Male Homosexual Partner

crotchitymedic1986

As a male medic/emt do you enjoy working with gay men  

56 members have voted

1. 1.

• I am fine with it
    • I will if I have too
    • No way dude

Well the problem is dust, that liberals think with their hearts and not their minds. They can not grasp the concept that you dislike a group for what they do, therefore your dislike is irrational and a fear in their eyes. I have the same problem with Muslims. Until the "good" muslims stand up and confront the "bad" muslims, I will hate them all. Call me whatever you like.

You make no sense. I will call you ignorant.

Just to let you know, the extremist Muslims are not considered Muslim by the, as you say, 'good Muslims'.

Maybe I wasn't entirely clear, but I don't care who anyone hates or doesn't hate. I'd prefer to see less hate in the world, but that's neither here nor there. My point was regardless of who you hate, who you fuck, who you pray to (or don't) how much melanin is in your skin, or what you've got between your legs, when you get to work, the person who has the onus to shape up or ship out is not the person who hates/dislikes/feels uneasy or the person who is the source of those feelings, but the one who allows it to spill over from their personal life to the job. How I or you feel about someone's sexuality in and of itself is, and should be treated as, irrelevant to the field of EMS.

If I'm like most men, the thought of 2 fine-@ss babes getting it on is big time turn-on, whereas the thought of 2 manly bulld!kes (or 2 men) has mildly nauseating property. Having said that, I have no problem working with any of them, and I have a really good time working with lesbians(hey, they're fun). If there are any gay men where I work, they hide it really well. At my part-time job years ago there was one flamer, and he was cool. It was like working with Will.

• 11 months later...

because I believe that they are the ones who are most discriminated against. And they have no protection.

One of the finest medics and best people I work with is openly gay. He was working for a fire department and was subjected to harassment of every kind, primarily by the chief. He took them on in court and won. Half the department admired his courage, the other half despised him for bring down one of the good ole boys. He eventually quit and is now working for a private. There was the occasional raised eyebrow and I am sure a lot of day room chatter, but it took very little time for even the skeptics to recognize that this was one cool dude with a lot of courage.

So crotchity - the protection is there, but like most things, a person has to be prepared to fight for it. Fortunately, when an individual spends the first part of his or her life coming to terms with difficult stuff, the fight is par for the course and totally doable. I think this is what gives people who have experienced injustice, abuse of power and discrimination the edge over those who grew up with all the good cards. When the excrement hits the ventilation device (because sooner or later it does for everyone) those experienced in dealing with crap have the advantage.

Maybe someone saw the POTUS's claim to address the don't ask, don't tell policy in the military, which dragged out this thread again?

Anyway...

EVERYONE has a bias of some type. Some are worse/more destructive/vulgar/strange than others. The question is, how do you ACT on those biases? Do you treat that person differently? Do you think less of them in terms of their competency based on that bias? Do you think they should be given special considerations- good or bad- vs the rest of the population?

I am prejudiced against stupid people. Problem is I am conflicted about that since their mere existence guarantees we all have jobs.

In one of the ER's I worked at, most of the male RN's were gay. Some were more flamboyant than others. One in particular was Indian, who came from a wealthy family back in Southern India. One of the funniest guys I have ever met. Witty, razor sharp tongue, and did not tolerate idiocy. Our area had a huge gay population and he was constantly laughing at how some would act like queens, or butch. He is also one of the best nurses I have ever met. He would make comments like "well, you know how us fags are..." when someone acted particularly stupid. One of my favorite pass times was when the new crop of residents would make their rounds and I'd point out a potential love interest for him. He would initially blush(a funny thing to see a dark skinned guy do), and say in jest something like- "Well he's clearly not a fag but I bet I could turn him!"

During some of the rare serious conversations we had, he talked about what it was like growing up in India, being gay. He denied it for years and even was married for a brief time to a woman- it didn't work. He said he loves going home to visit but attitudes in his family and his caste are pretty old fashioned.

Point is, unless the person is militant about their issue- whether it's race, gender, feminism, sexual orientation, politics- I have no problem with them. To my knowledge, I have never worked with a gay man, but with several lesbians and I have to admit, it's a bit strange when a female and I are checking out the same woman's rear end. LOL

I've worked with a couple lesbians who were extremely militant and always looking for a confrontation. They would see a perceived slight in damn near any comment someone made to them. I had it out with one of them and said their sexual preference wasn't the problem for me, it was their piss poor attitude. They of course assumed I was a homophobe- much easier to throw out a label like that than to admit you have a lousy personality.