14 Day EMT B class

Arkymedic

I'm laughing so hard that I'm crying. :roll:

Just when I thought we had a winner here.

Y'all just go ahead and laugh. You guys think that textbooks and clinicals are going to prepare you for the field? I learned more stuff in the field than I had in the classroom. In the field, I'm always reading ECGs, doing patient assessment, giving medication, working codes, dealing with trauma, starting IVs, etc., etc., more than you would ever do in a few hundred hours of clinical and class time. As a former teacher, I'll tell you that hands-on is always the best way to go than to sit through lecture and go through a bunch of silly scenarios that people pull from their nasty behinds.

Y'all just go ahead and laugh. You guys think that textbooks and clinicals are going to prepare you for the field? I learned more stuff in the field than I had in the classroom. In the field, I'm always reading ECGs, doing patient assessment, giving medication, working codes, dealing with trauma, starting IVs, etc., etc., more than you would ever do in a few hundred hours of clinical and class time. As a former teacher, I'll tell you that hands-on is always the best way to go than to sit through lecture and go through a bunch of silly scenarios that people pull from their nasty behinds.

If your school left all the education to your preceptor then your school FAILED

If as an instructor you did the same thing then you FAIL

We're not laughing at the value of experience. We're laughing at your suggestion that we should have less classroom time.

I agree. You FAIL. Good thing you're not still teaching.

I think they should be taught more than to drive, CPR, and basic first aid.....

First off, they need to be taught to cook. Because between calls I need someone who can cook a good meal, I'm tired of eating out or this slapping crap together casserole.

Another thing, stretcher fetching. Very important. Might as well teach them how to work the cot too.

Keeping their mouth shut.

Massage therapy (females with nice boobies only).

And finally, making my bed and cleaning the station.

That's a damn good basic right there.

I'm with the family today getting ready to have Christmas and while trying to get on the city, I was redirected to this:

http://www.unitekeducation.com/index.php option=com_content&task=view&id=127&Itemid=131

Now, I do not know about ya'll but a 14 day basic class scares the shit out of me. This is almost as scary as 3-6 mo paramedic courses...

It's actually longer than the basic program here. As it has been posted tho you'll do just fine because there isn't much other than learning the basics directly from your book. I would be more concerned with the actual length of the levels of above that because of the actual patient care that comes in.

You'll do just fine. Just remember tho, you get out of it what you put into it.

And just where did you learn how to do all of those things that you do in the field? I'm sure your preceptor had time to sit you down and teach you about reading EKGs and the science behind what you are looking at between calls. Learning how to properly read a normal EKG should take several hours. Experience is good, if you have the foundation of knowledge to built upon, otherwise you will just keep doing things wrong and not know they are wrong. Skills can be taught to monkeys, it is the ability to think and understand that comes from formal education.

Maybe you are on to something though. Maybe the 4 years of medical school is a waste of time. I'm sure all of those fancy scientific studies validating education were wrong. We should just throw med students out on to the wards and tell them to intubate, throw in central lines and chest tubes. Hell, with enough experience they will learn to manage acid-base disturbances (the learning curve is pretty steep after you kill 3 or 4 patients).

I agree. You FAIL. Good thing you're not still teaching.

Dang, Dusty, that was mean. What did I ever say to you? I guess we don't do too well with disagreeing with each other here, huh? :|

You know, sometimes it could do you guys some good to just simply listen to what the other guy has to say without making him seem like a do-do.

I think they should be taught more than to drive, CPR, and basic first aid.....

First off, they need to be taught to cook. Because between calls I need someone who can cook a good meal, I'm tired of eating out or this slapping crap together casserole.

Another thing, stretcher fetching. Very important. Might as well teach them how to work the cot too.

Keeping their mouth shut.

Massage therapy (females with nice boobies only).

And finally, making my bed and cleaning the station.

That's a damn good basic right there.

Sounds like you just described the ideal marriage life for the 1950s.

Dang, Dusty, that was mean. What did I ever say to you? I guess we don't do too well with disagreeing with each other here, huh? :|

You know, sometimes it could do you guys some good to just simply listen to what the other guy has to say without making him seem like a do-do.

And well deserved.

Every time one of you tossers gives that bul shit argument you did it denigrates the efforts that many of us have put in to get where we are, it flies in the face of the steps any other medical profession have taken to increase their competence, and more importantly, you prevent your country from advancing its EMS system because, quite frankly, you couldn't be assed if you had to actually do some hard yards with your head in the books in a program thats not measured in "hours".

The truth is, if you had to put more effort in, you could not be bothered doing it at all.