Male Homosexual Partner

crotchitymedic1986

As a male medic/emt do you enjoy working with gay men  

56 members have voted

1. 1.

• I am fine with it
    • I will if I have too
    • No way dude

I remember the first time that I got assigned to work with a flaming male homosexual partner. I am not a homophobe by any means, and had always thought of myself as tolerant (had an uncle and a nephew who were homosexual). The only thing bad about working with him was his phone conversations between him and his partner (especially at night). The conversations were much the same as you would expect between girlfriend and boyfriend, but it was a little creepy to hear him talking to a dude about how much he wished he was at home so that they could cuddle, kiss, etc......

Anyway, the reason I bring this up is that EMS has pretty much accepted lesbians for sometime now, but the flaming males could only seem to get hired at private or hospital based services. Has that changed, or do the fire-ems organizations still discriminate against homosexual males who are not hiding in the closet ?

Has that changed, or do the fire-ems organizations still discriminate against homosexual males who are not hiding in the closet ?

I wont say it dosnt happen because I dont know. But it IS illegal in the states... unless you join the military, they for some reason have the legal right to ban it.

I do know of quite a few homosexual males in EMS, private, volunteer and municipal... they do their jobs just as well as anyone else.

In terms of conversations you may overhear and be uncomfortable with, either leave the room or tell them you feel uncomfortable. But if you do the later of the two... make sure you do the same with the heterosexual couples otherwise it is discrimination.

With all respect Crotchity, this thread is a little out of line in my opinion.

Why is it out of line ? I believe that homosexual males are still discriminated against in Fire/EMS, maybe you guys can prove me wrong. I think homosexual males who want to work for a municipality have to hide their gayness, or they will never get hired by most Fire Departments. You are correct to say it is illegal to discriminate, but that doesnt mean it doesnt happen; employers are just smart enough to not say that was the reason someone wasnt hired.

PS : Actually it is not illegal to discriminate against homosexuals in most states.

I remember the first time that I got assigned to work with a flaming male homosexual partner.

Do you remember the first female partner? How about the first Lesbian partner?

WHO CARES????????????????

Just because they are gay does not mean they want you in bed, just the same as not every female partner wants you in bed. This thread shoud die a speedy death.

Why is it out of line ? I believe that homosexual males are still discriminated against in Fire/EMS, maybe you guys can prove me wrong.

Now respectfully, Im not going to say that it was your intention or how you truley feel... but you say you dont mind then say its a little weird when a gay male is talking to a significant other. How do you feel when a gay female does the same? How do you feel when a hetero person is doing the same? If your uneasy, your unseay, it dosnt mean your against it... but indirectly it is still discriminating in its ways.

I think homosexual males who want to work for a municipality have to hide their gayness, or they will never get hired by most Fire Departments.

You think they should hide it or they have to hide it? Not implying that you think they should... just asking for clarification.

You are correct to say it is illegal to discriminate, but that doesnt mean it doesnt happen; employers are just smart enough to not say that was the reason someone wasnt hired.

I know, Im not denying that it happens. For that matter Im not denying that discrimination of any kind still occurs today involving employment and promotions.

PS : Actually it is not illegal to discriminate against homosexuals in most states.

Its called EEOE (Equal Oppurtunity Employment/Employer). And I believe that its law for EEOE information to be posted in any place of employment to inform persons of their rights. And I have yet to apply somewhere that does not claim to be an EEOE. This dosnt mean people actually comply to it... there is plenty of red tape to deny someone employment without getting caught discriminating against them. For instance if you didnt want a (non-english speaking) immigrant working for you, you can legally make an employment requirment to communicate well in english. But fact of the matter is it is illegal to discriminate against a person.

Anyways crotchity, Im not saying your opinion is out of line and Im not saying that something like this is or isnt a problem. To me its just something that can go unmentioned. Your asking in your OP if it still happens against homosexual males... discrimination happens against everyone still! If you were asking for ways to address discrimination then I could see it post worthy...

And the EEOC, nor any federal agency protects the employment rights of homosexuals. EEOC covers discrimination dealing with gender, race, religion. Handicap rights were added under the americans with disabilities act. But homosexuals do not have any protection.