best to stick to jokes that can't be deemed as a specific racial, sexual, etc, joke.

I like to have a good time as much as the next person, to kill stress, but I would never want to make someone feel uncomfortable.

4cmk6, we don't disagree. I was addressing the first of four questions on the list labeled "Personally," which comprised a separate list from the set of four questions in the category labeled "Workplace." Just as with practical jokes, I believe humor that conveys disrespect is appropriate only when you know the butt of the joke so well that you can accurately predict a pleased response to both its delivery and its circumstances. Since the perpetrator cannot control all the relevant circumstances of public venues (such as workplaces), decency requires erring on the side of preserving everyone's dignity. As you rightly said, risqué humor is for one's own time, where all parties are free to protest without inviting repercussions, or to withdraw from the association.

OK, Let us recap:

1. 50/50 on use of the "N" word in your EMS workplace recently.

2. Few African Americans in your company or in leadership positions.

3. No one has invited an AA to dinner.

4. No one has dated or married an AA.

And now you want your only AA kicked off the island --- that sounds about right,

YET THERE IS NO RACISM LEFT IN EMS. GUESS YOU GUYS ARE RIGHT, YOU HAVE PROVEN ME WRONG AGAIN.

Ok so lets recap a useless and generally negative discussion with statistics that are based on yet another foolish non scientific poll.

Yoo hoo crotchitymedic1986, are you getting the message ?

no cheer

OK, Let us recap:

Of those who responded:

1. 50/50 on use of the "N" word in your EMS workplace recently.

2. Few African Americans in your company or in leadership positions.

3. No one has invited an AA to dinner.

4. No one has dated or married an AA.

And now you want your only AA kicked off the island

Some of us find polls silly, and some of us find certain polls silly, and therefore skip them.

That, by the way, was discovered by taking a poll.

FAIL, crotch!

You started your math in the middle of the equation, and have therefore come to a faulty conclusion.

The first question you need to ask is how many African Americans are even becoming medics in the first place. Not many. That's where the low numbers come from. They aren't choosing the profession in large numbers, so naturally they will not be found in large numbers.

You make it hard for me to keep defending you when you toss stinkers like this out.

My apologies to the great dust, and thanks for having my back. And although AA in EMS/Fire are a minority, I do not agree that is why there are few in leadership positions, especially in the past, when a degree was not required for such positions.

I find it to be similar to College Football and Pro Ball. African Americans rarely even get a chance to interview for head coach positions. How many african american coaches did U of Tennessee interview before deciding on Kiffen ?

You have to remember that AA did not even have the opportunity to go to college until the 60's, so we are way behind educationally. So as our industry demands a minimum of a BS degree to obtain a leadership position, we will be left further behind.

Maybe you should stop living in the past. Sure they did not have the opportunity to go to College until the 60's, ok fine, guess what it's 2008 now, almost 2009! Stop using that as an excuse.

BS for a leadership position? Good otherwise this profession will go down the drains even quicker. Guess what it's not racism if someone chooses not to go to school, therefore not getting into a leadership position.