14 Day EMT B class

Arkymedic

I know but we talk about how "dumbed" down the program has become, and how we would like to see it be a year long or so, and here is someone making it 14 days now...

Actually for basic does not scare me. All basic course is first aid. You are taught skills no real education behind it. Sorry no offense to basics intended.

I know but we talk about how "dumbed" down the program has become, and how we would like to see it be a year long or so, and here is someone making it 14 days now...

Even when you look at most 6 month basic courses they really are only that long because they only meet for a couple hours each week with maybe a Saturday or 2 thrown in. Maybe more time to digest but really still only learned bandaging and splinting. In fact the two week basic courses have been around for at least a decade.

For a real change need it to be part of the paramedic degree program. Basic would then only be a temporary position that allows you to be out getting some patient contact w/o being completely in the way.

It seems about 1o days to long to me. All they really need is a good EVOC coarse./quote]

So they are really abrasive to you? :lol: But in a true Paramedic Degree COURSE I would want them getting patient exposure rather than driving the Paramedics. They would be third person on the ambulance.

This is what happens when a profession still measures their education as "hours of training".

I am mixed for the EMT-B. Our Flight service will often refer RNs interested in job to a 2 week course just to meet the basic requirements. Others who understand what they are getting into also do very well. Some are motivated enough to do very well and these programs have thrived for decades as spenac previously mentioned. Also, if someone has a couple of college A&P classes may also do very well in an accelerated course where the basic A&P is paint by numbers. College A&P will also make references to various disease processes as the different systems are studied. Often even these references will be much more detailed than what an EMT-B course offers.

Do I recommend an accelerated EMT program for the person who wants to go from 0 to hero? No.

There is also the deception of stating one's EMT class is a year long when it still is only 110 hours with no additional classes such as A&P. However, if one did attend a college program which stated 10 semester credits, that may put a slightly different weight to it. I would like to see EMT-B, if it is to remain as entry level , become a certificate that is no less then 32 semester credit hours.

I am, however, very opposed to the 3 month Paramedic class or anything less than 6 months. But, again, when it is "hours of training" there is little way to adequately compare "education" when just expessed in length of program.

Example of an accelerated Paramedic program:

http://www.pelhamtraining.com/index.htm

I don't believe in accerlated courses--I believe that the courses should run the required amount of hours or more, in other words a emt course should last at least one quarter of school 3 months before you take the written and practicals-not a 14 day course- As far as a Pgod course or pmedic course they should be full on at least 1500 hours of school clinicals and rides. Not some short come method.

I don't believe in accerlated courses--I believe that the courses should run the required amount of hours or more, in other words a emt course should last at least one quarter of school 3 months before you take the written and practicals-not a 14 day course- As far as a Pgod course or pmedic course they should be full on at least 1500 hours of school clinicals and rides. Not some short come method.

But that is just the point: Both accelerated EMT-B and EMT-P courses do meet the "hours" requirement as mandated by the state. They just do it quicker. Some could also argue if you need 6 months to do 110 "hours of training", you may be on the short bus.