Is Racism Still Alive In EMS

crotchitymedic1986

Have you heard or used the "N" word at work in 2008 ?  

20 members have voted

1. 1.

• yes
    • no
    • only by other African Americans

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for atleast answering one of the questions posted. You are the first to atleast do that. I wished some of the others would have the guts to answer all of the questions. But then they would have to admit I was right. AGAIN. We cant have that.

A number of people have answered your questions, but because they have not provided the answer you wanted to see, you refuse to acknowledge their answer.

And, the "they would have to admit that I was right. AGAIN".... oh please.. get over yourself. In no way have you proven that you are right... you have proven that you cannot provide statistical evidence for your opinions, you have proven you cannot discuss opinions which are different than your own, and you have proven that you play the martyr ("everyone attacks me") when confronted to provide actual evidence of your claims.

School:

1. How many african americans are employed in your workplace ? If you dont know the number, you can guess a percentage ?

1 Black Student

1 Middle Eastern

2. How many african americans are in leadership positions in your organization ?

In my program, none. Two white male full time instructors. Two white female full time instructors. One vacant.

3. In 2008, did you hear any person in your workplace use the "N" word or tell AA jokes ?

No.

4. If you looked at all of your transports and refusals, would you have a higher number of refusals among african americans than you do whites (you might be shocked by the real data, so think before you jump to a conclusion --- AA refusal rates are usually double whites, even though they are only a small percentage of calls).

Doubt it. Peterborough county is predominantly white and rapidly becoming a bedroom community for other areas for professionals. The visible minority population of this county is more skewed towards post-secondary students and the middle class. Refusal rates in general are low but I don't have access to that data. Further, even if I did, since we don't collect racial data on ACR's I would have no way of demonstrating any facts.

Personally (If you are white, answer these questions):

1. Have you used the "N" word or told an AA joke in 2008 ? That includes all the Obama jokes.

No

2. How many african americans have you dated ?

None. But I only dated three other girls before I dated my fiancee. (one was Chinese) We've been together since High School.

3. Did you marry an african american ? Would you ?

No. And I would marry anyone I was in love with regardless of race.

4. In 2008, I invited ___________ (how many) african americans to my home for dinner.

My good friend and colleague multiple times. Lunch and the movies too.

1. How many african americans are employed in your workplace ? If you dont know the number, you can guess a percentage ?

Zero.

2. How many african americans are in leadership positions in your organization ?

None that I know of.

3. In 2008, did you hear any person in your workplace use the "N" word or tell AA jokes ?

I have heard people use the 'N' word, but nobody ever makes fun of the Africans. Most of us empathize with the large number of troubles the Africans face on a daily basis.

4. If you looked at all of your transports and refusals, would you have a higher number of refusals among african americans than you do whites (you might be shocked by the real data, so think before you jump to a conclusion --- AA refusal rates are usually double whites, even though they are only a small percentage of calls).

Never thought to look. I would guess people of white skin refuse more.

Personally (If you are white, answer these questions): I am :)

1. Have you used the "N" word or told an AA joke in 2008 ? That includes all the Obama jokes.

I have used the 'N' word. I have told/heard some Obama jokes. I do not recall making fun of Africans though, I have respect for Africans.

2. How many african americans have you dated ?

None. I do not find many Africans in my neck of the woods.

3. Did you marry an african american ? Would you ?

I am not married. I would consider marriage with an African though.

4. In 2008, I invited ___________ (how many) african americans to my home for dinner.

Zero. Again, in my neck of the woods, I do not know any Africans.

Also not really sure what the refusal rate has to do with anything. If somebody refuses the blame is on them not me. In fact I would say that based on call volume whites are P***ies, I have never been called to a black persons house because of a spinter, a runny nose, or because "my kid is not listening to me."

You know something... reading some of these questions I cant help but wonder the relevance. Yes there are employees of different ethnic backrounds in my work place and I respect them 100% for that. I only judge co-workers based on work performance and team work performance.

Hey crotch... show me some damn facts that not having minorities in the work place is automatically racist. And PROVE to me that because someone has not dated or married someone of a different ethnic backround is racist.

FYI Im Irish American, I have dated 2 African Americans, and an Asian American. By the way, Im married to a Mexican American.

But if you really want facts... show me facts that ALL companies without minorities employed and ALL people who havnt dated or married minorities are in fact racist.

(edit): Oh yes by the way Im straight.... and have worked with and gone to school with several homosexual males. I respect them all fully for their choices. This by the way has been at municipal, private and volunteer levels as well as other non-fire/ems related jobs.

I will never deny that discrimination still exists in the work place. But I have never personally seen or experienced it.

Jokes about race are hardly proof of racism. It depends on the joke, how it's told, to whom it's told, and with what intent.

Sorry, I have to disagree. You see, I had to sit through several seminars to be compliant with additions of codes and federal guidelines. Those included sexual harassment, racism, discrimination, etc. This has been several years ago, but I recall them enough that I could offer solutions, should a member approach me with a problem.

One of the terms from racism, whether or not someone could sue our ass, was intent vs impact. Basically, if you tell a joke and it deeply offends someone, and they quit.. Whether your intent was to make them laugh, instead, it doesn't matter. The impact was, it created a hostile environment for them, and affected their ability to do their job. Now, your employer is liable.

..And I agree with it. The workplace is not the kind of environment for sexual, racist, ethnic, etc. jokes that could offend someone. Do that on your own time. Racism can be directed from anyone, to anyone. Black persons calling other black persons the "N" word, isn't okay when they're on the clock. Suppose they did it in public, in uniform, and offended someone? That could look bad for the company. You tell a joke, everyone laughs, so you do it more. People laugh, but inside, someone is offended; it's best to stick to jokes that can't be deemed as a specific racial, sexual, etc, joke.

I like to have a good time as much as the next person, to kill stress, but I would never want to make someone feel uncomfortable.